1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So how do you back up your phone? ...or don't you?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Blackheart, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Employer gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an unlimited data plan about 6 months ago and I'm ashamed to say that I don't use it as much as I could. Part of the problem is that I view it as a single point of failure. I currently don't back it up or have a way of restoring it, so I don't want to be too reliant on it.

So how do you back up your phone? What app are you using? Where do you back up to? PC or straight to external or internal drive? Ever use a "cloud" storage service (Dropbox, for example) for backups so you have access even when out of town? Ever had to do a restore? How did it go? If your phone were to meet with an untimely demise, do you have a plan for quickly getting back to where you were with a new phone?

Last edited by Blackheart, Aug 24, 2016
  2. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

I have an s4. Don't use the kies software it's garbage. I store important info etc an SD card which I take out and back up into a laptop.

Sent from my Coolpad 3300A using Tapatalk

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

We have about 5200 mobile devices that we back up using an MDM but most of our users use the PC to backup because they are also synchronizing music libraries, personal calendars, personal email, etc. About 30% are backing up to cloud services whether it's Apple's iCloud, Google, Samsung, Skydrive, etc. Whether the device gets lost, broken, or hacked there is at least 2-3 restores a week often because people are upgrading devices and need to transfer their 30GB+ of data to the new device. These services have been around for years so restoring a device whether PC or other is a pretty common practice. As mentioned, here are all kinds of third party tools as well although, from what I see, the interfaces that come with the Apple and Samsung devices to restore are pretty simple for doing basic backup and restore. I haven't used the Samsung software myself since my wife moved to Apple two years ago but it sounds like Sao isn't too thrilled with it.

The biggest threat with most of these services is security. The devices are really not too hard to hack so when folks back them up and then link all their services together with a common password it becomes really easy to infiltrate. We have to deal with people loosing their CC information and account information almost as often as we have to restore devices but that's a whole other thread.

tskemp and Blackheart like this.
  4. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

My email backs itself up. Photos sync to Dropbox automatically on wifi. Most everything else is on my SD card or another cloud service that backs up automatically such as Evernote. I don't fear a phone crash or loss as far a data is concerned.

5. Blackheart

I think I would want installed apps and customizations backed up as well as data. For desktops and laptops, at work, we use a networked drive for data that gets backed up nightly. That's fine for your data, but when you're in the middle of a RUSH!-RUSH!-HURRY!-HURRY! project and say your disk crashes, you need to be able to restore the whole system with all your tools and such to a new drive. This is why there's a couple TB external hard drive under my desk that I back the system up to regularly.

Which reminds me, I need to start backing up my laptop, too. Added to TO DO list.

6. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Pics go straight to Dropbox (paid, 1TB), documents go to drive, I find little use for Evernote although I have it and it syncs, InkPad syncs, Pocket syncs, and my Google and Firefox stuff all sync. What I need to backup does so autonomously. Periodically, I transfer the pics to my laptop for further backup and then remove the surplus from my phone.

7. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

No reason to back up apps on the phone as they're readily available from my account on the play store. If you need offline access, then sure, a backup makes sense.

For my PCs, I have on and off site backup.

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I back up my phone to iTunes.

9. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

I don't care. In fact I find it quite liberating having my phonebook culled down to only those numbers I can remember.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  10. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Mine is a company issued phone. Email, calendar, contacts are all synced to the company e-mail servers. I have a few photos on it but I copy those off to my PC manually using the USB cable. All of my music files are through Google Play and I can access that from anywhere, and I have the music files downloaded to my PC as well (directly from Google Play).

So there is nothing on the phone that I really need to back up.

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

When last I did do phone backups, I used Titanium Backup. The Root version is very much worth it for the hardcore options but you have to root your phone.

You can also do a nandroid backup. Most phones need root for this which is too bad. This is everything for the current state of your phone. If you search nandroid s4 you'll get the youtube and other instructional links. The gist of it is this.

Make sure you have good battery charge, usually 75% or more. This is usually overkill, but a nandroid backup will churn a few or more battery percentage points. Your phone will also get a bit hot as its working hard. So do this where it's cool and not sitting outside in the hot sun.

Make sure you have enough space on your phone. How much will vary some by how much data and apps you're backing up. Some phones might let you write the backup to an SD card.

Boot your phone into recovery. This is a safe operation even though most users will not even know the option exists. The specifics vary a bit from phone to phone. Usually, you turn off the phone and press some combination of power and volume buttons to boot into recovery.

Select backup or nandroid, or some other menu choice. Thus the reason it's phone specific as recovery options vary from phone to phone and version to version.

Let your phone do the backup. When it's complete you should get a reboot option on the menu somewhere. Select that.

Copy off your nandroid backup someplace safe.

To restore is much the same. Make sure you have some good battery charge, a cool place to work. Boot into recovery, choose restore and select the nandroid backup you want put back on the phone. Let it churn. Reboot.

If you're not rooted, Helium is alleged to be decent. Never used it.

Last edited by phatch, Aug 26, 2016
    ripjack13 likes this.
  12. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

Which MDM? I'm looking into getting one for our users but we only have a couple hundred phones.

I keep all important files/photo's on my phone synced to a work google account. Contacts and e-mail pull back down once the account is resetup so it's a painless restore process. Plus with my apps downloaded through the play store they are easily redownloaded if need be.

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My email (both personal and professional) is all cloud-based. My calendar is linked to my professional email.

My contacts are backed up over-the-air to iCloud.

I don't care for full reliance on iCloud backup, so I back up my phone about once a week to my PC, via iTunes.

14. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Moving over to IBM Maas360 from Mobile Iron. We've been on Mobile Iron for the last 4 years but our Architecture group believes Maas integrates better, is easier to develop on, and is much more scalable.

15. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

The only thing that's important to back up on my phone are my contacts...all 20 of them. LOL. I use an android so I created a gmail account just for my phone and the playstore. My contacts are all automatically saved on that gmail account.

16. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I don't have anything important on my phone - so what ev. (LOL)

17. Blackheart

OP here. Just a mention that I'm still reading all posts with great interest. Thanks for all your contributions...

ripjack13 likes this.
  18. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

More or less every thing on an android phone can be backed up to your google account, I just got a new phone and was up and running after 20 mins, with everything from my data, contacts and apps, same can be done with Icloud on an iphone.

19. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I have an iPhone so I back it up using iTunes after swearing at it for a couple of hours. Then I try again after realising ive not done it right. I hate that software.

20. dustyraines

dustyraines Loaded Pockets

iPhone 6, auto backup daily to iCloud