1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smallest lighter for keychain carry

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by smokelaw1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

OK, judging from what I found via search and a google search, I think I know my options, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Right now, I carry a bic in a custom sheath on my keychain. It comes in handy, I like having it, and I love that it doesn't evaporate...same bic has been there for a few years. It is, however, slightlyu bulkier than I would wish for keychain carry. I want smaller! I saw the peanut, but have heard that they are more prone to evaporation, like a zippo. That will not do for me. This lighter is an occassional use item for me, and MUST hold a charge for months or longer.

Anyone? SMALL, long lasting-charge, keychain compatible lighters? Price is not really a concern.

2. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

The Peanut lighters are the smallest I have seen that are worth carrying. I got the $10 Stainless version, that is a little heavy. The $5 version might be worth a shot.

Peanut Lighter

3. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the input.

Do you find that it loses its fuel to evaporation quickly?

4. ADK031

ADK031 Loaded Pockets

Have you seen this one? Check out goinggear.com and check out containers. I tried to link but it wouldn't work.

5. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

That seems similar to the peanut. I'll check it out...thanks.

6. jojobos

jojobos Loaded Pockets

I carry ss peanut lighter from countrycomm on my keychain. I like it.

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have a peanut. Like it, but as you said--it lost its fuel after too short of time. Surprised me a bit, as I thought the o-rings would alleviate that.

8. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

Dealextreme has a butane lighter the size of a cigarette... actually looks like a cigarette. It looks like it would need to be modified for a keychain, probably doesn't hold much butane, but only costs $1.50 with shipping.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Try a "Permanent Match". It's an old design where the wick is on a removeable striker. You pull out the 'match', strike it along an imbedded flint, the wick catches the flame, and you use the 'match' like you would a normal match until it runs out of fuel. When you're done or it goes out, you put it back into the tiny flask to resaturate the wick. The match itself screws in (I think), and there is an O-ring seal to prevent fuel evaporation.

You can get them fairly cheap on eBay.

10. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Rpuppet, I bought one of DXs cigarette looking lighters, it never worked. I got a new one sent, IT didn't work, so I advise just staying away from them. They're horrible.
    As for the peanut lighters, I got a few way back before DX or CC had them, in a CPF group buy. Mine was filled probably over 2 years now at this point, and still lights on the first strike. I don't know if the newer ones have cheesy O-rings or what, but I don't think you'll get a better lighter for the size.
    Every butane seems to crap out on me so far, so reasons unknown to me.

11. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

You can't beat the peanut lighters. Under ideal conditions-waterproof to 100 feet; will light after 3 years in storage. If you buy from ThankyouStan on Ebay, he ships them with heavy duty silicon o-rings which guarantees complete waterproofing of the device and makes fuel evaporation near nil; about $12 with shipping, but if you are true EDC-er ;) you know it's worth the extra cost.

12. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I have a thin butane lighters from DX, like this one only in black. I find it easier to carry in a back-pocket than the peanut because its so thin.

However, DX don't seem to do them any more.

I found the o-ring on the peanut went missing quickly, but I replaced it with a different one and it's been OK since. It's quite fiddly to use. You have to unscrew it, then spin the tiny wheel, which would be hard to do if your hands were cold (ie, when you needed it most). Also, mine usually takes several attempts to light.