1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So......I wanted a new 2015 TAD Fast Pack....

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CANNIBALdinner., Oct 30, 2015.

1. GutWrench

GutWrench Loaded Pockets

The clamshell is definitely a worthy upgrade!! If they would have kept the belt I would have jumped on one for sure.

2. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I'm just not sure the point behind making the point.

You're question was, "why, out of honest curiosity, the bag cost that much." Why you should pay more.

The answer, as you see it, is that you shouldn't, it is "no more than preference, appearances, and status." You don't share those preferences, so you shouldn't pay more.

I'm good with all of that.

Having established the bag isn't worth it to you, your quest to convince others it shouldn't be worth it to them is no more than "trying to get insulting" because you disagree. Exactly the foul that you accused others of.

You've asked your question. Gotten your answer. Why are you still here?

YKK zippers are the most common brand of zippers in the world. They come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and grades. They can break just like any other zipper can. (I normally accidentally pull out or snap the little tabs on smaller zippers, myself.)

Yes, TAD is a global company. They are, however, a great deal more transparent in what comes from where is cut and assembled where than any number of other companies I deal with -- they list it clearly on the "Spec" tab of each product. That includes the merino products that come from China pipey.

The sooner we've gotten past this nonsense and back to actually discussing the topic the better. Otherwise, the mods can't shut this thread down soon enough.

Lou_G, moostapha, Isla TX and 2 others like this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

An item is worth what someone will pay for it. If an item (or service) is priced at $X and people buy it, that's what it's worth ... that's (a part) of the reason it costs what it does.

One of the businesses that I own is generally at the higher end of the price range relative to our competition. Occasionally, someone complains about our prices. That's fine. It's there prerogative. The great thing is, we have more business than we can handle. TAD is in much the same boat.

As someone who has seen and used packs from virtually every common maker in the U.S. I could go into some of the details that contribute to the value/price of TAD items. It doesn't seem that Pepsi Jedi wants to hear about those things. To many people, those details don't mean enough to pay another $20, $50, $100 ... for an item. To others, those details are critical and well worth the additional cost.

Lou_G, moostapha and vzipper like this.
  4. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

SMAJ likes this.
  5. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

Sorry fellas. Didn't mean to start a war here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrel S. Jarvis, moostapha and SMAJ like this.
  6. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Mentioned earlier, TAD brings out the best in people!

moostapha and SMAJ like this.
  7. vzipper

vzipper Loaded Pockets

Yes, Invicta and YKK are public companies. I'm talking about TAD, MR, Kifaru, Tom Bihn, GoRuck, 5.11, Maxpedition, etc. These are not public companies, and therefore, we don't know the exact source of materials they are using, their manufacturing standards, costs of production, etc. These are indeed trade secrets, however, some of them are more forthcoming than others and they do give some insight into these things on their websites. That's the point I'm trying to make. You're making wild claims of 250% mark up, and the "same materials" being used, but you have absolutely no idea if that's true, as you have said you don't work for any of them. So it's just conjecture. We can only offer our experience of actually buying and using the products, and from what I've gathered, you've never actually purchased a TAD product. So how could you know?

Last edited by vzipper, Nov 12, 2015
    Lou_G likes this.
  8. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

I hope we don't have another "zipper-gate" on our hands....anyone remember that thread???

Bedlam likes this.
  9. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Kifaru products are all berry compliant, meaning all manufacturing and sourcing are domestic.

Lou_G likes this.
  10. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

Even Camelbak makes Berry compliant HAWGs and MULEs. Check out the pricing on their webpage for the Mil-Tac HAWG.

11. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I honestly do. What are the details that you've seen/witnessed that contribute to the value/price?

You might be right. It might not be worth 150% more to -me-, but I honestly would like to know, so I can make that choice. I've found a number of items on these forums that I didn't know about before, that I now use. This may (or may not) end up that way, if someone can articulate those details.

12. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

No... I can look at a 5.11 bag at a certain size with features, and see that it costs $90-$100.
    The Tad pack of about the same size costs $250.
    That's 150% more, i.e. 250% of the cost of the first. That's not conjecture. That's.... pretty simple math.
    I do know what they're made of... as the websites tell us what they're made of. It's not a secret. I pull the tags off my 5.11 gear with the Cordura information on them when ever I buy them. TAD has the same stuff listed on their website for all to see.

I'm not using conjecture at all. I'm using the information presented by the companies in question. I'm not making a wild claim. I can look at 1 bag, at $100 and another bag of the same general size at $250 and see that the second bag costs 150% more. How is that conjecture? Wild or other wise?

If both companies list the same materials on their page that go into the bags, then how is it a wild claim? Do you think one or both are lieing? I know it's true in that they both say that's what they use and it's listed on their sites.

You seem to think I'm just plucking this stuff out of the ether. I'm not. It's what the two respective companies list off. How is --any-- of that a 'wild claim' or 'conjecture'? I'm not sure those words mean, what you think that they mean.

13. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Yah. My grandma gets combative too. I just think it's bc she can't hear very well. Ah well. It happens.

Lou_G and moostapha like this.
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just read though this whole thread. Wow! What a bag debate! I can totally imagine this debate in real life where a bunch of guys in a circle agreeing to disagree while I go to the kitchen, grab a beer, and watch football in the living room

SMAJ, Lou_G and moostapha like this.
  15. GutWrench

GutWrench Loaded Pockets

This is going to be TLDR but... :D

I'm not trying to carry on the debate but a bag is not a bag. We all know that. Me? I don't care where the materials are made or where the end product is assembled. I care about the quality of the build/durability, layout/features and if it fits my needs/wants. Price is always a strong factor too but in the end it comes down to what I want. It doesn't mean I'm an idiot for buying it, nor does it mean you're a cheap :censored: for not buying it.

I will agree. Some of TAD gears stuff is over priced for what it is. Look at the Stealth Hoodie LT for example. It has been the center of web forum controversy for years. $475.00 for a rain coat! Ridiculous!! In no way would I ever pay that. Not just because the price is so high but because it's not practical for my lifestyle. I don't stand out in the pouring rain unless I am at work and then, they provide a rain jacket for me. But guess what? I liked the look of the Stealth Hoodie so I bought one of the copies made in China for $59 off amazon. It is the exact jacket TAD hired them to make a while back. Same machines, same materials and the same slave labor I suppose. Good jacket at a reasonable price that I use when needed or wanted and it works.

Myrddraal and SMAJ like this.
  16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

What bag would you like me to compare it to? I'm not going to play the general comparison game.

150% is "only" $150 in this case - assuming that you pay full price. I'm a veteran so I get the TAD veteran discount. Numerous other companies don't offer a veteran discount. If a pack lasts for 30 years, a $150 difference is only $5 a year. Is that a big deal? Perhaps to some ....

Last edited by Mudinyeri, Nov 13, 2015
  17. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Black is available again and now Coyote Brown. Foliage Green shouldn't be too far away. Ahem...for those who are interested anyway, ahem.

Isla TX and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  18. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

I just wanna say, I love you guys.

19. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

Wait, TAD Gear has a veterans discount? Where the Bleep have I been!!

Mudinyeri likes this.
  20. Mabellucy

Mabellucy Loaded Pockets

I am searching forums for more info...I ordered rush12 after trying several other packs. I t is wider than I wanted but am running out of options. It killed my shoulders after 20 minutes,yet my daughter put it on a was taken with how comfortable it was. She wore it for almost an hour. No complaints on quality.
    Now I am seriously looking at TAD litespeed. My only concern was if it will be too long at 20". Now I wonder what issues you had with shoulder straps.
    It is sooooo hard to find the right pack when you cannot try them in person, so I appreciate any input.

I am also considering the direct action dust but not sure about its shape. I believe the direct action egg will be too large and is shaped odd...

Price was an issue until I have had so many failures. Now, not quite so much...I also preferred the lighter denier packs but not a deal breaker.
    Thanks for the time everyone puts into these forums. They are very helpful.