1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smartwatches? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bleh, Feb 18, 2014.

1. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

For Pebble, the electronic is pretty tough. But the screen has no protection, so it will pick up scratches. There are screen (and case) wrap / protector available, but I didn't apply any of those because I wear mine to the gym and on runs sometimes and want to be able to wash the watch from time to time.

2. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Well, I ordered a Pebble yesterday, and I'll be delivered today!

benjaminbunny likes this.
  3. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

since I use my smartphone as a pocketwatch, does that count as a smart pocketwatch? ;)

benjaminbunny and sl66ICEcuba like this.
  4. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Only if you keep it tucked in a vest pocket tethered on a chain.

JustinJ likes this.
  5. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

For me all them are out of my wish list beca use short batery life :-(

Enviado desde mi GT-I9195 mediante Tapatalk

6. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

<3 Pebble and it's week long battery life. SDK is lookin pretty sick and I've got some cool stuff working. My lockitron and garage door opener are being activated by the watch. I've also got some pentest tools running via the watch (those of you that know what a pineapple is) Lotta really cool :censored: going down. Pebble steel is pretty slick if you dont like the plastic of the original but it's $250.

I've tested a handful of smart watches and so far I'm sticking with the Pebble for now. Only thing that quite possibly makes my nerd twitch more than the Pebble is the thought of a major company putting their money behind wearables. The galaxy gear intrigues me but it does too much IMO. Long battery life and basic functionality is what's really gonna make these take off. A camera/voice calls is a litte much.

Sorry just saw this but good to hear you ordered. Check out slickwraps...cool colors to mod your watch with or at least get a screen protector (my wrist finds door knobs far too often) The factory and is kinda crappy so go get a nice leather or metal one depending on what tickles your fancy and swap it.

[​IMG]

7. brokenoldman

brokenoldman Loaded Pockets

There is a G-Shock watch that has bluetooth for notifications and music control. And 2 year battery life.

Sent from the GTA.

8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

If I could get anything I wanted, I still wouldn't get a "smart" watch.

9. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I have no need for a smart watch, as I don't receive enough phone calls and messages to make it worthwhile, and I don't need notifications for the messages/calls I do receive. However, I did order a Phosphor Touch Time watch, which is not a smart watch but has a similar screen appearance and has several applications that are useful, including appointments, alarms, calendar, moon phases, and more. Also, the screen info format is easily changed, with several different screen formats to choose from. The screen characters are relatively sharp in resolution, compared to older watches.

The best feature of the watch from my viewpoint, however, and the feature that was the purchase clincher for me, is that this watch has a user-replaceable battery. It uses a coin cell battery that is removed through the hatch on the back of the watch. There is a water-resistant gasket on the hatch cover.

I ordered a Touch Time in part because I was offered a very good deal on it when they were still attracting investors, in 2012 and were still developing the design and production. At that time, they offered me a pre-order at a considerably lower price than is offered now for the watch on the Phosphor website. They also had investors contributing to the project on Kickstarter. I told them I could not buy one, even at the reduced price for early pre-orders, and they reduced the price for me further, so I decided to go for it and wait until the delivery that was predicted several months later.

The production did not begin until about a year later, unfortunately, but I finally received the watch a few weeks ago. It looks great. I was planning on doing a short review for this forum when I received the watch. However, I have to postpone the review, as I had to send the watch back to Phosphor for a replacement. It had a tiny bit of damage on the steel band, but the very helpful sales rep Staci authorized an immediate return and exchange for another watch of the same type. I am impressed by her customer service. I'm waiting a few weeks for them to get more in stock, and then I will receive the replacement. After I get a few links removed from the band, I will familiarize myself with the product and try to get time to write a review on EDCF.

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  10. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I looked at those, but they're more expensive, and I really like being able to read the messages and emails without taking the phone out of my pocket. Plus all the other features (see below).

I'm really digging it so far. I've only had it 3 days, but I updated to the pebble (BETA) app on my GS4, got the new firmware update and I'm running some really useful apps. I've got an activity monitor, a sleep monitor and smart alarm, and a little weather station that pulls all the info from the closest station to my GPS location. I really like the vibrating notification rather than beeping.

11. SavageJak

SavageJak Loaded Pockets

Solidarity android brother!!

12. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Check out glance. Nice well rounded app with a Lotta really cool features ;)

13. robo

robo Loaded Pockets

What garage door opener are you using?

14. robo

robo Loaded Pockets

Ever since I purchased mine I have not taken it off. I like it more then the google glass I had. More useful for notifications and not as annoying.

15. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Chamberlain myq... Has an Internet gateway. No app for it... Yet lol

16. Biff...

Biff... Loaded Pockets

I have three. Citizen Eco proximity , MetaWatch , and a pebble . I use the meta watch the most.

17. Double-O

Double-O Loaded Pockets

I like the idea of a smartwatch( whatever brand it may be) in city or urban environment. When digital communication is part of your everyday job.
    However the annoying part is that most smartwatches need to be charge from time to time. Now, if you are a outfield or traveling guy, that may not be ideal.

18. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

The new Motorola 360 might just have me convinced to give it a try...

Radley likes this.
  19. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dig my pebble, especially after i got rid of the rubber strap. Battery goes 8-9 days typically. Don't "need" one, but it does help me notice calls and text messages that I had been missing before because my phone doesn't vibrate hard enough to get attention.

20. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

I love my pebble. Have had it over a year now. Only watch I wear. I turn off gmail notifications most of the time, so I only get calls, and txt/hangout messages. Battery life is 5 days to just over a week. SDK 2.0 has made it a whole new device. Mine's looking pretty beat up, but still going strong. I put a cheap leather band on it and it looks great.