1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smartwatches? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bleh, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I don't need a smart watch. I really don't. Seriously, they're pointless....

That said, I really want a smart watch. Seriously. I've been eyeing them for some time and prices are starting to come down into the realm of possibility.

Anyone have a Pebble or Galaxy Gear? Do you like them?

I really like the Pebble interface and app looks. The new Pebble Steel looks stellar, but is a bit spendy for me. But I could pick up a used Pebble standard on ebay for right around $100, which is super tempting. I like that they have replaceable bands. I like the idea of the e-paper screen. They have just opened up an app market, so we should start seeing fitness tracker apps and other functionality being added, which makes it even more tempting.

The Galaxy gear is obviously more powerful, but it seems more gimmicky. The band doesn't really do it for me, and I really don't see the point of a camera on your wrist all the time like that. But, with them on sale for $150 last week and future sales likely coming up when the GG2 is released, the prospect of a real screen with real horsepower behind it becomes more and more tempting...

Anyone have thoughts on these? Experiences? Pictures?

Sriracha, speeddemon40 and SAKplumber like this.
  2. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I consider it like this. You are carrying a multi tool, jack of all trades, master of none. Or you can carry a knife, a screwdriver etc which are designed for that job and do it well.

That being said, I would be interested to see peoples views and how well it works for them.

3. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

A friend of mine got a pebble and is having a lot of fun playing with it, but I get the impression he sees it as a toy. They're good for a tinkerer.

These aren't for me so I can't say much more than what he's told me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

Once they have a feature called "Find my car" and better battery life, I may consider one

OreoGaborio and SAKplumber like this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Or a "what did I come in this room to get?" app;)

peak_oil, kd7dvd, OreoGaborio and 2 others like this.
  6. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure I get this analogy. Are you saying that because it's a feature rich platform, it will do worse as a watch? My problem is that it's so redundant and all it's saving me is having to reach into my pocket to check notifications. But still, I see some benefits to them. I'm particularly interested in the vibrating alarm/smart alarm function so that I don't have to wake my wife when I get up to leave in the morning. of course that means I'd have to wear it over night.

Well, I'm an engineer and a tinker, so I think that's why I'm so interested in them. I bought one of the TI EZ430 Chronos watch dev kits a few years back, but ended up not doing anything with it because I'm not a software engineer, but the current run of smart watches seem to have a much larger development base and can play directly with my phone, so that opens up a lot more possibilities and functionality.

You joke, but there is a "find my car" app you can get, you just have to remember to mark the location when you get out of the car. Battery life on the pebble is ~3 days from what I read, so that's not too bad considering I charge my phone every night.

I've been considering one of the fitbit wristbands for a while now, but the pebble is the same price and seems to have the capability to do everything the fitbit does, although I don't think the apps are there for it quite yet.

7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Basically, the way I view them at the moment is a extension of your phone, and it only saves you a few seconds. Once more apps are out for them, then possibly but their functions don't seem to do much I can't already do with my phone.

8. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I agree. Almost by definition, they're redundant with the phone they're tethered to. I'm trying to talk myself into and out of one at the same time.

Pros:
    • Not a bad price for a feature rich rechargeable digital watch ($100 is less than most G-shocks).
    • Notifications on my wrist is pretty cool
    • Changing my watch face to match my mood is pretty cool. I already do that with my homescreen with Themer.
    • vibrating alarms to wake me up silently.
    • Eventually the app market will mature and there will be fitness tracker apps and sleep monitoring apps to make it even more useful.

Cons:
    • I already have plenty of watches.
    • it solves a really non-existent problem.
    • The $100 could probably be spent better somewhere else.
    • Literally everything the watch does can be done with my phone, which is already withing 3 feet of me at all times.
    All that said, I'm leaning toward picking up a pebble used unless the Galaxy gear goes on sale again in the next week or two. Still mulling it over. I'd really like some owners to chime in.
    Paging @bzimmerly @freddy russo @ObiHann @Rabidfox @Kripto @Hartigan I know you've posted about them elsewhere, and I've read those posts but I'd be interested in a recent take on them after owning it for a while.

