1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So, Smart Watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Aonghus, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

Who's thinking about getting one? The Samsung watch looks cool, but it's paired with Android and I'm an Apple phone /tablet user right now, but rumors of the iWatch haven't seen reality yet. Any other suggestions or watches coming down the road? Pebble? What features are you looking for in a smart watch? What things do you want them to do.

2. CuChulainn

CuChulainn Loaded Pockets

Love my Pebble. It sticks by the KISS principle and does everything that it sets out to do well.

r-ice, Diecastfreak and bzimmerly like this.
  3. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I still think they are a few years off for me personally. If I were to buy one right now, I'd go with the pebble. The interface on the Samsung watch looks clunky and I don't want to have to charge it every 24 hours. Not to mention, the faces on said watches are quite large at the moment, which would look goofy on my girly wrists. I think they are trying to make it do too many things, really. I don't need to read email, or check facebook, or snap pictures with it, or send a tweet, or get turn by turn directions. It'd be nice if it did standard watch duties, fitness tracking type stuff, let me see who sent a text, and email, or who is calling, and maybe incorporate a speaker phone/mic so I can answer a call without taking my phone out in a pinch.

Blak Smyth, kertap75 and emcdannell like this.
  4. alkaiser

alkaiser Loaded Pockets

i'll definitely see where they go...i still don't even have a smart phone, so a smart watch will probably take even longer to convince me

5. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I have an orange pebble on preorder. None of the rest out or coming soon are supposed to play too well with the iPhone so I'll stick with that for now

CuChulainn likes this.
  6. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I read a few reviews on them. Not for me thanks. My mobile in intrusive enough as it is.

O.J. likes this.
  7. mtngoat

mtngoat Loaded Pockets

Citizen makes on that syncs with Iphones. I saw it when dropping of something for the misses at the jeweler

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

8. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

I have a black pebble on preorder. Tried a friends out and now I can't wait to get mine :rolleyes:. Hope it will go well with my iphone, only tested it with an Android phone.

sl66ICEcuba and CuChulainn like this.
  9. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

One very bad thing that I had read about the Samsung watch is that it will only pair with a Galaxy Note 3 phablet. :eek: So much so that you have to have the GN3 to even change the basic look of the watch. To me, that is a total deal-breaker.

10. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

I'm reading up on the Pebble. I like simpler vs. more complex for a smart watch and it seems to fit the bill; also like the longer battery life of the eInk screen. I'd like to see

1. Watch functions equal to that of say a Timex Ironman or similar (timer, stopwatch, calendar, nightlight).
    2. Hiking Stuff: Electronic Compass, Altimeter, Thermometer, etc.
    3. Bluetooth for status updates on Twitter, Text, FB
    4. Some music capability...either to holds its own music ~or~ to control the phone's music from my wrist.

I'm not interested in something more complex with apps (at least not many), just something that works as a watch and a remote for my phone...which I'm always carrying anyways.

CuChulainn likes this.
  11. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Just got word my pebble preorder number came up... But I had to cancel my debit card cause it got stolen :( now I have to wait longer

12. Petraeus

Petraeus Loaded Pockets

maybe in 10 years when smart watches are more than a gimmick

kertap75 likes this.
  13. Steffen

Steffen Loaded Pockets

oh boy! smart watches.
    and here i am considering getting a analog watch, seeing as i always forget how to adjust the time on my casio.

14. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

I love my pebble. Like others have said...KISS. Batt life is great, band sucks but does the job (standard 22mm though), still feels somewhat beta but the apps are getting much better (SDK was released not long ago), and you can actually see in the daylight.

Works great iphone and android. Android you'll obviously get more features but it's still great with iOS. I've tried most of the others and the pebble is what's on my wrist right now. They're all going to get better/more polished but right now Pebble is the only one moving in the right direction IMO

Sony Smartwatch is a close 2nd but it's android only, the display is a little rough to see in FL sunshine, and batt life isnt that great because it's not epaper

Last edited by Rabidfox, Sep 27, 2013
  15. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

My life is ruled by Google Calendar. If I could get a simple LCD dot matrix screen on a watch that synced to that and displayed nothing but the current time, where I need to be next, and a countdown to when I need to be there, I'll buy it. I think we're really just an app away from that on the current crop of smartwatches. I wish I could write the app I need myself, but I'm a practitioner of the wrong kind of engineering.

Wasn't there a Timex back in the 90s kind of like what I want?

Shur likes this.
  16. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Yes, the Datalink. --> forums.watchuseek.com/f80/nasa-timex-datalink-watches-pic-intensive-159191.html

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Another example of Stop-Gap technology being introduced to make money off of those constantly upgrading to the latest and so-called greatest.

When they make a Smartwatch that doesn't require still carrying around a phone with you ... Then I'll consider it.

kertap75 likes this.
  18. Analog.Upload

Analog.Upload Loaded Pockets

I would guess with the current rate of tech evolution it will be closer to 3.

kertap75 likes this.
  19. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I like my pebble. It does what it's supposed to.

:)

r-ice likes this.
  20. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I think there's a long way to go in both battery technology and chip efficiency before we get there.
    Unless you're good with wearing something that takes up the better part of your forearm.