1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smartwatches? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bleh, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

I am going to buy one as soon as it can take a submerge in water. or when the note 4 comes out which I am slowly waiting for.

2. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

The Pebble does fine in water. I have showered and swam with it. Not sure on the gears

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

I hear what your saying though I would say it would depend on the multi tool, the LM Wave I use for example is and has been an ever present and ever useful everyday tool that is more than capable of undertaking most tasks, but if understand what your getting at, as a knife is better as a knife and screwdriver has better torque than a multitool. I suppose I'm just saying having a smart watch in an urban environment is a pretty cool and handy thing but I wouldn't use it hiking or camping. I am looking at the pebble at the moment so it's really helpful to get other EDCF members options.

4. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Be great to see it working. If anyone has this post a pic.

5. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

Not out yet, those are just renders, they stated no hardware is done yet. Soon though it looks like.

6. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Looks great though. Can't wait to see it

7. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

Yes it does, I want it badly. Although I really do love my pebble.

8. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Picked up a pebble last week, and loving it so far.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

9. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Never go out without my Pebble…

[​IMG]

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't have a smartwatch and don't plan on getting one, either.
    IMHO a watch should be fairly simple, telling the time and not much else. I like G-Shocks but that's about as much functionality crammed into a watch I don't mind (and I almost never use the different modes).
    I like vintage/retro/military/diver watches, and I see my watch as an opportunity to release myself a little bit, to have a simple, elegant, functional, streamlined piece of my personality on my wrist. Call me crazy, but I'm sitting here wearing a handwind mechanical watch on a leather band. Smartwatches are too impersonal for me. Too connected. I like the feeling of having, literally, a well oiled machine on my wrist, one made of a hundred parts that do absolutely nothing until they're put together correctly, then they all work in perfect harmony to achieve a simple goal.
    I saw a thought on another forum one time that sums up my thoughts. Watches are for the wrist. Smartphones are for the pocket.
    Sorry for the ramble/mini rant. All IMHO and of course YMMV.

Tony Sal and AK Adventurer like this.
  11. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I used to be like you. Obsessed with the mechanical perfection that a wristwatch provides. While I still appreciate that and have a few mechanical watches, my practical side wins out. I used to be strictly mechanical only (seriously, look at some of my posts under the same name over on Watch-U-Seek), then I got a G-shock, and I wore it a lot because it was worry free and comfortable. Then came the Pebble, which I wear every day now unless I'm doing something seriously abusive or going somewhere particularly formal.

Here's the thing, as I've grown, my tastes have evolved, and so has my gear. I used to be anachronistic, obsessed with the Victorian era and it's aesthetic. I was briefly a "Steampunk". But as I've aged and matured, I have become more practical and interested in the future rather than the past. The pebble provides additional functionality that I actually find useful. A common argument for the wristwatch in the time of smartphones is that you don't want to have to take your phone out of your pocket to check the time. Well, you know what, I don't want to take my phone out of my pocket to check the weather forecast either, or to see who that email or text was from when it's probably junk.

The pebble is a sort of realization of myself on my wrist. I'm a gadget fiend who enjoys practical items that ease his daily life.

AK Adventurer and thatotherguy like this.
  12. thatotherguy

bleh
    I've had the opposite progression...
    I like mechanical objects, finding out how they work, fixing what I can, thinking about improvements, etc. so a mechanical watch is great for me.
    I can appreciate the gadget on your wrist thing, and they are handy and functional for some, but not for me. I already never use the extra functionality on my G-Shocks, they only get used for telling the time.
    Of course, what works for you is what you should go with, and the beautiful thing is that I don't have to like it as well:)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  13. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

thatotherguy, It's probably worth mentioning that I'm a Mechanical Engineer who works in consumer electronics Research and Development. I fully appreciate the mechanical aspect of those watches, and that's why I still have a few. But like I said, I'm looking forward rather than back.

AK Adventurer and thatotherguy like this.
  14. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

My EDC watch is a Suunto ABC (Altimeter - Barometer - Compass) watch. That is about as much as a gadget I need for now. For any other app I use my phone. Once someone invents better battery support or less draining hard/software for these, AND if I can ask the smart watch: "Dude, where is my car", and it tells me, I will get one. :)
    I like mechanical watches to, but more for dressed occasion.

thatotherguy likes this.
  15. thatotherguy

Looking back, I realize that I may have sounded a bit arrogant and elitist in my previous posts. I did not intend any arrogance at all, I was just trying my best to put why I prefer non gadget watches.
    ETA- there was supposed to be an "into words" before the period of that second sentence... oops.

Last edited by thatotherguy, Jul 30, 2014
    AK Adventurer likes this.