1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smart Watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Thomas Carey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. pwscott

pwscott Loaded Pockets

CalicoSalsa and Hertz33 like this.
  2. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

If someone could conbine G-Shock solar durability, weight and no need for battery change/charging, and fitbit flex functions they will have a life long buyer, the phone conectivity thing does nothing for me.

CalicoSalsa and RobMann21 like this.
  3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I agree, although i do like the phone connectivity.

I wear a watch (Ti Ecozilla) and a fitness band (Fitbit Charge HR)
    the Zilla is just a watch, a big, solid, reliable watch, but just a watch.
    the fitbit has a clock, but i only use it to track workouts, steps per day and heart rate - in conjunction with the fitbit app - as a result i am slowly losing weight, and have a bit more of an idea of how much exercise i am doing every day.
    one thing i love about the fitbit is the ability to set silent alarms, and have call notifications.
    when the alarm goes off it flashes the time, and a vibrating motor shakes the watch, when the phone rings the number or contact name scrolls across the screen and it vibrates.
    i am more likely to notice this vibration, than my phone in my pocket (i also frequently leave the phone on silent, sitting on the desk/in the car cupholders) i would love if it had a slightly bigger screen and could alert/show me texts too

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  4. Gundose

Gundose EDC Junkie

Do you enjoy the walk that comes with it? LOL! I'm just curious what that watch cost. If I paid over $200 for a watch and it walked. I'd be upset.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  5. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

Not quite sure what do you mean by "walk". I've paid around $150

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  6. RobMann21

RobMann21 Loaded Pockets

I think it will gain some popularity, but I don't believe it wont last long. I am surprised how many people don't wear watches at all anymore. Seems the masses just check their phones.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  7. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Hey fella, how you liking the 360 thinking of getting one to upgrade from my Pebble. Is it recommended? And how's the battery? Cheers

sent from S6 edge plus. boom!!

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  8. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

There seems to be quite a divide on the smart watch debate. I have had a Pebble smart watch for well over a year now and can honestly say that it has been a God send. I have to attend a lot of meetings and also visit lots of places during the day. This means I end up having turn my phone on to silent so I ended up leaving it on vibrate only, so having three watch to let me know what's going on quickly without having to take my phone from my trousers or coat pocket everytime. I understand it's can be classed as a novelty but it has been very useful for me.
    Battery life needs to improve but have to say I like them and in the right environment it can be great.

This is only my opinion, but wanted to share my thoughts.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  9. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

Actually I've sold it yesterday. Back to old school analogs. It's a nice gadget but I've got tired of it. Battery is...well it has its days. Sometimes it lasts 10-12 hours, sometimes I've put it on a charger at 2pm. Depends on how many calls and notifications you receive during the day.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

CalicoSalsa and Radley like this.
  10. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Well I did it. Liking the watch, but agree about the battery. Ordered another charger for work and made sure I got the metal strap to avoid on off damage.
    [​IMG]

CalicoSalsa and Hertz33 like this.
  11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I LOVE my Apple watch. I love it enough, that I am pretty much selling off all my other watches, except the watch that I was given as a gift.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  12. tysonb

tysonb Loaded Pockets

I have an Apple watch (currently), and have had a Pebble, and a FitBit Charge HR. I also have ADHD and find the vibrating calendar notifications invaluable for keeping my daily call schedule with staff, colleagues, and clients. I despise the battery life, and don't like that its capabilities will be eclipsed by the next model or the one after that. Although not quite rendered obsolete, the siren call of greater functionality like better health tracking benefits will eventually cause me to upgrade. On the weekends, I do like to wear one of my more traditional timepieces (CountyComm large Pilot with red crown, Seiko 5, and a titanium Momentum GMT) but I have found myself 'missing' the ability to very easily set an alarm or send a meeting invite when something from the work week clicks (via Siri).

