1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Snub Love

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by wanderer16, Nov 17, 2017.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

Either or. People get way too caught up in this stuff. Just comes down to preference. I am never under gunned with .38 special standard or +P, got nothing against 9mm but I prefer .38 in a revolver.

2. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Your absolutely correct, sir! Shoot what you like, like what you shoot. Variety is the 'spice of life'. Peace Out!!

#62 Elmiro Dungfoot, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Rfpd29 likes this.
  3. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

I have a question: At the range a while ago, a guy informed me that I was “shaving lead” from my S&W 642. Meaning that my cylinder and barrel are just a hair mis-aligned. Upon close inspection with lights and tiny tools, I believe he is correct, but super hard to tell. So is my LGS my next stop to fix the timing? Anyone else had this problem and repaired it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

you can check your cylinder timing to make a better decision on your plan of action.. unload the pistol... place your thumb against the side of the cylinder fairly tight, and pull the trigger slowly (much easier to do with an exposed hammer ) the cylinder "hand" should rotate it sufficiently far so that the bolt lock engages the recess in the cylinder to lock it in place.. check all 5 cylinders... if it fails to lock in place the hand most likely needs to be replaced (send it to SW)...

if you can find a brass or aluminum range rod that fits snugly down the barrel, insert it down the barrel and check if it slides easily into each cylinder...

the throat of the barrel can be reamed if there is not a good chamfer to allow the projectile to smoothly jump from the chamber to the barrel, but this is something that a pistol smith should do as there is a special ream with pilot needed to do a good job

5. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

I ended up going to the shop. It was so hard tell visually, testing with a hook-like tool (same as your idea), or checking for lead/copper residue.

Your first note was basically the same thing they said. I understand that it would be timing, but no idea what to do about it. Now I do, but the shop guys said the old man was mistaken. My gun is fine. And now I know what to do if this actually becomes an issue.

It’s funny, that old man made one comment. But it stuck with me even though it seemed unlikely based on inspection. Good learning experience from the shop guys tho.

6. Surferdaddy

Surferdaddy Empty Pockets

[​IMG]
    Got some new shoes. Love this little thing.
    Surfer

ballistic, huntnow, garza and 7 others like this.
  7. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

8. huh

huh Loaded Pockets

Love the SP101
    I have the Wiley Clapp version.

Rfpd29, ramjet and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  9. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

10. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Robust is a mild word - these things are built like tanks! I had one in .38 that I probably could have shot magnums out of:eek: Great little guns if they weren’t so heavy.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  11. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

12. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Another of my model 60's. Purchased new upon academy graduation at Cheshire and Perez what seems like a hundred years ago :)[​IMG]