1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smart & practical laptop bag / briefcase

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Niloticus1, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Niloticus1

Niloticus1 Loaded Pockets

Hi Folks,

I'm based in UK and I'm looking to replace an old Musto Navigator case (10 yrs plus of daily use) with a smart (I normally have to wear a suit) but practical case. I rarely carry a laptop but it will need to be able to handle a full sized 13" laptop. I usually carry papers, tablet, water, small torch, umbrella (it's UK...), gloves and a gadget bag with charger, earphones and small power pack.

The great thing about my current case is that it can be expanded if I need to fit parcels or shopping in but the new model is much smaller and doesn't expand.

I really like the new Orvis Safe Passage bag, particularly as it has an external pouch I can stick a wet umbrella in (and it's readily available). Happy to compromise on the expansion as water and brolly can ride on the outside.

I'd be interested in people's suggestions for alternatives, let's put budget at $200 and preferably sourced within UK/Europe (but happy to consider other options if really good).

I should add that I am something of a luggage fetishist.. I like to use role specific bags, particularly for my daily commute. I have an array of other bags for business & leisure carry-on and photography, plus sling bags for casual/leisure use so this is purely for commuting in smart clothes. I should add that I have a nicely aged bridle leather briefcase for important meetings.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Assuming non-tactical, vanguard havana? On Amazon (what isn't). I've not got because A)I'm skint B)it's a light colour and I'm not sure it will stay that way C)slowly but surely I'm falling back in love with my timbuk2 messenger.

From pics at least, the vanguard has a better layout for me, a lot less Velcro and external water bottle pockets (some timbuk2 models have the latter). But the timbuk has pretty good albeit limited organisation and is tough as old boots.

I'm in the UK so I know I'm on budget!

3. Niloticus1

Thanks Jim, hadn't heard of the Vanguards, they look really good. The main problem is the colour, I really need something a bit darker for work stuff.

I'd heard of Timbuk2 but had them down as makers of trendy messenger satchels, but the Command and Commute bags seem to be well worth a look.

Cheers!

Dave

Tallboyjim likes this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I definately agree about the colour of the vanguard - spec wise it ticks every box for me, apart from the colour which would look awful in a week.

5. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip off on the Vanguard Havana series. I am looking into them now. perhaps they can take a dye job? FDE would be a great option.

I just switched from my 5.11 Rush Delivery Mike (medium messenger bag) to my 5.11 Rush 10 sling bag so that I can carry my Chromebook and my SLR. Yes, they are very "Tactical" looking and I don't travel out of the states with them. I like the idea of the Vanguard bags, as I want to carry camera equipment as well as my notebook.

Off to shop!

Norseman likes this.
  6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I do see they have Havanas in a navy blue...

7. Niloticus1

Good spot! Can't seem to find the 38 in blue though :-(.

Cheers

Dave

8. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

They have the 36 in blue...

9. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 makes nice stuff with a range of "formality" depending on standards etc. Might look a touch casual with a suit, but carried by so many people in the states, no one would raise an eyebrow here. A great brand for business carry is Briggs and Riley - easily on par with Tumi, better priced, great guarantee and defintiely works with a suit.

Niloticus1 likes this.
  10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Pilot or Peak Designs bags?

Niloticus1 likes this.
  11. Niloticus1

I haven't looked at Peak Designs (will do so now) but the Tom Bihn feels like a bit of a gamble as I can't look at one in the flesh first. I had a look at the website and very much like the look (and reputation) of their stuff though.

12. Niloticus1

Yes that was the one I found but it's a bit small I think. Will try and get to a camera shop at lunch today if possible.

13. Niloticus1

Good call in terms of quality and rep but a bit too conservative perhaps!

Cheers

14. Niloticus1

Well this is turning into an interesting journey....

I started looking at the Booq Saddle Pro (from a review found elsewhere) but the price and some complaints about CS turned me off of a product that would have to be bought sight unseen.

From the good feedback and suggestions on here, I looked at the Peak Designs Messenger but again, the price put me off, plus the absence of bottle pockets and that finicky catch.

I found a 15" messenger from Aussie firm STM, the Trust 15, which looks like a potential candidate but difficult to source in UK (particularly when the Charcoal version is nearly twice the price of the olive green one!).

And now I've found a Tenba DNA Messenger in both 13 and 15" variants. This one looks as though it ticks all the boxes AND I can even go and look at a sample in a bricks and mortar camera store, plus it seems to get very positive reviews from plenty of owners.

The journey continues... :)

Tallboyjim likes this.