1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smallest durable smart phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Jdunn93, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Jdunn93

Jdunn93 Empty Pockets

Anyone know of a small durable smart phone? Looking for something with smart phone capability but smaller than an iPhone.. Don't want to lug anything big around!

Thanks for your help guys! By the way I do believe this is my first post! :)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Greetings! The smallest smart phone I know of is the Motorola Defy XT. It's truly tiny by smartphone standards and water/dust proof. It's also slow and a bit outdated but truly affordable. I'm not even sure it's still in the lineup but would surely be available on the secondary market.

But you really shouldn't take my word for it, I carry two dumb phones. Perhaps because I'm twice as stupid! :p

As this is your first post, I would warn you about this place sucking money away from you but you're already looking at buying new gear. :)

hunter s gatherer and VTAERO like this.
  3. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

iphones are some of the smallest smartphones out.

atilano and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Welcome and we look forward to many more posts from you! :)

Which cell service are you on? There are some service specific phones that may fit your needs as well.

5. Jdunn93

Jdunn93 Empty Pockets

Thanks for the welcoming guys! Yeah I'm gonna be blowing some money soon on some new gear! I go through verizon for the time being.. They seem to have the best coverage to me. I'm not afraid to switch services though if they have decent coverage. I may not look into it too much though.. I just got on as a corrections officer at our county jail and I think one of my friends said we can't carry are phones--or much of anything for that matter in the jail, which is understandable--so I'll have to look into our policies.

6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Check out this phone. I have a buddy who has one and swears by it!

CASIO G’zOne Commando® 4G LTE

Look it up on Verizon's site.

7. Elg

Elg Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it's still in stores, but Sony Xperia Active may be worth a closer look.

8. Jdunn93

Jdunn93 Empty Pockets

I'm digging the Xperia Active! I may have to look into that! I've been checking out the Blackberry bold 9930 as well.. It seems they've fixed a lot of stuff that bother me in my old BB. At the same time, you can't go wrong with an iphone! Ugh, decisions decisions!

9. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I would get whatever's cheapest and use an ipad for the smart stuff as it has the screen real estate. Unless you want a camera and some smartphones are fantastic cameras. You can get beater phones without plans for 20-25$. The mobile phone is a "walkie talkie" just a radio. The smart stuff is so you buy location services and give the companies metadata (and now granular data because we have been groomed to find it acceptible) which they capitalize to make themselves rich rich rich.

I would do the math on getting a smart phone over a dumb one, I mean figure out the annual cost. The new phones might be cheap but you may be committing to over a thousand a year in data. Its a cash cow. Mobile IT is so rich because of over investment in fibre in the mid to late 90s and capitalization of that asset now through all of us smartphone users giving them free data. When we click those "I agree" buttons we are liberating our data and that can lead to network effects that can be capitalized. Then we pay them a grand or more for location services. Its insane the money, a good portion of many incomes and growing.
    But you get a great camera and GPS and mobile social Internet and augmented reality and health tracking and....

Sorry for the rant. It has to do with my history in IT.
    To go with whatever mobile you get you'll need a light or two , a backup light, a knife,or several, a multi tool, or several, a new keychain setup, or several...

10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

You might still be able to find one, but they haven't been in production for a few years. The Active was replaced by the Sony Xperia Go.

I have used one for the last year or so, and in my experience, it is a quite OK smartphone. It is not the fastest one around, but as far as I know, it is faster and more modern than the Motorola Defy. I don't know about the Defy XD, is that a newer model?

The one problem I have been having with mine, is that it is sometimes unable to get a signal where others have no problem. Updating the firmware helped a bit, but I still have this problem from time to time.

The Sony Xperia Go is quite a bit smaller and slimmer than my old iPhone 3G, which makes it a rather small smart phone. It is not shatter proof, but it still seems to handle the occasional bump or drop pretty well. The big plus is that the Xperia Go is totally waterproof. The IPX67 rating means you should be able to submerge it under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes, even though Sony states that actually submerging the phone voids the warranty. And, of course, you have to make sure that the protective covers for micro USB and jack are closed.

I have to say that having a totally waterproof phone is great! Just the other day, I managed to knock over a glass of orange juice and spill all the contents on my phone. No problem, I just rinsed the phone in running water, and I was good to go!

The Xperia Go is also rather cheap for a smartphone, at least here in Norway. I guess Sony has saved a bit on the rather small screen (3.5"), and perhaps on the camera, which is OK, but not great.

All in all, I would say the Xperia Go might be the best "durable" phone out there today. It is not perfect, but it is the best I have been able to find so far.

11. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Phonescoop is your friend. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Iphone and durable do not belong in the same sentence. I have seems screens shatter from being dropped from waist height. How about Samsung Rugby Smart? I'm on ATT and the only rugged phones I can really get are the Rugby line. Sprint is really the carrier you want for tough phones, they kind of tailor to that need unlike any other carrier. It drives me nuts! Also the Samsung Galaxy Active.

13. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

But in no way 'durable'...

14. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Just get a good case.

15. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Then they are no longer small!

16. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Those older phones people are posting are quite thick also

17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

No Evil, you can't be an Apple Fanboi!!! I had hope when I found out you were shooting with a Nikon, but you just killed it. ;)

Everyone knows you never go full Apple. You went full Apple. You never go full Apple. :frantic:

18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Check out the Droid RZR M. Quite small. Gorilla glass. Kevlar case. Water resistant (internals have been treated). I flogged mine for two years with nary a problem.

19. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Pentax>Nikon

20. Koto

Koto Loaded Pockets

Check out the HTC Desire 200. Just a bit larger than a credit card. All the usual smartphone apps, comes in black or white. About 100 unlocked.