1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smart watch

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by everydayorangejoe, Jun 17, 2016.

1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I read more about the Fenix 3. Great smart-watch. Unfortunately for me the price point is way beyond my humble needs.
    Numerous reviews have much good to say about the Fenix 3, it's just beyond what I could ever justify spending.

For the money if I purchased any smart-watch it would likely be a Fitbit Surge since I have using the Fitbit One for several years.

2. madjoe86

madjoe86 Loaded Pockets

I'm still rocking the Samsung Galaxy Gear Neo. Still looks brand new, and functions just fine. The speaker is amazing for speaker phone calls, and all the health functions are handy. I did have a texting app on it for a while, but didn't keep it because the key board was way to small to use.

3. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Pebble time here. Unfortunately the company is bought by fitbit now, but the watch should still work with the phone for awhile till some security patch kicks it off. Then there are always 3rd party work-arounds. Can't beat 5-day battery life, always on, notifications, text responses, basic activity tracker, and all for $70 off Amazon.

garza likes this.
  4. mario23

mario23 Loaded Pockets

Love my Fenix 3 HR. Besides what was already mentioned, I have IFTTT on mine as well. I can use it to control all sorts of stuff.

5. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Fossil Q Marshall here. So far so good. I can get about a day on it as far as battery life goes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Apple Watch here.
    I Love it and I Hate it in equal measure probably.

I support Apple stuff and so it is a natural for me and it does make the daily stuff easier to access for sure even though I can barely read the screen most of the time but I HATE the nightly charging required though it is not hard to do and it is a double edged sword to be that accessible too.
    It also feels like I am being electrocuted sort of when it rings.

The funny thing is that now when I wear another watch and my Phone vibrates on my belt I have a Pavlovian wrist flick to see the Apple Watch that I can not seem to turn off!
    Didn't know it till I wore another watch?

7. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I wear my original Pebble most days because of the battery life. I like glancing at my watch before deciding if I should pull out my phone to respond to a text. Yesterday my son sent me a text when my phone was in my jacket pocket. It was a text that needed a response sooner than later.

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I really enjoy my Apple watch, and the haptics are nice. I find the watch very useful, and have sold off all my other watches, except the one I was given as a gift.

9. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I have a Fenix 3 and it has been solid for more than a year that I've own it. I used it as my running / cycling / hiking / travel watch, and wear it in my watch rotation from time to time. It has more training and logging function than I need, but I am probably going to keep it until it breaks. Or unless Fenix 6 or 7 has major break through in size, battery life or external sensor support. :D

Garmin has other smaller fitness tracker that's smaller and with notification function. And a bigger screen for more info than a basic Fitbit. You can look into that.

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the information!

How long does the Fenix 3 go between charging cycles?

11. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this has been answered but Garmin says the Fenix 3 will go 6 weeks in watch mode before needing to be recharged. I haven't worn mine in about a month and the battery was within a few percentage of what it was. If you use it all the time to change faces and check your steps and calories and notifications it will drain but not super fast I normally go about three to four weeks to get under 30% then I'll recharge it.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Is 30% the threshold that Garmin suggests for recharging? That seems to be kind if high. My older devices had a threshold at 20%; my newer ones only alert for recharging now at 10%. At least modern battery technology doesn't have the nasty memory effect that NiCd batteries were known for, but I'm not sure that recharging so soon is any good for even LiMH (Lithium Metal Hydride) batteries...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Pavetski likes this.
  13. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I normally recharge around 30 or 20% I haven't let it go down less that 20% much so I'm not 100% sure where it says to recharge but I think it is 15% below 10% you can't use the exercising apps because of the GPS drain.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I kind of laughed at the Apple Watch when it came out, but it's been a godsend since I switched jobs. I'm at 3-4 regularly scheduled meetings per day in a fast paced environment where it's not safe/practical to be digging my phone out of my pocket all the time, even if I could hear it. Works superbly for me with alarms/reminders and quick text indicators.

It's kind of funny that some of my co-workers won't wear them to work, but it's just a tool (albeit a costly one) and not a sacred cow for me. I got a deal for my wife and myself on a couple of buyer-remorse watches, and work is the whole reason I wanted it, so...yeah.

TKC and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I can get just over 48 hours with light use on the Apple Watch.

I know some friends in the medical field that are forbidden from using their phone in certain parts of the hospital, however the watch is allowed. The Apple Watch is very popular among their co-workers.

16. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I scoffed at the idea of the Apple Watch when it first came out. But recently seeing people with smart watches got my interest. I then got a cheap Fitbit copy and got hooked.

Last week I purchased a Apple Watch Series 1 and I love it. I work in a college with 18-18 year olds in learning Support. I can keep my phone on and due to personal issues I need to be contactable 24/7. I've permission to keep my phone on and take personal calls. But the Apple Watch is so much more discrete. I can text from it which is great too.

TKC likes this.