1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So I think I need more bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by brokedave, Jul 12, 2015.

1. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

so I have a moab 10 for my edc bag. Which is fine till I go out with my kids to aunties or where ever. Then the weight increases to the point where a sling bag isn't the best. Then I have a rush 24 in my car as a get home or emergency bag.

So I'm thinking a kelty red Redwing 50 for the car and a smaller kelty for family time edc. Why you ask do I need another in my car. well....... I don't know exactly why but I assure you I do. Also trying to get away from the tactical look

Actually I want (I think) a Redwing 50 but probably could go with a smaller version. Any thoughts or suggestions for a new alternative edc family bag.

Maybe there is just something wrong with me lol

2. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Join the club... :D:giggle:

3. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Yeah......we ALL think that way. :)

Mike

4. jogo21

jogo21 Loaded Pockets

I'm in similar situation as you and leaning towards redwing. Will let you know how it works out if I do go that route.

5. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

The Redwing 50 is a great pack, but I think it may be too big for a vehicle bag. Even with the waist belt removed, and packed very light and tight, it still has a pretty good sized footprint. For a family-sized EDC bag, it could probably fit the bill. I use mine exclusively for travel now and can get a week's worth of clothing and travel items in it, or about a 3-day trip with me and the wife's stuff.

6. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I'm in some what the same situation. I'd picked up a Moab 6, but it didn't hang right and was uncomfortable. Which means I wouldn't use it. I love 5.11 gear and the quality, it wasn't a problem with the bag, it was just that I'm a big guy and it wasn't hanging or fitting right. I ended up taking it back. (Discussed in a bit more detail here: http://edcforums.com/threads/rush-moab-6-and-ipad-air-2.129851/ )

Researching a number of bags, 5.11, Voodoo, Maxpedition, etc, and seeing that the Moab 10 had the same problem for guys built like me (and other sling packs as well) I upgraded to a 5.11 All Hazards Nitro. It's a bit bigger than the Moab 10, but not a full out Rush 12. It's 5.11 which is good gear, and comes in the Double Tap color which I very much like. I plan on using it as my EDC. Should be in tomorrow.

As for having a problem about Bags... *looks to all of his* Yeah... that's not just you. I think I might have more bags than my wife has purses.

brokedave likes this.
  7. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

I was looking at the nitro. That looks great but I need to see it in person. I had a rush 72 in my amazon wish list for a while. I finally got to play with one the other day. Took it right out of the wish list. That bag as awesome as it is just didn't fit right with the yoke it has. I'm 6'4" and for me the moab fits fine. But it does seem like the padding on the strap could be about 6 inches longer

8. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

Then there is a second part to my mental issue. Let's say I get a bigger hanging with the family bag. Do I keep switching my gear between bags. It would be fun and a pain in the butt at the same time. I could duplicate my gear for each bag but that would put me close to divorce territory. But that would eliminate the need for a second bag. Aaaaaaahhhhhh.

9. Pepsi Jedi

Ahhh that's not a mental issue, that's a "Fear the Wife" Issue.. I have those too. lol

Duplicate gear. *nods sagely* Then you have a fallback. Just do so... slowly. Spread it out.

thePlumbah and dan46er like this.
  10. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

The "Fear the Wife" issue is the biggest factor to consider when buying "stuff." They never understand!

thePlumbah likes this.
  11. Pepsi Jedi

Mine's usually pretty cool about it... up to a point.

I get the "Don't you already -have- like ... 5 bags?" and I have to go "Well yes, but not THIS bag in THIS Size and THIS color for THIS usage!" and she gives me a look.

Sometimes I get the "Look... there's got to be some limit to this stuff at some point right?" and I'll agree. "Sure sure.. there's a limit.... somewhere.. I'm not exactly sure -where- but sure there's a limit, in theory"

and the worse is when she'll see Doomsday preppers or something like that on TV and go "you're not allowed to become one of THOSE freaks!" and I'm all like

"Huh? No no no. Not me! I'm poor! I can't spend $500,000 on a bunker. Those people are crazy!" While in my head going 'but if we win the lottery....... "

12. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

LOL! I tell her that my collecting (which she calls obsessions) keep me home at night!

13. Pepsi Jedi

lol I do the same thing, in a way. I go " I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't pay for hookers, I don't have a sports car..... You're getting off light.. now check out this med kit bag!! It rips off the velcro!"

carryovers and dan46er like this.
  14. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

Nice! I asked for a bunch of stuff for my BD which is Saturday. We'll see what happens!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about getting one of the popular 30 dollar sling bags and building a survival kit with it. Had the itch for a while now to store all the extra accumulated gear in it. I really wish I could try one on a day hike before making the decision. The rough goal is to keep it below 15 lbs without water.

16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Perhaps your gear should go into an organizer pouch that can quickly and easily move from bag to bag.

17. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

I had a few attached on the molle but Im trying to get away from doing that. Suppose I could just toss them in the bag though. However I have I third sickness lol. POUCHES MUST BE FILLED. I then carry way more then I want or need.

dan46er likes this.
  18. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Ha ha. I know the feeling. It started with my youngest son needing a good solid backpack for school, enter Rush 12. Then it was a need for a bag to take to the beach, enter Rush 24. Then it was a need for a weekend bag to do two or three day trips, enter the Rush 72. Then my fishing bag crapped out on me, enter another Rush 12. Here lately the wife needed a pack for work, enter a Fatboy Versipack. LOL, I may need to get me one, only a size bigger, maybe the Jumbo. It never ends, and it's fun getting and using good gear.

GatorMedic likes this.
  19. Pepsi Jedi

I have the Jumbo. It's a great hip bag. looks good in Foilage too.

mley1 likes this.
  20. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

I just got a Rush 12 on eBay this morning, can't wait to try her out!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk