1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Snorkeling Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ErnestS, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

I will be taking a trip towards the end of summer to Hawaii, and will likely be doing a lot of snorkeling. I haven't done it since I was a kid, and am now wondering -- do I need/should I carry an EDC knife while in the water?

I know that H1 steel would be a natural choice. However, I wanted to know if it's overkill to carry one? Also, if you do carry when snorkeling, what method do you use to carry? I'm guessing that IWB and pocket clip carry is probably not a secure method when swimming.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I snorkelled in the Florida Keys twice this summer and carried this in the zippered pocket of my swim trunks. It's purely for cutting as the cobalt blade would snap if you tried to pry with it. I bring it in case I get tangled in something like fishing line. I have never needed to use it but it comforts me to have it. This knife has never had one speck of rust after dozens of saltwater immersions and it is uber sharp.

The titanium marlin spike is very useful when dealing with knotted rope.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I always swim with a knife. I usually carry a Mayo Covert.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

When near or in a body of water large enough swim in, I always carry this tethered to either a belt or a loop on whatever garment that I happen to wear.

Mission Knives MPF1-Ti Folding Titanium Knife
    [img width=640 height=425]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/0dbm/AMK20002.jpg[/img]

5. Cosmo7809

Cosmo7809 Loaded Pockets

I use any one of my spyderco SALTS clipped IWB.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

What?! What manner of heresy is this?! I'm reporting this post! :p

Seriously, though, I just did some snorkeling in Mexico, and I wish I could have had a knife with me. I was in very calm water and didn't go out very far, but, if I had, I would have wanted a knife that could cut lines or ropes in case my wife or I became entangled.

If you're just wondering about the wisdom of purchasing a knife that you may not use again for years, then get one of Spyderco's Salt series - they're great beater knives in their own right. The H1 steel is tough enough to be used like any other steel. It has been compared to AUS-6.

I assume you are looking at a Spyderco Salt knife, since I believe they are the only ones to currently make H1 knives. In that case, I would trust one of the Salt folders, especially the smaller sizes, to stay clipped to the waistband of my trunks. I have a Salt I knife and it is lightweight and the clip tension is strong.

If that doesn't suit you, several sheath makers make Kydex neck/belt sheaths for the Salt knives or version 3 Delicas and Enduras.

If none of those options suit you, the clip attachment point on the Salt knives has a lanyard hole that will fit a piece of paracord so you could make a lanyard for it.

7. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. :)

I think I'm going to pick up a Spyderco Salt before my trip and try swimming with it IWB.

8. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I use a SOG Seal Pup Elite with the black finish and the kydex sheath for diving. I prefer stainless to titanium because it is so much raiser to sharpen. You just have to make sure that you wash it off with fresh water and dry or when you are done (like all other scuba gear).

9. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

Moving parts on most folders will cause issues if exposed to lots of salt water, but I'd say the spyderco salt series is one of the only folders to address that issue. I'd go for one of those.

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

My Mayo Covert will NOT rust. It has a talonite blade, and the all the hardware is titanium. I LOVE it!! Before I got the Mayo, I used a Salt 1 as my swimming/ beach knife.

11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The Boye knives won't rust either.

12. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

one should work for u :

[​IMG]

13. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

I bought a Spyderco Salt before I went to Belize, I also took a regular Delica with me. The Delica rusted badly and I had to constantly rinse it with tap water and brush the rust off, the Salt did not show a spec of rust between snorkeling and wearing IWB in what was a hot and humid place.

14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I view carrying a knife as mandatory for scuba diving and snorkeling. It could save your life.

15. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

:iagree: especially if you are in a heavy kelp environment. I can't tell you how many times I have dived off the California coast (especially around Catalina Island) and been caught in the kelp.

Not sure if there are as many environment threats in tropical locations, but I think it is definitely worth playing it safe. :)

16. Alexipax

Alexipax Empty Pockets

I have the CRKT ABC blade which I use for snorkle/scuba diving where knives are allowed. The combination of PE, serrated edge and pry tip are all the tools I need. It's relatively small so you don't look like Tarzan with a machete strapped on your leg. Also, I havn't had any problems with rust with minimal maintenance (i.e. rinse with fresh water).

[​IMG]

Besides the other safety reasons mentioned, a dive knife is very important if you run across a shark. In the event a shark looks like it's interested in you, get out your knive and stab your diving buddy. Swim away quickly. :p

17. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

In over 550 scuba and mixed gas dives (including technical, and recovery dives, to depths in excess of 300 FSW) I've needed a knife in the water once. I've used a prybar on harvesting abalone, and tools in the water, but only REALLY needed to cut something once, and that was because I was in a hurry and got a bit careless.

After all, when you cut one annoying object (rope, net, whatever) you now have TWO annoying objects.

I've NEVER needed a knife snorkeling. I guess I must be missing out on something.

18. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Interesting -- I've only dived a handful of time, but remember getting caught in kelp many times. It might be a Pacific kelp forest issue -- that stuff feels like it's actively wrapping around your limbs and gear. Since the kelp is so tough, it makes it difficult to pull free. In fact, most divers that struggle to get free end up more entangled and trapped.

This isn't as much of an issue when snorkeling, unless you like to freedive. That's when carrying a knife can be very helpful.

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've driven my truck for over 20 years and have never needed to use my spare tire. Flight ER Doc, can I get rid of it?

20. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Maybe - if it will cause you more trouble than you started with. As I said, when you cut something annoying, you now have two annoying objects to deal with.