1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So, Smart Watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Aonghus, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MigratoryCoconut

MigratoryCoconut Empty Pockets

Personally I have zero interest in smart watches, but I prefer a more classic look, and I have no problem just pulling my phone out of my pocket. However, do think they have a place in the world, and for the right people are the perfect solution. I have a friend who rides a motorcycle as his primary means of transportation, so for him his pebble has been a godsend, as we can see when messages or emails come in if they're anything important at a glance.

2. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

So, just to recap, riding motorcycle around, reading e-mail headers and text messages. Good times. Where does your friend ride, so the rest of us can be somewhere else?

Ross Thompson likes this.
  3. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

I like the idea of smart watches but for me the implementation is wrong.

Like others I prefer analogue over digital, quicker to read at a glance and with tritium (Traser, Marathon etc) no pesky light that stays on for longer than I need it too.

I would really like an analogue watch with a sub dial that had two or three hands. Email yes/no, SMS yes/no and missed calls yes/no. I don’t need how many or even a brief synopsis. Have I missed a call, SMS/email? Yes? Great I'll get to it when I have the time. After all my phone was on silent for a reason.

Oh and I don’t want to have to remember to put my watch on charge every night, I know the pebble lasts for a week but apparently the Samsung requires nightly charging. Any current or former service people here will see the downside in that, so will those who’ve been out the night before and wondered how they got home!

As I said, but it needs development.

Shur likes this.
  4. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I'd have to research this but there are ways to be iOS and android. I'm not sure about the watch but I use iPhone Android phone and tablet and make it work.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

An excellent point. Though considering the popularity of the Fallout series, if they had made a watch that looks like a Pip-boy 3000 instead, that would sell far better than "Here's our high-tech. watch but you still have to carry a Smartphone around with you anyway."

6. countrystyle4life

countrystyle4life Loaded Pockets

As for me I like things simple and mechanical, that being said if they really get somewhere in a few years and really advance their tech I might consider one.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

To be honest, I've used digital timepieces in the past. Can't stand the whole, "Press here, then press here, hold down here, press here again, then press here twice, all in under 2 seconds to set the hour. Then ..."

How about I unscrew the lone crown, turn it a few times to line up the hands, then screw it back in. How about that? Rather than feel like I'm trying to disarm a nuclear warhead with zero success ... Only to discover that the instruction manual was written by a moron who got button "B" confused with button "D." (No wonder I can't set the right time.)

sl66ICEcuba likes this.
  8. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Pics of the pebble watch

9. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I will be getting both the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear when they have been released here in Australia, with work I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Galaxy Gear at a training event, it is extremely comfortable and only just a bit heaver than my G-Shock when held but when it is on it is great so light, it is not that much bigger than my G-Shock, didn't take up my entire forearm.

Yes currently it will only pair with the Note 3, as this is the only device currently with Android 4.3 (Samsung), so when the GS4 and most likely the Note 2 get their updates you will be able to use it then.

Most people I spoken to will get the Gear as they want the Note 3 and those that already have the GS4 will wait. Think about being able to answer your call if your device is in the your EDC bag (Speaker phone) or car if your are working with in 10m of it, receive notifications with out taking out your device, replying to an SMS with S-Voice. How about taking a photo of an object or situation and knowing it will be saved on your device, (yes it is only 1.9MP but the photo's I took with it were very good for what it is) this is the meaning of a Companion accessory to your current phone.

I personally think that the Smart Watch technology will go far, and in time will be part of everyday use and for some a need. Well that's my 2 cents 5 Cents (don't use 2 cents here in OZ) for the evening.

10. Jascha

Jascha Empty Pockets

I like my grey Pebble. But not sure it is worth the $150 cost of entry. A friend is head of User Experience there and am told they will be revamping the whole thing soon. So time will tell. It is nice to read txt or send calls to voice mail from it. Bluetooth does drain my phone fast is trade-off.

11. Ronin101

Ronin101 Loaded Pockets

I ordered a kreyos meteor this week. I should get it in November. Seems pretty cool and has a 6 axis accelleromieter and gyroscope. When it is away from the phone it tracks physical activity and dowloads to the phone when it gets close enough. I am going to do a review after I have had it for a week.

microbe, Soosh and Shur like this.
  12. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Ditto...These are merely extension of the phone and the only convenience is not having to reach for the phone.

13. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

14. mauseum

mauseum Loaded Pockets

I think smart watches are great, makes it easier to spot people I should avoid.

Monocrom likes this.
  15. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

Have my pebble now around three weeks. These are my thoughts:

What should I say ??? Have it now about 4 days and to be honest I'm a little bit disappointed.
    My thought's was, it would be cool not ever look on my phone and put it out of the jacket or bag if there's a message, e-mail or other sort of notification. If the bluetooth-connection is stable, everything is OK, but don't loose it :confused:. Imho it's horrible to get it back to full functionality.
    There's a solution called the "finger dance" (if you are interested, please google this), but for me that's a bit too much to do. Especially you don't notice if you lost your bluetooth-connection :confused:.

I have an iphone5 running IOS7 and hope there would be an software-update from pebble to fix this "problem".

Conclusion: If you take care of your bluetoothconnection everything is OK and works really great, but don't loose it.

Edit: When there is time will try it out with an android-based smartphone.

Orginally posted here: How about an EDC picture thread? Vol. 12

16. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

For me it heavily depends on the functions. As long it has no additional uses over my mobile phone or my tablet which I edc both, I do not see the point in spending money and very much so. I am more of the UNIX type of guy anyway: Do one thing and do it good. There are few exceptions to this. A good, reliable, automatic watch, probably with a bezel is not only a time measuring instrument, but a piece of art.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

17. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Nothing about them appeal to me. Nothing.:nah_disagree:

The Pebble appears to be the best one out there, and that needs charging every 5 - 7 days. That's not a watch, that's a mission! Also, I don't want alerting to all the messages I'm trying to ignore on my 'phone. I don't think they look too bad, just a bit 'pop' for my taste. I imagine they're perfect for 16 year old Dr Who fans. ;)

Last edited by Sarky, Oct 27, 2013
  18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

sort of. Smartphone used as primary timepiece + pocket = smart pocketwatch :p

machine, netcat and Shur like this.
  19. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Smart watches interest me, and I've ben thinking about spending a little more on my next watch purchase (I usually just go with a $20 cheapie lol). The biggest thing that bothers me is longevity. If I spend a couple of hundred on a watch I would expect it to last for a few decades. I don't think that will be the case with these. Even if the watch did continue to function that long the softwear support required to keep it funcioning properly will probably only last a year or two until another model comes out.

20. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Do you have a chain on it? :)

JustinJ likes this.