1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small windows tablet?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jzmtl, Nov 18, 2014.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

So there's a Lenovo mixx 2 8" tablet that's on sale, refurbished model for $160 and I'm quite tempted to pick one up.

The hardware seems could just handle windows 8.1. Intel atom z3740 1.3G quad core, 2GB RAM and 32GB storage (will take micro sd). Resolution is low at 1280x800. But I have reservation about this small of a screen being useful especially with full blown win 8 OS. What I see on a 21" monitor crammed into a 8" display seems like a disaster, and the office 2013 that came with it would be essentially useless especially after on screen keyboard pops up.

Any thoughts/experiences with these 8" tablet running win 8?

2. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Most user reveiws are favorable. There are a number of bluetooth keyboards that will work with the Mixx 2.

You will not be able to work on Windows side by side as you might be used to working. However one can have Windows stacked on top of another Window app and one can toggle between multiple apps. If you have an Office 365 subscription you can use the Office apps for a tablet just by downloading the Office app.

3. IgwanaRob
    • In Omnia Paratus

IgwanaRob Loaded Pockets

If you want a full blown Windows tab (not the stripped down tablet version), check out MSI's Windpad. I have the older 110w running Win7 Enterprise and it's great. Although it's heavier than an Android tab, it handles everything I throw at it. It has HDMI out and bluetooth so using it on a bigger screen is easy, and I have several games installed via Steam. Newer version is running Win8. Only thing I didn't like was the slow mSATA drive, but it was easily replaced ;).

msi.com/product/windpad/

dml24 likes this.
  4. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

screw it, I just bought one, should be here tomorrow. It's cheap enough that even if it's a dud I won't be too sad about it.

dml24 likes this.
  5. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

So far I like it a lot. I think a full feature windows 8 tablet makes a lot of sense, more so than android or ios. The display sucks compare to ipad mini and build quality doesn't come close either, but neither is the price.

I prefer it over both android and ios. You bought it, it's yours to do as you wish, or screw up if that's your choice. No more :censored: with rooting, factory crippled OS and restrictions, can't put app on SD card (SD card simply shows up as another hard drive). App selection sucks and many don't work, but I have my phone for that, plus it's actual windows and you can install everything you've ever installed on your desktop (games probably won't work unless you connect a physical keyboard/mouse).

I'm sticking with windows tablet from now on.

And as far as 8" version is concerned, hope you have slender fingertips.

6. IgwanaRob
    • In Omnia Paratus

IgwanaRob Loaded Pockets

Cool, hope it lasts as long as you need it to :cool:

Looks like it sold out on the Lenovo site, good thing, as I can't really afford any more toys right now :p

7. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Oh and if anyone ever buys a windows tablet, get 64 G minimum, never 32, just take my word on it.