1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Smaller Aluminium G-Hook

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Ross2187, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

*Also posted in Bags for exposure.

Hey guys,

Once I go down a path, I go down deep.. So wife and I are big fans of Bedrock Sandals, (look em up!) and the co-owner has this great basic Timex on a self-made nylon wristband, with a g-hook. I'm desperate for one of my own! I've contacted them several times to see if they will make me one, but it's not on their radar at the moment.

So I'm determined to make my own watchband similar to this guys. So here's the deal, the lugs come in at 18mm wide on the watch, and I've analyzed videos and pictures involving this band till the cows come home. CS from Bedrock tell me that the webbing used is from several years ago from their stock, I surmise that due to the spacing on the watch that it is in the 15-17mm area, so I've ordered a few pieces of webbing in this size.

The place that I'm stuck at is the G-Hook. I've attached a picture below. There are a few G-hooks available on Amazon and Ebay, that all of you have probably seen but they all come in at 25mm, and bear the name "LuckStone" across them. I've bought them for the process of making a proof of concept.

See the hooks here: https://www.amazon.com/Homyl-Webbing-Buckle-Accessories-Lightweight/dp/B07CDCZ2MG/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1524621194&sr=8-17&keywords=g-hook

Now I know things like the Sea To Summit straps have smaller, and even smaller G-hooks, but that seems to be the only place I can find them smaller than 25mm. But why can't I seem to find a source for a variety of sizes? I'm looking for a few like the one in the watchband pictured below. Possibly at 16-18mm, in aluminum. I wildly appreciate any and all help!

*Side note, I'm very well aware of the ITW G-Hook, and have a few on my TAD Litespeed. That's not what I'm looking for here.

[​IMG]IMG_1658[/url] by rb2187, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]IMG_1658 by rb2187, on Flickr

[​IMG]Image-1 by rb2187, on Flickr

#1 Ross2187, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I went out today and bought a digital caliper from HF today, been dying to for years and boy is it delightful! I got to measuring my watch straps and 1mm thick seems to be the ticket.

So, does anyone have any intel on where I can locate 15 - 18mm wide webbing that's 1mm or so thick? I've been scrounging the internets and there is so much webbing available out there!!

3. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

1 mm is thin but not uncommon. I checked my gear locker. All of the quality gear used 2mm. The freebies that I have accumulated over the years have 1mm straps. Try sewing notions sites or the notions dept at Wally's world, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

5. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

Seek Outside has "bachelor buckles" that look like this, but in black [https://seekoutside.com/bachelor-buckles-set-of-4/]. The description says they work for 3/4in webbing, which is 19mm.

6. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Ha!! Thanks!! I 'll definitely give those a try!! And I think strapworks does have some things that will work, this project is going places!

7. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I love the look of that watch strap, a couple of my new bags have G hooks on them and they seem a great idea.

8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I like the look too, but unfortunately won't work with my puny girly wrists.

sent from your mamma's house

Journo likes this.
  9. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

You will have to keep us updated on this project

sent from your mamma's house

Ross2187 likes this.