1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small vehicle remote?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by powernoodle, Feb 27, 2013.

1. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

And by that I mean a small remote - not a small vehicle. :)

I drive a Chevy Suburban that has a standard GM door remote. But the remote is too dang big, and takes up too much space in my pocket. I need more space for EDC gear!

So, are there any small aftermarket remotes for GM vehicles? My search has not uncovered any, but maybe you guyses are aware of one. Thanks. I would stop using the remote altogether in order to save space, but I have to carry it in order to bypass the theft alarm.

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Not that I know of.

Saving Pocket Space....

I'd like to suggest putting yer remote on yer cell phone holster.
    Take it to the nearest shoe repair shop & have them install a small grommet, on the front leading edge.
    (Not on the actual front where the 'flap' comes over; on the front "edge" just in front of where your belt goes thru.)
    Use a Chicago screw, add silicone so it doesn't come unthreaded & fall off.
    Put it on with the 'buttons' facing back toward the pouch; not the front.
    No false triggers.
    Leave it loose enough for it to pivot out, push the button, let it go.

Has worked well for me, for over a year.
    By placing it along the front leading edge (or the back edge,if you'd prefer) it blends in with the holster....doesn't stick out like a sore thumb...no buttons visible.
    Instantly accessible.

Can mail you a Chicago screw if that'll help, B'rer p'noodle.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

Something to consider, Mr. Gnarly, but I carry a dang big Samsung SII Skyrocket in an Otterbox Defender belt holster - which adds even more bulk. Don't think I could integrate my car remote on it, but I like the "outside the box" thinking. Downsizing my phone is on the horizon too, when I'm up for renewal.

It looks like someone would make a small, universal car remote, but it doesn't look like it.

Gnarly likes this.
  4. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

That's a good idea Gnarly. I may have to borrow it. Need a new remote for the wife's car.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Gnarly likes this.
  5. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I hate big vehicle remotes! There's a market for a smaller one and I'll be first in line.

=RedFox= likes this.
  6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I separated my car keys from everything else (except the ResQMe and a MicroSD reader)

[​IMG]
    it keeps it a bit more manageable for me. (Did the same thing with my wife's keys and remote.)

Gnarly likes this.
  7. collierar

collierar Empty Pockets

I have an aftermarket remote start with lock and unlock on it. Way smaller. Then they install a bypass underneath the dash so you don't need your original fob. Plus now I have remote start. $300 installed at a local car stereo shop

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

powerring likes this.
  8. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

I currently drive a 2001 Honda CRV, just a "normal" key. I have gone through a lot of experimentation to keep my keychain as small as I can and feel it is finally "almost" perfect for me. (I say almost because I just know there'll be another change around the next corner :rolleyes: )
    The car is starting to get to that money-pit point and I recently got a new job. So I'm thinking I'll be ready to get a new car by about July. As I've been pondering this purchase I find I am dreading the possibility that the new car is gonna ruin my "almost" prefect keychain. Stupid I know, but still... :(
    This concerns me so much I've even been considering things like switching off anti-theft stuff and carrying the valet key only.
    Pics and or Links please

powerring likes this.