With respect to the OP's questions, smartphones for the young adult have effectively banished the need for a separate time piece. With the inclusion of other functionality that a smartwatch provides as well as just the time, those whom until the smartwatch came into being would never consider strapping a watch to their wrist. Perhaps that exposure could have the reverse effect exposing that group to wearing non smartwatches.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  13. sap

sap Loaded Pockets

I can't bring myself to even attempt to like smart watches. As much trouble I have with phones and computers in a given week I just want a watch that tells time with relative accuracy. I love the simplicity of a mechanical watch. No battery, no fuss.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  14. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

OK, first impressions on my new Huawei watch. AWESOME. Firstly it's a looker. Now for the really good part - the battery. It's insanly good. After 12 hours taking it of the charger and with "Always on" mode, tilt to awake and wrist gestures on I still have 40% left. And it's snappy as a king cobra. With my gen.1 moto 360 with everything on "off" it was screaming "charge me" at 3 p.m.

15. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Why a smartwatch?

I've spent the last couple of weeks or so with my Pebble Time that has replaced a 1st gen Pebble. The 1st gen Pebble was still working fine, but I couldn't resist the 25% off sale (for $50 off) and snagged the Time. I've always been a watch guy, so wearing one is second nature to me. I am not going to pull a phone out every time I want to check the time. Here are some things that I really like about the Pebble smartwatch (the only kind of smartwatch I've ever owned):

1 - I am a stickler for a watch that keeps very accurate time. I went through quite a few both cheap and expensive traditional watches that would either gain or lose time, sometimes significant amounts. My phone syncs its time and stays correct all the time, the Pebble gets its time from the phone, therefore my Pebble keeps perfect time.
    2 - I liked the function of the original Pebble, but it did look rather "geeky". The Pebble Time is a much nicer looking watch, and I actually like the way it looks on my arm.
    3 - There is a music app on the Pebble that controls the music on my phone. When I'm working out at the gym, I leave my Pebble music app open. I can pause, rewind, or fast-forward the music without ever touching my phone, which is very convenient.
    4 - I don't browse the internet, etc. on my Pebble. The one thing that it does best is let me know when I get a notification on my phone. I can't tell you how many notifications I missed before the Pebble because I didn't feel my phone vibrate. Now I don't miss notifications, and more importantly, I know what the notification is for. If needs attention, I deal with it immediately, if it's not important, I can ignore it. I pull out my phone probably 75% less now than before I had the Pebble, because I'm not pulling it out every time I feel the phone vibrate to see what it is.

I know that Android watches do way more with Android phones, and yes, I would love to have an Apple Watch that has some amazing features, but I don't love the price. For what I want a smartwatch for, I'm more than happy with my Pebble Time.

16. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I'm a Pebble Time as well, for pretty much all of those ^ same reasons. The vibrating alarm is a lifesaver for me too, I much prefer to wake up to that then my phone or any other regular audible alarm clock. The ability to change watch faces is a good time waster/fidget feature too, not to mention all the information you can get on the faces such as day/dates in different formats, weather, battery status, etc. Add in full waterproof-ness and a battery that lasts at LEAST 4-5 days without trying to save battery at all (playing with it quite a bit, notifications always on, motion-enabled backlight on, and it's the cat's meow. I rock mine with a band from Richard Tracy Brands called the Hammer in a multi-cam paint scheme. The Hammer bands are wider then the stock Time bands but they have mucho ventilation and are super comfortable.

17. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I must say that I've enjoyed the Pebble Time much more than the original Pebble that I had. I occasionally had some screen tearing on my old Pebble, and every couple of months it would lose connection to my phone, and I would have to delete the Bluetooth profile on my phone and reconnect. The Time has been flawless since I've had it. As much as I liked my old one, I love this one a lot.

How do you like the Hammer band? I've got it on my Amazon wish list, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I was afraid it would be too wide for me (and I'm not sure I want to undertake changing the band).

18. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I love it! I was skeptical at first too, but I'm a small-wristed guy and it doesn't seem too big/wide at all. It's very comfortable and my wrist does seem to get less sweaty than with the original solid silicone band it came with. I switch back to the stock band every once in a while when I feel a multi-cam band isn't ok for a professional setting.. and I always want to switch back to the hammer immediately. I've got a black Hammer on the Christmas list for that reason!

19. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

If I end up carrying a bag everywhere again (especially if it winds up a backpack), I could see carrying something like a moto 360 as a pocket watch for quick interactions and leaving the phone in the bag.

It'd be weird, but it would work.

20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Not until they figure out how to make them waterproof and a lot tougher, and even then it's not like the digital clock made the analog clock obsolete.