1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So, Smart Watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Aonghus, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The smart watch is is interesting but I'm holding out for the mandatory government-implanted tracking device.

Monocrom and SAKplumber like this.
  2. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Over my cold, dead, ripped apart and composted body...

3. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

if i wore vests and carried it in the vest pocket, I would.

4. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

It's a nice concept. For now it seems to be little more than a controller for a smartphone or other device. Obviously the <2inch screen has it's limits but until it can do more on it's own, I'll pass. I haven't even felt the need for a smartphone yet.

MatBlack likes this.
  5. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

If you spent a couple of hundred on a watch and expected it to last for a few decades you would be roundly disappointed, unless you applied a very liberal definition of "last."

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I love tech as much as the next guy, and i like the stuff my Iphone can do - internet, camera, video, games, movies, carry all my manuals etc.

but i only want my watch to do a few things
    1. tell the time
    2. tell the date
    3. be reliable and accurate
    4. be easy to read
    5. not need maintaining, other than a rinse after being in salt water or when the band smells funky, and a battery change/service every few years

i dont like watches with a million little dials, or little screens and lots of different functions.
    theres a reason i wear a Dive watch - its simple, reliable, accurate (+5 seconds a month !), and easy to read at a glance, my old Traser was the same

EDIT - i do like the Garmin Fenix/Tactix watches - but would put it on my other wrist, in conjinction with my normal watch

Last edited by echo63, Dec 11, 2013
  7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You may be right. But I have several $30 watches that lasted 10 years or more. I would expect that adding a zero to the price would improve that time dramatically. If and when the time comes I'll make sure I do my research

8. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

That heavily depends on the materials and the environment you use the watch in. I do not expect a watch for 10 bucks last very long in a combat scenario. On the other hand it is possible that a metal watch with a quartz movement for 50 bucks in an urban environment may outlive our grandchildren. As always: choose the right tool for the job.

9. Alex born

Alex born Empty Pockets

Samsung's watch is nice, but if you perfer ios based watch, better buy iwatch.

10. machine

machine Loaded Pockets

Concept only, but its kinda cool. Google Yanko Design Cobalt. [​IMG]

11. machine

machine Loaded Pockets

I have the Galaxy Gear, have for a few days. I like it, but I probably wouldnt have got it if my boss hadn't bought it for me :p. The battery lasts 2-3 days so far, and the complaint of having to charge it really isnt a complaint. The little dock is on my nightstand, just where the watch would go anyway, so it only takes a second to snap it in. Traveling might be a hassle for some, but I always have a portable power pack in my bag so meh... The display is great, and its nice having a notification that i got an email or message, or have an alert for a calendar event. I can also get around the stupid no cell while driving laws in a couple towns here, as the volume on it is great and the mic pics up very well. the camera option is fun, but it has a shutter sound that you can't get rid of (yet). I am a professed tech junky, and I prefer Android over Apple anyday. I cant wait to see what people cook up for this thing. I'll come back after I have had it for a few weeks.

bzimmerly likes this.
  12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Hipsters would go insane over that one. LOL !

bzimmerly and machine like this.
  13. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

Here's an update to continue this > So, Smart Watches? Yes, there was an update for IOS7 and after that all works really perfect with my iphone5 :D.

Time has changed and now I have a Samsung Note3 with Android (the dark side of the force :ninja:;)). Works perfect too and there are a bunch more apps for my pebble.
    So if you need a "gadget" that works on both platforms (Android & IOS) I would highly recommend the "Pebble smartwatch" :cool:.

bzimmerly likes this.