1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smart Watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Thomas Carey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Evil D,

(sorry in advance if this constitutes a thread hijack ;). Admins please feel free to re-locate.

Your post caused me to think about this once again .... digital clocks/watches didn't kill their analog ancestors, but one thing that's kind of bugged me for quite a long time is how children are taught to tell time. Why on earth are analog clocks used for this purpose? "If the little hand is in-between the 4 and the 5...." It's insane. Teach kids to tell time using digital displays. It is more easily readable and they can more quickly make the connection between the time on the clock and what it looks like outside, instead of trying to figure out what an analog clock is trying to tell them. Kids can learn analog clock displays when they are a little older, when they can reason better. Why on earth schools still have analog clocks is beyond me, unless it's just another thing that they don't have money to replace. I can see public analog clocks eventually disappearing. Don't get me wrong, I love analog watches....

I have discussions with my wife from time to time about this. And that usually morphs into a related topic, why doesn't the U.S. use 24 Hr time, as most of the rest of the world does? I used to travel for Montreal for work back in the 1980s-1990s and even back then Quebec was using 24Hr time (the movie starts at 19:30). I read in Wikipedia that most non-English speaking countries use 24 Hr time, while the US, Australia, the UK and most of Canada do not. And even in the latter 3 countries, you can find both 12- and 24-Hr time used.

How do you guys feel about these 2 items? They just seem so anachronistic to me, sort of like dial phones and faxes and so much else.

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I prefer analog watches and clocks. They give you the time without imparting the sense of urgency that digital time does.

"I have 5 minutes left" feels different based on how you determine it...glancing at the space on an analog dial vs. subtracting.

That being said, I think in 24-hour time. All of the digital clocks (e.g., phone, car, computer, etc.) I control work on 24 hour time, and that's actually the first thing that comes to mind even on my 12-hour watch face.

I also seem to like some anacronisms....I shave with a straight razor (technically a shevette...because I can't get my Torrey as sharp as Feather Artist Club Super Pro blades), my computer uses a tiling window manager and a mainly keyboard-driven UI, I DJ (as a hobby) with a rotary mixer designed in the early 90s (and wouldn't replace it with anything more modern than the 80s).

It kind of balances out things like Google Glass and the dot sight on my carry gun.

Like I said...watches are one thing I just refuse to update.

3. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

The Pebble Time is waterproof and pretty darn tough, and lasts at least 4-5 days +. Sometimes I think I'd actually prefer a nice analog watch as well, but the utility of a smartwatch, specifically the ability to change faces, vibrating alarms, timer, stopwatch, and ability to get the weather and many other apps and notifications is just too much to give up.

garza likes this.
  4. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Samsung Gear 2. With progs to remote our TV and the Heatpump. And all the other common apps. :)

Sent from my S6 Edge+

5. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

I've had a Moto 360 since May, when they were marked down to $150, otherwise it would still be one of those "interested, but not paying that much for it" things.
    It can be fun (Pac-Man watchface gets a lot of comments when I use it), useful (quick glance at time, messages, weather, etc, without pulling phone out), multifuncion (quick google searches, send a text or email hands-free, control music playing on my phone, answer phone calls, etc). Open google keep notes on watch face for different lists, etc.
    Convenient when busy with both hands, bluetooth headset in, answer phone call from wrist, no need for pulling out phone to see who's calling or to answer.
    Going somewhere with navigation on your phone? Yep, sends info to watch, even vibrates when you're coming up on a turn, shows you which direction and how far to next turn.
    Activity tracker - I'm doing a lot more walking with a persistent, visual cue to how many steps I've taken, and trying to best my average each week.
    I get lots of use from it.
    But no, it will not replace standard watches, due to cost, battery life (though I've only ever had to recharge it twice in this time before bedtime), and other aforementioned reasons.
    It's a convenience, and an expensive one at that, especially if you're in the apple ecosystem.

