1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smartphone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by critterfixer, Feb 11, 2011.

1. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

I can upgrade to a new phone next month and I am planning on getting the iPhone 4. My wife has one and I have played around with hers enough to be fairly familiar with it. But I was wondering what the members here think on this subject. Is the iPhone the best choice? Am I passing up something better? I'm with AT&T and don't plan on switching. I've never had a smart phone before, so I have no expectations. This is what I need this phone to do:
    1.) Get good reception. I live in a rural area and will be using the phone for work as an on-call veterinarian making farm calls. I need to be able to make calls on it.
    2.) Have a good, easy to use calendar/appointment schedule function.
    3.) Easy text messaging
    4.) Good quality camera for snap shots, doesn't have to be portrait quality
    5.) Recreational internet surfing, such as edcforums.com
    6.) Watch occasional youtube videos
    7.) Interested in various applications such as gps, trip planners, shopping lists, etc.

2. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

3. thenextarcher

thenextarcher Loaded Pockets

i use the nokia 6790 its a sliding phone great for texting and i use internet about 20+ times a day on it... plus its not a touch screen. I hate touch screen phones. i think you can get them for at&t.

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Reception depends mainly on the carrier, not the phone. If you have good service with AT&T, then I would stick with it. If you know other carriers have better reception - then I guess you can switch, but there are the exact same phones on other carriers.

All the smartphones are very similar in capabilities. Android has a bit more enhanced functionality at some UI expense. Remember that the cheap Android phones have cheap hardware to match. iPhone has the most apps and a ton of developers and money behind it. Appointments/notifications are terrible on the iPhone. The 3GS isn't as pretty as the 4, but there's nothing really wrong with it. I probably wouldn't go with Windows Phone 7 or WebOS (Pre) at this time.

5. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

I say go with the iPhone. If you don't want to pay full price for the iPhone 4, AT&T still offers the 3GS, as well.

As far as apps go, the sky is the limit. You specifically mentioned cruising this forum, so Tapatalk is a must.

6. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

I have a iPhone 4 and an T-mobile G2 and I use the G2 more. I like the iPhone but since I have a gmail account everything syncs with the G2 Email is instant..calendar. google earth..navigation..etc

I would say the G2 has better Navigation by far iPhone has better quality apps. Not saying Android doesn't have good apps but iPhone are more polished but for example
    Angry Birds cost money on the iPhone but is free on Android.

For the average person the iPhone is great that is Apple's plan. You can't really tweak it too much. Android is more for the Geek. You can pretty much do what you want with it.

7. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

I had a really nice reply typed out here... but it got deleted.

Include WP7 in your search.

iPhone is good, but doesn't give you control over your device like Android.

Android is great, but doesn't have godlike control over the app store, so crap gets in there that you need to sort through.

People will tell you that you need antivirus or task-killers on android. It's unspeakable bull, neither is necessary, and this kind of thing might have come from the marketing department at apple.

Don't buy a budget android phone, they are disappointing. Just get whichever android phone came out most recently from Motorola or HTC.

The upfront cost of the phone is nothing compared to the total cost of the service plan over the life of the contract. Repeat and remember this.

8. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

Agree...don't buy a samsung because it looks like they won't be able to run anything above android 2.2.

Win7 is actually a nice OS...I think people are gunshy so don't really know how well MS will support.

9. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

I'm currently using the blackberry torch, My iPhone 4 sits in the draw. My company issues the new pearl 3Gs. Personally I have no experience with Android, my dad uses an HTC model not sure which one. If you go for a blackberry get the torch. It's a incredible device, i have experience with the curve 8900 as well. Blackberry all the way :)

10. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I have always been a Blackberry fan, but they were not keeping up. I just got my iphone from Verizon on Monday and wow, this thing is very cool. I was a little worried about email management, but so far is has been very good and I actually find it easier to manage my inbox.

Web surfing is great and the camera is fantastic.

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would get the iPhone 4!!

12. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I would have gotten an iPhone last year if it was offered on Verizon. So last summer I ended up with an HTC Incredible and I've never looked back. I'm a real big fan of Verizon and now I'm a big fan of the android OS. Lots of customization and I have no problem with the app store if you use common sense and research apps before you download. I'm up for an upgrade this year and I'm definitely getting another android smartphone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

13. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the advice. I've zero experience with android, but I'll be sure to remedy that before I make my final decision. I've got some time before I can actually upgrade, so I'll try and spend some time browsing at the local cellular store. Thanks for all the suggestions, some of these brands I've never even heard, such at HTC. I'm pretty biased towards the iPhone, but I now have some other ideas to consider. Thank you all.

