1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So what sunglasses do you wear?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by cj797, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This week: Nike Premier EV1071. Just a slight brownish tortoise look; not quite a full wrap style. Non-polarized lenses.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I’m still wearing Wiley X Sabres, but just came into a couple of pairs that I’m going to try. My mom found some sunglasses that my stepdad had bought before he passed away. Turned out to be a pair of Oakley Gascans and a pair of Maui Jim Hanalei’s. The Gascans don’t fit very well, but I like the Hanalei’s, so I’ll give them a run. Today, a co-worker brought me a pair of Ray Ban Aviators that were left at her home some time ago and never claimed. I wore them home today and really liked them.

I always said I would never pay more than $20 for a pair of sunglasses, but these are already making me second guess that statement. Maybe I’m beginning to see the light (shade:rolleyes:)?

kikaida and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. chris975d

chris975d Empty Pockets

The Randolph collection is continuing to grow.

[​IMG]

twin63 and echo victor like this.
  4. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Here's my lego'd together Maui Jim's and pics of the hinge that goes too far closed on the frigate vs the nice lahaina spring hinge.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Perhaps a little common now, but i still wear Rayban Aviators, black frame, black lenses but ive always lusted after those Oakleys with the "flaming" lenses.

6. Moshe ben David

Wearing a pair of Maui Jim this week. Lighter weight and polarized. Bring on the sun!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

echo victor and twin63 like this.
  7. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Prescription Ray Ban Predators

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

This week a VERY 'low rent' clone of Wayfarers, by 'Foster Grants' (as in... who's behind those... :) ). Yeah they're cheap and hardly a high class set of sunglasses. But seem well made for the price including polarized lenses. What can go wrong? ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

As long as the lenses are true to spec then the sunglasses are good. I have multiple pairs of Shady Rays which have a generous warranty for the price.

10. Moshe ben David

I went into full 'Boss Hawg' mode as of Sunday; forgot to post. Ray Ban Aviators with mirrored polarized lenses... and yes I am wearing the straw cowboy hat with them! Not boots though... been sorta hot and humid around here. ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

garza and twin63 like this.
  11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

That was my mantra before, because I'd always lose them, break them, etc. I thought glasses were glasses until I received a pair of expensive ones. Then I realized the optical clarity and comfort is what you're paying for. I also realized that because my sunglasses were more expensive, I'd take care of them more and keep track of them. Now I can't go back to cheap sunglasses. My one exception are these Tony Stark sunglasses that I got off of Amazon.

Last edited by kikaida, Jul 8, 2020
    #1071 kikaida, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  12. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Nikon has a sunglasses division that sold fairly actively in the USA during the 80's & 90's... but now they're sold mostly in Japan. I have 3 different model Nikon sunglasses. My favorite is the Tetons. They came in several frame coatings & lens tints.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are tempered glass lenses (100% optically correct) so they're a bit heavy. The rose tint takes a little getting used to, but the clarity is amazing. I use those for driving. The silver framed model has a yellowish tint, which provides excellent clarity in low light.

My go-to cheaper sunglasses are pair of discontinued Nikon VTI Sunscopes. Polycarbonate lenses on titanium frames. Came in a great lightweight case that does a fantastic job of protecting them. Loop holes on the stem ends for cord attachment. Got a great deal on them, but due to rarity they'd be nearly impossible to replace.

13. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I just recently got a pair of Native Kodiak that I’m really liking.

I tried some Maui Jim’s that I really liked the looks of, but the tinted didn’t work for me. I get migraines that can be triggered by certain light conditions and the Maui Jim tint was not good for it.

14. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Finally went to the optometrist for a new perscription after ten years (at least) on the old one: the eye-strain headaches were getting to be too much to bear.

Got a regular pair of wireframe glasses with blue-blocker since I sit at a computer all day (and night), but this time I opted to get a pair of prescription sunglasses as well. I figure this way I can at least keep my normal glasses in good condition by not exposing them to harsh environments.

Went with a pair of Wiley-X Gamers. The temples disconnect and I can attach a goggle strap instead, which is a nice when I'm at the lake or running a chainsaw at the cabin. They're also ballistic rated, which is nice when the saw decides to throw a chip at my face. Wish I could have got the lenses in mirrored red though. Oh well, next time.

echo victor likes this.
  15. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I have a few pairs of Shady Rays sunglasses, and my favorites are defintely the pair of the tortoise Ventura with brown lenses. They fit my face just right, frames are light but sturdy, and the lens are clear and super sharp. They're worth every penny, but they frequently run sales which lower the cost, not to mention their warrenty that will send you a replacement pair if yours break or get lost for just the cost of shipping (less than $9). And for every pair they sell, they donate 10 meals to Feeding America.

I highly recommend Shady Rays.

garza likes this.
  16. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Ray Ban Outdoorsman II since 1970..