1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So I met Chris Reeve at the Shot Show...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by anitasanger, Jan 20, 2013.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

One of the staff gave it a shot at trying to pickup Chris Reeve for us. It failed.

2. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you look at the history of the sebenza, incremental changes are all that are made. And they do not appear to be owner driven changes, they instead look like changes that an engineer would make to an existing popular line to keep it fresh.

Sent from my phone while I'm supposed to be working, or sleeping.

3. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

I'm glad I read this too. Was contemplating getting a Mnandi and now I probably won't. Wish I hadn't seen this post, but it's probably better that I did.

Still, some people aren't real sociable. Or maybe he thought he wasn't going to make any sales and didn't want to bother with you. That last reason is why I avoid doing business with certain places if I can help it, even years later.

Last edited by Stuey, Feb 13, 2013
  4. Ogre

Ogre Banned

i had a small seb inbound when i first read this thread.......it didn't spoil anything for me. i love the knife, and so far in interaction with customer service, i have had nothing but quick information and politeness (I've sent several emails inquiring about warranty and other options). All this thread tells me is not to bother trying to talk to chris if i was to see him somewhere. which is no skin off my #$% at all.

Vesp, mrlysle and kertap75 like this.
  5. zeppo
    • In Omnia Paratus

zeppo Banned

Looking at that shop video Mr Reeve does not come across as sociable. IMO that does not mean he is an unfriendly or arrogant man, just a man whose sociable skills are not up to American standard. Being South African maybe he has a little Dutch blood in him and, at least compared to Americans, we are not sociable, but usually come across rude and arrogant. This takes nothing away from his product to me.

Henry Ford wasnt exactly a nice, friendly man, neither was Van Gogh. Perfectionists are usually not sociable people in my experience but they do make things perfect (to them)

kaukol and Ogre like this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I don't think anyone here would argue that he is naturally inclined to be nasty. It's just that a few people, when encountering him, have had isolated "cold" experiences.

Call it what you want. If people always encounter you on your worst day they will assume you a grumpy person no matter how much time you donate to the local animal shelter. :)

zeppo likes this.
  7. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Well i can say this, i kinda understand if he comes across the wrong way and this is why.

My ears are stretched to one inch (plugs) and both my arms and fully tattooed (sleeves) i get multiple questions and compliments from all kinds of people. Old and everything

"does it hurt" etc.

I answer all questions and talk when i can but there are days where i get asked " does it hurt" at least 5 times lol

It goes with thw territory having all the tats and plugs but yeah i am human and im sure i have come across negative

So imagen having a well made knife and being told and asked the same stuff over and over. I wouldn't hold it against the man, i understand

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

zeppo likes this.
  8. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I like mister Reeves more after watching that video!

9. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

While that's all true, I always thought the point of trade shows and conferences is to network, and interact with people. The whole point is to be asked the same things about the same products over and over again, unless you have a press conference where you can broadcast your responses to everyone. If the products were all that mattered, you could send review units to reviewers and journalists. You could make videos that introduce your products.

Even then, not all people are well suited to transitioning from a well-disciplined factory environment to a show floor filled with a throng of enthusiasts and interviewers, and that's okay. Take breaks. Hire others. Heck, drink a little if it loosens you up. There are solutions out there that result in fewer of these forum threads, if your priorities are in fact aligned with reducing their number.

10. Robot Mania FU

Robot Mania FU Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry, but he is the last person that shouldn't be people friendly. When someone is paying a premium price for your product you need to treat them with respect. After all, they are paying for your lively hood. It really makes me angry when people are arrogant because they sell a good product and know "it will sell anyway." That isn't good business and proves that you aren't really in it for the customers.
    With that being said, I've never met him myself nor do I know anyone who has met the guy personally. For all we know he could have been having a horrible day and was just trying to stick it through the shot show? Or have many others experienced this as well?

On a side note: I think all knife makers should be taking notes on Sal Glesser from Spyderco. I did have the pleasure of meeting him and even though he was aware that I wasn't planning on purchasing a knife that day he still sat there and talked to me until I was ready to walk away. That being paired with his presence on online forums such as bladeforums not only answering questions, but directly asking his customers questions shows what kind of guy he is.

jph0200 and Blerv like this.
  11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I figure the point of a shot like SHOT is to promote your product to the masses, and if you are not going to do that, then why bother turning up? I understand people have bad days, or are just not 'people' people, but the point in going to somewhere like SHOT is promotion, and if you are not going to do that what is the point? At the absolute minimum I would at least expect a polite thanks to a compliment...

