1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So I met Chris Reeve at the Shot Show...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by anitasanger, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I too have met Chris Reeve, and he was nice to me. Maybe he was having an off day? It happens to us all.

zeppo likes this.
  2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

"He is an artisan" Think calling him more of an perfection machinist is a closer description of Chris Reeve at least in my opinion. Not a big fan of his knives but to each their own, buy what you like.

3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Exactly. This isn't a bunch of people insecure to the thought someone could be grumpy. I've heard similar things about CR many times.

If you respect the person it doesn't matter as much when paying $7 for a movie ticket or $10 for an album. For $400 for a pocket knife you have more options. I would rather throw $200 more in and buy something less trendy from another outstanding craftsman who can fake a smile.

People understand that working at trade shows isn't required, right? Pay someone $9 per hour with a personality to stand there for you. Or sit back in smug happiness when people post threads with thousands of views.

Last edited by Blerv, Feb 16, 2013
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Well thats your right, to buy from who ever but i see things a little different.

For one, if I like something and want it i can care less where it comes from. Well to a degree. If the company supports something I don't like then maybe but in this case...... Who cares if the guy comes out to be whatever negative thought you want to give him. Im not going to marry him or ask him out on a date lol if he insulted me directly then of course thats different but in this case lol

He offers what looks to be a good product, i dont own any because thats not my style of blade but his part of the equation is to offer a quality product and that he does. He does not offer a dating service or a school of etiquette.

Anyways. Im done

Carry on lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

GrayMouser and Ogre like this.
  5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Maybe Reeve should name his next knife model ""m'kundu".

jph0200, cowsmilk and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Thanks for clarifying the difference between courting a knife designer and buying a knife. I'm sure the hyperbole has slammed reality into place for the lot of us. To further add its not like he's a violent warlord. It's not like he's been clubbing baby seals. It's not like he's babysitting your dozen newborn kittens.

@All: Spend your money where you want to. Nobody is judging your opinion. The point of this 8 page thread is he "could do things better". Not, "should we overthrow Chris Reeves and his followers?" Fact is if everyone could do a better job. There are very friendly people who have built an empire on good public relations. It's obviously not needed if supply and demand are meeting on admirable terms. Talk to any business person though and they will quickly point out the positive in maintaining a healthy public opinion. Being loved has never hurt the bottom line.

Fukurai and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

Amen. It's not like he's breathing down your neck while you're using one of his knives.

8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice :)

Monocrom, Cobra 6 Actual and kertap75 like this.
  9. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

The ethics of the knife maker IS important to me.

10. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

+1 because as a businessman, the nicer your are to your customers (within reason), the more important you'll become to them.

Monocrom and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Well true but the only people i care about making me feel important is my blood, my family.

Its an "ego" thing. When people get their panties in a bunch because they want to be treated like royalty from everyone.

Yes its good customer Service and relations to be extra nice and basically kiss :censored: to get sales but like i said you still need a quality product.

I dont understand when this generation became so sensitive but it has and i find it troubling because things are not looking good for the future.

kaukol and GrayMouser like this.
  12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Spend your money anyway you like...for me, if someone acts like a dick to me, I'll spend elsewhere. I hardly think expecting common courtesy (especially from a well-wisher) is asking to be treated like royalty.

13. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

I agree with common courtesy, trust me. I also put weight on each situation and judge accordingly.

From the topic of this thread, what chris did, i wouldn't let something as silly as that stop me from buying something i would like to buy.

Mind you Uncle Sam doesn't pay me enough to support my habbit so i should be picky but i think people sometimes (speaking in general) take things to levels they shouldn't.

Anyways, we are beating a dead horse.

Just a friendly debate. Not directed to anyone in particular

14. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I agree.

15. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Ummm...well it's not about making a video, but more about how much one shows off - the crk video came across to me as self patting - talk about tolerances, talk about how much money has been spent in some machine that only crk possesses, etc. - some form of justification about the cost which no one asked for in the first place - a good knife making video takes you through the technology without the self pats. For instance Fellholter's videos makes one feel looking at the technology and probably Brian's tolerances for his blades are at par with crk.

Anyways that's me. I'll spend money on a Grayman Dua, than CRK. :)

16. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

It's not a debate unless the stance of "being rude" has any chance of being a valid business approach. Further having someone snub you audibly and walk away is not expecting royal treatment. I treat people with more courtesy who try to peddle a dollar from me on the street who smell like urine.

Its a dead horse because the conversation is repeating itself. It's not a dead horse because people are supporting douchie behavior. They aren't even attempting to empathize because typicially nobody appreciates others treating them in a condescending way. Even if he was in rare form, and it really happened, he doesn't "have the right because he is Chris Reeves."

I adore Sal Glesser and co. I'm sure he has a temper and doesn't puppy-dog love everyone. He is smart enough to hold his breath and answer the same questions hundeds of times. It's not required due to the freedom of speech, personality styles, personal instances and everything people have mentioned. It IS smart business though.

Edited: to make sense

Last edited by Blerv, Feb 17, 2013
    kertap75 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

For all we know Chris' cat could've died the night before, his bicycle could've been stolen, or maybe he stepped on a George Foreman grill that morning. There's a myriad of things that could have happened to make him 'down' on that day. I think many people are jumping to conclusions as to why he may have been rude to OP. And if he is an introvert than guess what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am one as well.

kaukol, Fukurai and GrayMouser like this.
  18. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

"looked down on" eh

Im not worried about what others say or think of me nor do i care about their actions as long as they dont touch me. Dont know if its my training or being and seeing the things i have.

So walking away or ignoring me wont bother me. Heck i would just laugh

Im not saying what happened is "right" because i agree with you guys. Good customer service is important as well as building a good "relationship" with your customers but i just dont see what happened to be that severe.

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Why attend the show at all if you suck so badly at glad-handing?

kertap75, Blerv and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Folks are free to spend their money however they want. My take is that the world has a giant surplus of jerks. And quite frankly, I'd rather not support one by spending my money on their wares. Yes, for me, it's just that simple.