1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So what sunglasses do you wear?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by cj797, Apr 24, 2011.

1. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Ray-Ban Outdoorsman II Rx

2. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Just realized not too long ago that I might be able to swap arms from a set of Lahaina sunglasses onto the Frigates. Both pairs of rimless sunglasses used the same style of hardware and mounting on them appeared similar. Since I had both pairs, I disassembled them to check and it worked. So now my go to sunglasses are the best of both pairs. Although kind of a pricey setup...

But I like the larger lenses of the Frigate and the hinges/arms of the Lahaina. The Frigate arms will fold to the point they rub the inside of the lenses which will lead to damage of the coatings on the backside of the lenses (anti reflective, oleophobic, etc).

3. ChrisS

ChrisS Empty Pockets

I've had a pair of Smith Colson's for the last year. They are fantastic and have I have no complaints about them. Particularly because I got them at an REI garage sale for over half off. Best sunglasses I've ever used and they fit my big head ridiculously well!

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

My prescription sunglasses are Maui Jim, but I just got a pair of AO Aviators..

5. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I only wear Ray-Ban and I have a lot of them. My favorite one at this moment is The Marshal.

[​IMG]

#1045 Serena, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Prescription Oakley transitions.

7. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I have two pair of prescription shades. One are a pair of Costa Blackfins, and the other are Ray-Ban Predator 2's.

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Prescription Oakley Transitions and cheapo Foster Grant Ironman non-prescription. I also have some non-prescription transitions for the bicycle.

9. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Maui Jim Kahi MJ H736-25w Matte Brown Wood Grain polarized

They have amber lenses so are great for driving. If you've ever come across the SunBum sunscreen products, their wood grain pattern and color closely match that of the Maui's.

10. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I wear cheap clip-ons that fit over my regular glasses, that way I'm not too bothered if they get scratched, bent, or lost. I keep a pair in the house for when I need to work outside, a pair in the truck for driving, and a pair in my EDC bag for other occasions. They're reasonably durable, and polarized, so I cant really ask for more at less than $10 apiece.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

Randolph Aviator ... nothing else compares
    handmade with a longer than life time warranty

13. echo victor

Marsos, Can you give me some of the reasons why (besides the warranty) you like the Randolph's? I'll keep them in mind when I'm in the market again.

thanks!

14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I'll do my best....echo

first, they are hand made, and made to your size face, bridge of the nose and and to fit the ear.
    and if you need help from them to get everything right, they spend as much time with you till you
    are sure there specs are just correct, I think they spent over 30 minutes with me on the phone helping
    with everything

after all that is done they make your frames.. what it even better that all that is the optics and the quality
    of the lenses, amazing

before i found out about Randolphs I was wearing Costa Del Mar sunglasses and the are also awaesome

when i had both companies with the same tint and color lenses and i could do the A/B thing,
    the Randolphs are the clear winner

my brother is also a die hard Costa fan and said no way,, then he did the A/B test, he looked at me and said
    this is the first sunglasses I ever looked thru that is way better than my Costa's

the price difference between the two are not that different.

hope this helps

karlito likes this.
  15. echo victor

Marsos,

thanks very much! I currently have 2 pair of Maui Jims. I like them but am always looking for something superior when the time comes to replace. I had heard of Smith Optics, but never Randolph. I will definitely keep them in mind!

Last edited by echo victor, May 30, 2020
    #1055 echo victor, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  16. chris975d

chris975d Empty Pockets

I’ll echo what Marsos says here..., and I’m coming from a point of “experience” in sunglasses...my collection has been over 100 pair and north of $20,000 in total cost at times. I have/have had all major brands, regardless of price, and my collection is moving to being almost exclusively Randolph. Currently have 6 pair in rotation, with 2 more in route. Best quality and overall customer service I’ve had. It’s not often you get to deal directly with the owners of a company, which I’ve had the pleasure of doing for a bit now. But behind Randolph, in terms of quality of the optics, I’d put Kaenon, Smith Optics, and then Maui Jim as my top 4.

17. echo victor

Chris,
    do you think it's safe to buy them, sight-unseen? I mean from the standpoint of fit. Not really any dealers anywhere near me (NJ). I avoid going into Manhattan if at all possible. It's a pain in the a**, pure and simple.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. chris975d

chris975d Empty Pockets

I think so, as long as you have a current pair of a similar style, any brand, that you know the measurements of (lens width, bridge width, and temple length) and can match up closely with an offering from Randolph. One beauty of Randolph is that they usually offer multiple sizes in their models, especially the staples/most popular models like the Aviator and the Concorde.

echo victor likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Here in Northern Virginia it seems we've bypassed spring and are into early summer... this week I've broken out the mirrored Ray Ban aviators. Go rather well with my white straw Stetson... Boss Hawg would be so proud of me, as would the Gator (aka Burt Reynolds).

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

garza likes this.
  20. Glock19er

Glock19er Loaded Pockets

Maui Jim

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk