1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SO tech GO bag review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Henriq, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

I must be spoiled by Maxpedition's overbuild solid feel and quality.

I just got the SO TECH Go Bag and I just do not feel that same satisfaction as I did when I got my Pygmy Falcon II. The PF against the Go Bag feels like a Mercedes compared to a Honda.

First of all, the metal tabs for the zippers, all jingly and flimsy, chiming away as a glockenspiel. I cut them away first thing and just used the paracord pull tabs.

Second, the shoulder strap which does not look as it can not take any serious stress at the topmost fastening point against the bag it self. It relies solely on some stitching under a taped hem instead of being a more integrated part of the top of the bag. It would really benefit from a seatbelt-like strap that went all the way through the padded part of the strap, ending with more than one attachment point.
    It needs some improvement. Anyway, Perhaps I am being picky. I just expected some more. It is after all US-made which in most cases ensure a proud solid workmanship.

EDIT: I have scrutinised it more thoroughly. Seams and such are OK. Doublestitching at critical points. It is a good bag, a bit roughly put together though. It is gives a better impression without the metal zipper tabs. But, still it lacks Maxpedition's finess and overbuildness :)

2. JusticeKN

JusticeKN Loaded Pockets

Anybody else out there willing to chime in on this? I really like the look and structure of this bag, but I'm concerned about this review!

I've only seen the (video) and pictures on the internet. There don't appear to be any dealers in my area where I could actually hold one in my hands.

3. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

When I here Sotech and not made well in the same sentence, then something doesn't add up. Sotech makes some of the best hard use gear in the industry. Their gear is for real deal operators in the field. I have never read one bad review of the material or workmanship. Maxpedition is good, but I have seen it fail, don't be fooled by stiff coated cordura. It's not necessarily tougher. I would like to see some pics of the poor quality. This one is a head scratcher for me.

4. rhysman1

rhysman1 Empty Pockets

I can't fault my SO Tech Mission Go Bag

Its loaded to the top with m4 mags, med supplies, food, water, and tools, it gets used daily in and out of my truck.

Initially I thought the cordura material was a little thinner than im used too, but its taken some serious abuse, at the ranges and on missions with zero damage to the material plus it hasn't faded at all.

O0 to the SO Tech guys for a top quality product

5. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

There were a couple really accurate knock-off coming out of China...just saying.

I can hook you up with a name at SO Tech if you have any problems.

At this point I sold my first gen. Go Bag in favor of waiting for an extended version.

I like the larger 2 pocket configuration as I tended to look for stuff to put in the 3 little pockets instead of filling them with items I use alot.

Once they are caught up, I'm supposedly getting a longer shoulder strap so it rides well on my 6.5" frame.

Pete

6. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

yup, i'm kinda curious too. hope you can post pics.

7. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

After some more evaluation I can put my finger on what is most bothersome with this bag. One of the dual zippers on the main compartment is VERY stiff, It takes quite some force to get it open as it kind of snags. This is counter productive to the point of the dual zippers that was connected via a strip of nylon webbing, with the purpose to make it possible to quickly access the main compartment.

Second, the velcro flap on top of the main compartment is totally misaligned. It just wont match with the velcro patch on the opposite side, making it look very awkward when closed. This also affect the zippers as it keeps the good zipper open due to the misaligned top flap. If this is how it is supposed to look then there really is nothing to do about it. I am rather sure that it is an original bag since I got it from SKD tac.

My previous comparison reference to the Go bag being the equivalent of a Honda could be revised. Rather, Think of the Go Bag as a Buick and the Maxpud as a Mercedes. The Go bag is, as I later added to the review, good enough. It will do its intended duty. A little more crude and rough rather than made with finesse. I will let the pictures talk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

Ok. Now I am a little annoyed. The zipper that until now was just a bit stiff has now stuck in the open position and it will not budge.

9. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Contact info sent.

Did you try lubing the zipper with goat cheese...I kid...I kid. :slap:

Pete

10. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

Thanks man.

The goat cheese plan was tempting but I went ahead and sent the suggested representative at SO Tech a mail. I really want a working bag. Now let's wait and see what might come up.

11. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

if you can get some or have some on hand try some bees wax,might help a little bit

12. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

Send it back they will make it right.

13. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

I will be interested to hear the out come of this one ...

14. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

Interesting indeed it would be to know the outcome on this.
    I have sent a second e-mail the 28th of June to the address so kindly provided by Balldboy. Still no reply, perhaps they are extremely busy or they have all gone on vacation. (Spam filter checked, nothing there)

15. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Maybe try giving them a call. I hear they are busy company.

Interestingly they are located locally to me (Carson CA)

16. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Still no Joy? :brickwall:
    Try Jim Cragg in sales; sales@specopstech.com
    Might be better than the tech side guy I offered last time.

LMK,
    Pete

17. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

Hi again. I filled in a web form with my contact info and a description of my current situation. Alas, still no word from SO Tech. I will try with the sales mail address as well. Thanks, will let you know.

18. Schützen

Schützen Loaded Pockets

The velcro flap is supposed to be tucked under the zipper. Before you zip it up, put the velcro pieces together properly. THEN zip it up and when you get to the end, push the velcro-ed portion down (if you need to) so you can zip till the end. Try this and report back :luck:

19. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

I hear you, man. But believe me when I say that I have tried it all with this one. The velcro pieces are just not made to be properly aligned. Perhaps there was some miss when they put together this bag. There are basically two options here, zip the zipper or close the velcro. The operation you describe could work if the velcro was positioned lower/higher.

20. Schützen

Schützen Loaded Pockets

Oh ok. I was basing it off of my Maratac SAT-COM bag, which is similar, and that's how I fasten it.