1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So I've had a cardiac arrest at age 37.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Hertz33, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Glad you are OK, that is pretty scary at such a young age.

vegassprky likes this.
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Did you recently have dental work? There is some correlation between the two. I forgot exactly why, but it happens to someone in my family, at about the same age. Glad you are feeling better!

vegassprky likes this.
  3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I'm glad to hear you are OK. Take care!

vegassprky likes this.
  4. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

wow, thats brutal at your age, glad you are ok!

vegassprky likes this.
  5. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

Glad you're OK. Just out of curiosity, will this affect your EDC? My dad had a heart attack (he was 52 at the time) and now carries nitro pills everywhere he goes. Not sure if there's anything else that could be life-saving should it happen again.

vegassprky likes this.
  6. mace85

mace85 Loaded Pockets

Any chance of EDC'ing an implanted defibrillator in the near future. Smoking or not, sudden cardiac arrest at that age is extremely rare.

I am glad you didn't wallow in denial and called 911 you did. Hopefully this incident, scary as it is, this may just have been the event needed to discover a chronic potentially deadly condition.

7. mace85

mace85 Loaded Pockets

Any chance of EDC'ing an implanted defibrillator in the near future. Smoking or not, sudden cardiac arrest at that age is extremely rare.

I am glad you didn't wallow in denial and called 911 you did. Hopefully this incident, scary as it is, this may just have been the event needed to discover a chronic potentially deadly condition.

8. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Whoah sorry to hear that. Glad all is ok.

9. Hendy

Hendy Loaded Pockets

I had a minor blockage at age 27 as well which was last december to be exact. went to place a stent or ring on the blockage, and had to consume pills now, doctor consider as minor attack, the irony was it happen during exercise, and was already losing weight, with great blood test result.
    genes and family history plays a lot of part in this thing, if you gonna have it, you gonna have it, just my thought

10. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Good to hear that you are fine again! Take care.

11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Glad you survived it. I was 39 when I had a bad angina attack and they thought I was going to die. Had to be on a constant dose of nitro for 6 years until I lost weight and got my blood pressure under control. Trying to make good on my second chance.

Sent by owl post.

Tegan's Dad, vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Heart problems seem to come without warning, even for fit people. That's scary. Were you conscious throughout? Did you feel anything?

13. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Glad you are okay.

14. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Me too. I was planting a tree in my Mom's yard. Finished the job lying down. I was really fit at the time; my cousin had a gym downtown which I visited religiously (it was free!). The next one happened in '96 after I guess what was an over exciting whitewater raft trip in Idaho. (No skydiving for me!) Finished vacay and had a 2x bypass when I got home. So far so good!

Hendy, Doraemon and Brtsmpsn like this.
  15. Stinger

Stinger Banned

The popular American diet is CRAP.

With a heart problem at a (relatively) early age I'd suggest radically changing your diet; and eating only wholesome natural (unprocessed) foods.

'White ain't right!'

Sugar, Salt, Enriched (processed) flour, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonated beverages, commercially deep-fried foods, nitrates; and other, cumulatively toxic, food preservative, 'surprise packages' have all got 'a go.

Learn to love free-range chicken and turkey, grass-fed meat, and some - but not all - wild caught fish. Don't eat anything that says, 'farm raised' on the label. (Basically I'm telling you to eat out as little as possible, and do everything you can to avoid eating the progressively toxic and cumulatively life-shortening popular American diet.)

BE AWARE that if one particular food isn't especially harmful then the CUMULATIVE SYNERGY between several mildly toxic foods that are, nevertheless, regularly ingested might be!

NOTE: If you can afford the added expense then, 'Omega XL' or another very high quality fish oil is well worth the money, and certainly beats swallowing a potentially harmful pharmaceutical like, say, somebody's statin drug.

ADDED: I'll tell ya a little story. After suffering a serious heart attack I had a hospital doctor come into my room to announce that he had prepared my new daily medication schedule! (Hooray!) One of the daily medications on his list was an anti-cholesterol drug. He, then, handed me a small paper cup of pills which he wanted me to swallow.

When I refused to take the cholesterol medication, the hospital's man threw a hissy fit and did a little dance on the floor. He insisted; I insisted; and he ended up shaking his head and saying, 'Alright, Mr. Stinger, it's your life; and if you want to shorten it that's your business!'

What that well-intended doctor didn't realize (cause I didn't tell him) is that I'd recently finished reading the Swedish medical studies on anti-cholesterol drugs, and knew better than to believe much of what the American pharmaceutical community has to say.

Was I scared? Yes. Was I, also, willing to rule out the dictates of the excellent mind God gave me? No. I didn't start taking statin drugs that day; and 6 years later my cholesterol levels are actually LOWER THAN most doctors! My cardiologist just tested me; and he couldn't hide his amazement over my, 'good' and, 'bad' cholesterol levels! Why? Because I do what almost no medical doctor ever tells his patients to do: I EAT A VERY CAREFULLY SELECTED DAILY DIET.

Fact is, I've beaten the odds. I really should be dead by now. Six years is a long time for someone whose heart, 'crashed' the way that mine did; but thanks be to God, my, 'cook from scratch' wife, and a little wit, wisdom, and self-discipline here I am - posting on the internet!

My cardiologist, whom I'm going to visit later on today, looked at my last EKG, smacked the page with his right hand, and remarked, 'David, you're a very lucky man!' 'This is an unusual day for me; I don't often see turn-around results like this!'

OK, so it wasn't my time. (I've always been remarkably difficult to kill.) Still, much of my current good health is attributable to the excellent daily diet that I eat. Who knows? I just might continue living for much longer than I might actually care to do. ;)

Last edited by Stinger, Oct 21, 2014
    ran23 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  16. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Glad that you survived (I've lost friends who didn't), and even more glad that you are taking better care of yourself. Heckuva way to learn, but not everybody does.

17. akmedic77

akmedic77 Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear that all went as well as it did!

Mirroring what others have said, I'm thankful you had someone call when you did! You probably raised awareness where you work as well.

I lived in an all volunteer response area, and most denied the issue for too long before calling for help.

18. Hendy

Hendy Loaded Pockets

problem with heart disease is that no body can ever tell when it will happen, it really is just like god's will, if it gotta happen it will happen. stay healthy everyone.