1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smallest robust key chain flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Garnett, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Matt2silver

Matt2silver Loaded Pockets

I really like the Thurnite Ti3. It's about as big as your ring finger in length and diameter (70mm X 14mm) so it's really easy to slip in a pocket or attach to a key chain. It has 3 + 1 brightness modes (Firefly = .04 lumens, low=12 lumens, high=120 lumens, hidden strobe 120 lumens), it runs of a standard AAA battery, it tail stands, it comes in cool white or neutral white, and it has a pocket clip!

What's more, it only costs 20 dollars shipped and is covered by ThruNite's lifetime warranty (I've used their warranty before and was very pleased with the service I received.)

It also has a glass lens, (most of the smaller fenix lights use plastic) and the body is made from type 3 hard anodized aluminum which means that it can take a beating and still look awesome; mine has bounced around in my pocket every day for the last six months with a vic super tinker and miscellaneous other junk and you can hardly even tell that it has been used. It's also went through the washing machine, been thrown in with a sink full of dishes, and dropped from a ladder. It's really a well built, tuff little light, and for the price and features it can't be beat.

I suggest getting the natural white version as the color is better, (the cool white version has a slight blue/purple tint to it), and I'd also suggest picking up some AAA eneloops so that you don't have to keep buying batteries.

LordByron, READYSETGO and MrOG like this.
  2. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

I have been EDC the Ti3 in coin pocket of jeans. Love it!

Just received the new EagTac D25AAA for $10 more. Size is almost identical with the D25AAA being just a little shorter. Love the added magnet and increased lumens. Hate the non-removable clip on the EagTac, but doesn't seem to bother as I carry it. Opportunity to run with 10440 is a nice option I'm exploring.

I am eyeing picking up the ThruNite Ti Christmas for $29.99 as a third option to EDC. Will rotate the three depending on mood.

LordByron likes this.
  3. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

Here is a comparison pic.

Knurling on Ti3 versus smooth D25 I like smooth better in pocket. Still not convinced on pocket clip.

Sent while talking on HTC1

4. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sent while talking on HTC1

5. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

[[​IMG]

Sent while talking on HTC1!

6. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]

I bought the blue D25AAA!

Sent while talking on HTC1!

7. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

I cast my vote for Fenix E01 for AAA's and Nanolight Streamlight if you wan't to go even smaller.

sungame and quickster47 like this.
  8. Invictus

Invictus Loaded Pockets

^same here. Depends how big a flashlight you want on your keychain. I have been carrying the Nano on it for over two years now...not a single hickup despite I drop my keys like crazy all the time.

Tornado likes this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Had both E01 and Nano in my keychain for a long time, until E01 was replaced by Thrunite Ti3 to have few different outputs. All three lights are still going strong and so far without any hickups.

10. keith6

keith6 Loaded Pockets

go to Valeno Designs and just buy one. well built and you won't believe how bright!

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always view a keychain light as a "tool of last resort" - as such, I use the E01 for the absurd potting of the LED. If I think I need something more versatile, I'll throw something extra in my pocket, in addition to the E01.

keith1234 and sungame like this.
  12. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

My experience is Fenix E01 is good. I had it on my keys, over 3 years... till now it still works... People say E01 is bombproof. I think they really are.

keith1234 likes this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is honestly the single strongest endorsement of the E01 over other possible choices. Fenix uses an absurd amount of potting to secure the electronics - so much so that the E01 is almost infamous for the inability to easily mod the light.

Between that and the price, I'll take a horrible beam profile and ugly tint for freaking near indestructibility and a great runtime (balanced against output).

hal_chase likes this.
  14. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I think the Peak Eiger compares favorably with the Fenix E01 in most features, except price.

MrOG and jrandom like this.
  15. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Adding on to that... if you take care and use good quality batteries on your E01, the battery should last really long. Im using lithium AAA on my E01. It doesnt leak, and the battery had been inside over a year, not depleted.

16. ajwilson

ajwilson Loaded Pockets

I use my Beta QR daily. The moonlight mode in the copper version is a tad bright but the form factor (and patina) is too good to not carry.

jrandom likes this.
  17. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Peak makes some really nice lights, that brass Eiger Ultra is sweet. :)

Man that is a beautiful little light! I am all about the copper lights, I have a Maratac AAA rev2 in copper and love it.

18. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'm not the OP but this thread wound up getting me to buy two Fenix E01s to keep in my ammo cans' top compartment. Thanks guys, I think... Lol

EXCALIBUR and tmedina like this.
  19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Buy a lithium AAA battery for your E01s and then forget about them.

GatorMedic likes this.
  20. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Already have packages of lithiums ready to be thrown in :) I quickly switched to lithiums after my first few days wandering in this section lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmedina likes this.