BklynBoy and bzimmerly like this.
  9. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I got a pebble paired with iPhone. My other watches hate the pebble. I have been wearing this watch 4-5 days a week (almost on all work days) and I never missed a phone call any more. Its nice that I don't have to carry my phone anywhere anymore around the office and I can just leave it on my desk. And also its nice that I can slient my phone, but still won't miss any notification. Its a relieve that I don't have to constantly checking my phone any more ...

Then here's the new problem, now my watch bugs me instead of the phone bugs me. Never miss any notification also means I will get bugged whenever there is new notification. And the funny thing is that, sometimes I feel relieved when I am wearing other watches because I know my watch is not going to bug me ... LOL

Having said that, its a lot of fun wearing the pebble. There are tons of watch faces out there. I may also become OCD on checking what new watch face has been released. You can even create your own watch face, or do programming on apps ...

Like you said, it solved a problem that doesn't exists, and also created a bunch of problems :)

BJJ0725, m2usa and bzimmerly like this.
  10. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

also paging @PPCApache ... How's the Galaxy Gear treating you?

11. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I've read countless reviews of both and have seen the Galaxy Gear in action. I'm just not all that convinced smart watch technology is there yet for massive consumption. It's just a nice widget to have for now. The design, battery life, and user interface leave a lot to be desired.

That being said, once this rumored iWatch from Apple comes out, I'm sure the other manufacturers will step up their game. Come a year or two, I'm betting smart watches will really be something that's worth purchasing.

12. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Meh... screw apple. I'm android all the way.

13. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I had a little extra money I would buy one mostly to help keep the manufactures motivated

14. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Great, I use it for work every day, I have to take photos of stores before and after I enter, it is so much easier and faster on the Gear, which automatically sends the photo to my Note 3.

With the updates to the GS4, Note 2 and GS4 Active here in Australia the Gear works on more devices it also includes the Note 10.1 2014 tablet.

Yes a lot of people thought it was very gimmicky, but since the firmware update and the Gear Manager updates more notifications can be sent to the device. I don't miss any calls, or important EDCF posts (via Tapatalk Pro) as they all come through to the Gear.

I find the Gear is more comfortable to wear than my old G-Shock watch I have had for more than 8 years.

Just remember most people spend around $150 - $300 on a good watch be it a G-Shock or other type so if the watch could do more than tell the time at around the same price isn't that a great deal?

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PPCApache, Feb 18, 2014
    OreoGaborio and speeddemon40 like this.
  15. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've been wearing my Pebble more and more since the latest App Store they released and the FW update.. Oddly enough, I'm wearing it while I sleep now as well.. I'm on call 24x7 and need to be woken at night occasionally. I'm also nearly Deaf now and the vibration on my wrist wakes me up.

16. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Better watch out for this then..
    arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/e-z-2-use-attack-code-exploits-critical-bug-in-majority-of-android-phones/

17. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I personally think the minimal time saved looking at your watch is spent elsewhere... Like remembering and having to charge the smart watches frequently. Plus you are going to have to take out the phone anyways to do a lot of the stuff the watch lacks. I think it is more of saying you have the latest and greatest tech opposed to actually needing it. It is just one more extra piece of the puzzle that I don't need, this watch is trying to simplify but rather it is just complicating. Easy enough to get my phone out, check it when I get whatever notification/call than put it back in my pocket. Not check my watch than check my phone which was bound to happen because the watch isn't fully capable.

18. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'm on Android 4.3, so I'm good.

19. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

How tough are the watches however? I tend to find myself removing my watch at work purely due to the type of work I do. I have knocked and broken a few watches. You guys are starting to sway me :(

20. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

I don't see it being useful for me.

I sit at a desk with 3 cell phones on it all day, so doesn't save me any time.

Even while out and about, I don't see the need for a notification on my wrist, if I have to pick up my phone to reply anyways.

Seems more a waste of time, and then here is the issue of charging, and how long that battery is going to last in the long run.

Buying one of these watches at this point in time is just not "smart" IMHO. The current offerings are just not useful enough, but I am hopeful this will change over time.