But, I know of no standard watch that can display how long until my Domino's pizza order is ready. Or has a whoopee cushion app that you can place your phone behind the unsuspecting "victim", walk away, press the button and have everyone else look at them - great fun in the office! :)

6. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I think I like the idea of vibrating alarms. That's about it. But not enough to spend 200$. My citizen Eco drive just works.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My wife is the exception. As a fitness professional, she wears a Jawbone Up and frequently a Garmin multi sport GPS watch. Simultaneously. She'll get a lot more functionality for what she wants to do and better integration with her iPhone, so she's getting an Apple Watch for Christmas.

It's not for me though -- I have no need to quantify my life the way she wants to.

8. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Well I didn't think I'd ever get one. I found a deal on a Gear Live for $79, which runs the Android Wear OS. I find it extremely useful and put aside my gshocks. I'm on my phone all day for work and end up missing text messages and other notifications. I use my Bluetooth headset religiously as well, at work. I manage a group of field technicians, and I can only talk to one person at a time. If it weren't for text messages, my guys would be waiting hours for answers to quick questions. Unfortunately while on the phone I tend to miss text notifications. With the watch, I no longer miss texts. I also don't have to fumble with the large Note 3 constantly. The Wear platform expands the functionality compared to earlier smart watches.

So just to summarize, my watch has become an essential tool to improve my time management and communication for my job. If I didn't spend all day with my phone, it would be little more than a novelty. Even so, I'm finding it's great for non work things too such as shopping lists and calendar reminders, and just not having to pull the extra large phone out of my pocket. Those who have a need will find them useful, those who don't will see them as toys and a fad. Which is true with a lot of things. The beauty of a free market.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

9. Tbay

Tbay Empty Pockets

I love my Motorola 360

Radley likes this.
  10. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Me too

sent from S6 edge plus. boom!!

11. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

I used to love my Pebble Steel
    ... now it is more a love hate thing ... about to get replacement #2 coz the screen keeps going garbled and I find I can't guarantee that notifications make it from my phone to the Pebble. Think I'm going to get an automatic.

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I had one of the first gen Pebbles too, but picked up a Pebble Time when they were last on sale. I can tell you that I had the same love/hate relationship with my first Pebble, but the Pebble Time has been fantastic. No screen tearing or garbling, no losing connections, color screen, same long battery life, and consistent notifications. If you once loved your Pebble, I would definitely recommend giving the Pebble Time a look. It's everything the Pebble was designed to be.

13. rolland

rolland Loaded Pockets

I have a Pebble Steel and i'm super happy with it. I work in home improvement business and since i got it when newer one came out i spent less then $90 for it. What is so good about it? I don't have to take my phone out if somebody calls, i can see who's calling on the watch and also answer from the watch (i wear a bluetooth handsfree). It doubles as a activity monitor / sleep monitor and music remote for my iPhone too. it gets replaced by a Citizen ecodrive only when i need to change in a suit for special occasions and even then if i'd put the leather belt back it will be acceptable to wear it.

14. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I don't know if smart watches will kill off normal watches, but I do think we will see a lot of convergence toward "smarter" devices in the future. Some mainstream names in watches are already building smart features in their new watches. Wearables are still a young segment and are being hampered by the realities of today's technology. We are on the cusp of another tech revolution. So many sectors are getting ready to hit the mainstream--virtual reality, internet of things, connected vehicles. I think wearables are right in that sweet spot where we will see some amazing things soon. Some day, your PC may be on your wrist, and when you set down at a dumb terminal with a keyboard, mouse, and screen, it will wireless connect and you are up and working, no matter where you are. Your files will be there and because it is using always on biometric security, it is inherently secure. Exciting stuff is coming, and I can't wait to see what's next!

15. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a pebble time and I love it.
    I use it mainly so I don't need to take my phone out of its case, or for directions/map when out and about.
    Since I live in Saudi, the prayer time app on my timeline is very handy, it lets me get to a coffee shop just before prayer so I can get a coffee and a seat to wait out the prayer break.