1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smallest Titanium Connectors for Keychain Use

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by jag-engr, Feb 22, 2016.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I am looking for the smallest possible titanium connectors for a keychain system.

I have some Cogent Industries Hook-Up clips and they come with some 5/8" I.D. titanium split rings. Is anyone aware of a source of smaller titanium split rings?

Alternately, I would be interested in some small titanium master links, if such a thing exists. Perhaps my Google Fu is just weak, but all the ones that I am finding are titanium nitride coated or just have the word titanium in the name.

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I think you'll have a difficult task finding titanium master links, chains are supposed to be strong and steel simply has titanium beat by a long shot there... not to mention price. For niche purposes they do exist (iirc tsubaki makes these for some highly corrosive environments) but finding a supplier that is willing to sell these in low volume and has master links (if those even exist) will be tough.

Split rings are one of those things that's also better in steel than in titanium. Why do they have to be titanium if you dont mind me asking, jsut for aesthetics/ease of mind?

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Probably true.

I guess they don't need to be titanium. I was just wondering if it was possible. I was just wondering if I could do it, but you're probably right - not worth messing with.

4. dandan

dandan Empty Pockets

You could try some stainless steel split rings from a fishing shop , or ships chandlers.
    Something that is non corroding , also try a quality builders merchants or tool shop.

A model maker shop may also have some 'connectors' for keyrings.

Just my 2 cents worth.

5. 4rmless
    • In Omnia Paratus

4rmless Loaded Pockets

jag-engr Maybe try hitting up Patrick Ober as he makes Ti Chainmail and all sorts, would probably knock you out a few links easily.

jag-engr likes this.
  6. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Not sure what size your looking for.

If you need small (<.5cm) split rings I'd look into titanium fishing split rings. There has to be someone out there with titanium split rings on a lure lol

7. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

Not sure if you're still looking; I've purchased these on Amazon and they are probably the smallest titanium split rings you'll find

Search Amazon for "10pcs Titanium Ti Matte Key Chain Key Ring Split Ring Size S 10mm 0.4"

(you know how small the Cogent clips are.... these are tiny.)

[​IMG]

Eskerbillion and jag-engr like this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Thanks, Linwood!

Those are the smallest proper titanium split ring I have ever seen! There are titanium split rings with about a half circle of overlap that are marketed to fishermen as "lure savers", as they will release a snagged hook, but they are not proper split rings like these.

Lorenzo likes this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As an update, I got the 10mm split rings that Linwood recommended, and they work great! They are the perfect size to go with the Cogent Hookups.

10. Linwood

Linwood Loaded Pockets

Glad they worked out. Kinda lucked into those as they don't show up on simple google searches. I've been honing my Google-fu!

11. Keanu Chee

Keanu Chee Empty Pockets

Haha, I also own the Cogent Industries hook up click and was looking for small titanium split ring. I ended purchase Swiss Army knife 58mm split ring. Just few days ago.still waiting it to be shipped from US to Singapore

Last edited by Keanu Chee, Mar 25, 2016
  12. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

Size for size, is a titanium split ring stronger than a steel one?

Here is why I a asking:A while back, I lost an expensive AA flashlight because the small split ring that I had used to attach it to a lanyard – which was tied to my belt -gave way and pulled open. I had used a ring that size because the attachment hole in the flashlight was tiny and that was all that would fit through.

I now have another light with the same “problem.” Looks like one of those 10 mm Ti rings mentioned above would fit, but would it be any stronger?

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

No. Despite what everyone seems to think, steel is stronger than titanium. Titanium is almost as strong as steel, but lighter, more corrosion resistant, and non-magnetic.

In such an instance, I would consider improvising another type of attachment point, such as o-rings or a piece of paracord with a butterfly knot attached to the flashlight with a constrictor knot.

Particleman likes this.