If he is indeed regularly like this, then why not just avoid uncomfortable situations like SHOT, stay home in the workshop and leave the PR to the PR people? Turning up and being rude is actually going to be counterproductive.

I know something like this makes no difference to the quality of a product, but it does affect the way you perceive a brand, and that is still something you consider before buying - when comparing two similar knives that can be the difference that can push you one way or the other - whether CR being rude pushes you to the other side, or the superb service you get from someone like Sal at Spyderco leaves you leaning in their favour.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Just watched the videos and they do show some of the extreme precision he puts into everything, and as others have mentioned do show him as more of an engineer who focusses on details and quality than a more eloquent craftsman or artisan.

The videos do also cement why I ver much approve of the fact I am a European and work in the metric system - tenths of a thousandths of an inch? This is why we created the metric system and a simple system of powers of magnitude ;)
    And for the sake of doing it properly, one tenth of a thousandth of an inch (or 0.0001 inches) equates to 0.00254mm, or 2.54micrometers.

Last edited by Narcosynthesis, Feb 14, 2013
    Vesp, Kripto, cowsmilk and 1 other person like this.
  13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Honestly, a person doesn't have to be bend-over-backwards friendly. A slight smile and a polite "Thanks," at the compliment would have required practically zero effort on his part. Yeah, his knives are great. But some of us have gotten to the point of being fed up with giving our hard-earned money to unappreciative jerks. Mr. Reeve won't see a penny of my money. His competitors, many of whom are just as good as he is at what they do, they'll get my money instead. Yup, all things being equal, I'd rather not give my money to an arrogant jerk.

jph0200 and Blerv like this.
  14. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Hearing that they were approached and denied selling at the forum store is enough for me to ignore the products. If Rick Hinderer/Rob Orlando are willing to sell to the forum store, Chris Reeves certainly could.

15. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Ever wondered why Spyderco does not do "oh, please look at our billion $$ factory and get wowed" videos?

16. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I actually wouldn't mind if spyderco did a "this is how we make your knife" video. I personally like to watch "how it is made" videos about most anything. Saw a bunch of them when Mr. Rogers was still in the neighborhood, liked the crayola walk through the best. I actually enjoyed the Reeves factory video for what I thought it was, a factory walk through video. Lenslight has a couple as well. I think Jason Brous has a couple also. They are neat to watch.

Sent from my phone while I'm supposed to be working, or sleeping.

17. Ogre

Ogre Banned

you people all made me want to throw more money at crk!

AnthonySC and Vesp like this.
  18. freq18hz

freq18hz Loaded Pockets

You know, I've never really understood why people need to buy something from a "nice man" or a "good dude". What does his personality have to do with the product? You aren't buying the man, you are buying the knife.

Now I'm not defending Chris Reeve. Everything I have read about him/posts I've seen from him point to the fact that he may not be the most socially graceful person. Who cares though? What do you care if he rubs you the wrong way? People say the same thing about Ed Brown.

Has it ever occurred to you folks, that maybe these guys do what they do, for THEMSELVES, and not you? Perhaps they make knives and guns because they like doing it. They just happen to make awfully nice ones, that people want to buy. Why do you need a "for the fans" knife maker, like some cheap rockstar to hero worship? Why does Chris Reeve have to care about you, or what you think of him? Do you think that he would stop making knives if you stopped buying them? He isn't a CEO of a mass manufacturing company. He is an artisan. He probably has no interest in talking to people that don't know him, who attribute some kind of greatness to him. You know nothing about him. You only know about his knives. So look at the knives, and forget about who makes them. If he wanted to be in the spotlight, he would do so on his terms, not yours.

-Freq

kaukol, GrayMouser, AnthonySC and 2 others like this.
  19. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

IMO, you hit the nail on the head there.

GrayMouser and Ogre like this.
  20. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

IDK, It's the last thing I consider when looking for a knife. But if the maker of a knife personally snubbed me I think I would find someone else to buy from. Why would I want to support someone who treated me like dirt? Being ignored like that might seem small but has it ever happened to you? It's very insulting. As most have said, it would be better if he had the sense to stay out of the public eye.

jph0200 likes this.