1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

small vic blade usefulness?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by billybeans, Mar 21, 2013.

1. billybeans

billybeans Loaded Pockets

wandering if i can get away with just a small vic like a midnight manager or rambler. i havent had a classic since i was a kid. i have a mut (which by the way is quiet heavy) and am looking for something much smaller and lighter.

how useful is the blade on one?

2. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ideal for opening mail and Quick light duty cutting tasks..

Peeling an apple. Take a pioneer..

Wootz likes this.
  3. k.o.milo

k.o.milo Loaded Pockets

Get a Skeletool CX ;)

4. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I've always felt the 58mm blades were too small to be useful for everyday use.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, check out the Vic Executive, or any other 74mm model. (There aren't many!) The Exec gives me two blades, one big enough to halve an apple (well, by going around all the way, but it works!) and a small one the same size as the Classic, good for detail work.

billybeans, Wootz and Ludwell01 like this.
  5. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Like Gryffin says 58mm is too short a blade to comfortably slice an apple -for me cutting an apple is the test for a main blade for EDC.

still love my Rambler though :)

Wootz likes this.
  6. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of small blades, but the 58s are too small to be totally useful, IME.

I have not tried a 74, but people seem to like them. For me, 84s are the ideal balance of size/weight/etc. I'd recommend trying a Cadet.

Wootz likes this.
  7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Only problem with the 84's is, no toothpick or tweezers. Kind of a deal breaker for me, but maybe not for others.

8. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Executive have one in my pocket right now. The small second blade on the Executive is about the same size as the 58mm blade, and the larger blade is much more useful, as are the scissors and file. I've tried a few of the 58mm, and I can certainly see why people like them, but its a size that never sticks for me.

Wootz likes this.
  9. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

There are several 84mm Vic's with T&T, just not alox models. I agree with the need for more than just a 58mm blade for most uses.

10. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

They aren't very common, though, and most of the non-ALOX ones don't seem to have keychain attachments. 74mm seems to be the sweet spot: big enough to be useful, not too big to hang on the keychain.

11. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

12. junkbin

junkbin Loaded Pockets

My problem with anything but the 58s are that I LOVE the small FULL Phillips. It is perfect for so many electric assembly/dis-assembly task. I wish they had something similar on a 74.

billybeans, Wootz and stax like this.
  13. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Not quite the same as the Rambler Phillips, but the nail file on the Exec works in a lot of small to medium Phillips heads, and the straight screwdriver tip of the orange peeler (which it think of as a box opener) is really well sized.

Ludwell01, Wootz and stax like this.
  14. stressmaster5000

stressmaster5000 Loaded Pockets

You may not be aware of it but Wenger makes a 75mm knife called the VIP and it really has a decent sized blade but is not overly large. Same basic knife as the Esquire but larger. This photo does not have any scale to it so it is hard to tell. Both knives are VIP models. I will have to take a comparison photo showing a VIP and an Esquire.
    [​IMG]

15. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

The small blades on the 58mm line are great penknives. Small enough to fly under the radar, and large enough to open a box or package, cut string and paracord, and do everything else a small blade is meant to do. It is great for detail work. It only really sucks at food prep and self defense.

The 74mm line is also very good, albeit limited. The Ambassador is essentially a larger Classic. The Executive adds a large, truly crosscut nail file (in place of the smaller, pebbled one), a pen blade smaller than the Classic's, and an "orange peeler" that serves as a small, blunt serrated blade. Wonderful for opening clam packs.

I'd heard that Wenger produced a 75mm model, but never seen one until I saw the above pic. I like their 65mm esquire a great deal; the scales (to me) feel better than Vic's, for some reason. And the blade opens away from the keychain, which is a blessing.

That said, my favorite SAK is a Classic, and usually gets the brunt of my dirty chores. My translucent blue Classic has been kicking around my keychain or pocket for most of a decade, and, despite recently changing the scissor spring, is still going strong.