14. mrpink

mrpink Banned

people who like bb's usually have never tried another smart phone.

15. black71label

black71label Loaded Pockets

This is really up to your carrier. Verizon has always been great for me but as always, ymmv.

I use Google services almost exclusively. The calendar function built into Gmail that syncs with Android phones is better than anything I've used before. That includes Outlook/Exchange servers and Blackberry.

I currently have a Droid X. The on screen keyboard in portrait and landscape meets my needs. I've used other phones with physical keyboards and on screen keyboards but the Droid X is the best by far.

This is the one area that I think the iPhone has an advantage in over most Android phones. The camera on my Droid and Droid X have been pretty sub par.

Android with Dolphin Browser Mini and Tapatalk can't be beat. Dolphin Browser Mini is a free browser on Android phones that is by far the best mobile browser that I've used. I'm sure you've heard of Tapatalk already.

This is where (along with web browsing) the screen size of the Droid X really shines

Google Navigation/Maps is the best Navigation/GPS application available, regardless of price. There are various trip planners available. I use Google Tasks and GTasks on my phone so sync shopping lists that I make in my calendar.

I think the main consideration with Android is how entwined are you with Google and how much more so would you like to be. If you want to leverage all that Google offers then definitely get an Android phone. There are some great, powerful models coming out in the next few weeks/months.

16. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I do not like touch screen phones. So my blackberry is perfect for me.

17. jomalley

jomalley Loaded Pockets

Since the OP asked about the iPhone, here's my two-cents worth. I have an iPhone 3G (personal) and a Nokia C6-01 (work), both on AT&T. I really like the iPhone. It's great in almost all areas. Usability is fantastic, UI is good, and the product works out of the box. Because of its popularity, accessories are abundant, and of course, the app store has means that pretty much any software you'd want is available. There are two places where I find it is lacking:

1. As a phone. Call quality is awful. Comparing them side-by-side with the Nokia on the same network, there is a vast difference.
    2. Bluetooth. Apple, for whatever reason, is slow to implement Bluetooth profiles, which have been defined since the 90's. It barely integrates with my in-car system. It'll pair, and you can route sound through the mic and speakers, and that's it. The iPhone will not respond to any of the car controls.

Joe

18. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Samsung Captivate. It blows my girlfriends iPhone 4 out of the water especially for the actual use of being a phone.

19. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

Huh, I loathed ATT and couldn't wait to switch. To each their own I guess...

I was a bit of a phone Luddite for years. Hated the idea of touchscreens, didn't want no internets on mah phone etc. Then work issued us Blackberry's and it rocked my world. I've used several models of Curve, and I currently have a Torch. My personal phone is an HTC Evo, and I've spent a lot of time playing with a friend's iPhone 4. Here's a strengths/weaknesses analysis of the models I know of first hand (I hear Win Phone 7 is actually quite good, never tried one).

Blackberry. By far the best for typing. Fast, easy, accurate: it's unrivaled by any touch screen only phone. Less convenient/fast on the Torch, but still good. Internet browsing is ok, albeit not as good as iOS or Droid. Email/calendar management is ok when linked to an Exchange Server. Massive pain in the rear to get apps. Reception for me is generally not good, but unless you live in W WA that's not applicable. Bulletproof (the old Curves were anyway, haven't beaten up the Torch much).

iPhone. Very slick presentation, fairly durable, meh call quality, great app selection, sealed marketplace (a good and bad thing), sealed OS (good and bad thing), ubiquitous, very good internet browsing, crappy for texting or email.

Evo. Huge freaking screen, but not bulky in your pocket, haven't beaten this one up yet so no idea on durability, open marketplace and OS (good and bad), great touch screen response (as good as if not better than iPhone), 4G with Sprint! a far cheaper contract than Verizon or ATT, much better camera than the iphone, front and rear facing cameras for video chat. Crappy battery life, can be improved. Battery is swappable, as is the memory.

Between an iPhone and an Evo, it's the HTC for me every time hands down. It eats Apple's lunch in pretty much every category except battery life, having Steve Jobs tell you what apps you can buy, and being an Apple product. If (and only if) you'll need to frequently write long emails or have lengthy text conversations, get a Blackberry.

20. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

The 5mp camera on the iPhone 4 is better than the 8mp camera on the new HTC devices, but I use a camera for my camera, not my phone.