1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small (under 20l) backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallboyjim, Jun 25, 2019.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

How you getting on with this bag? It's certainly cheaper than the Vanquest I've been looking at.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I’d suggest it won’t be as good as a vanquest by a country mile. That said - annoyingly small bottle pocket aside - it’s doing a decent enough job. Shoulder straps are nice, the main secondary compartment is big enough for letters etc without having to either put it the main compartment or cramming them in a smaller pocket. Zips are fine so far. Hand on heart I’m not sure I’d buy again but it’s doing the fairly specific job I want it do well enough, certainly for the money.

So it’s not vanquest, but it’s not sports direct karimore either.

3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks, all these bags you really need to see/feel in the flesh first before buying hey,....I wish that there were plenty of Vanquest stockists here in the UK, I'd like to check the bag out myself before parting with that amount of money.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

It’s a chunk of change - it’s the same with most bags in the UK, it’s a leap of faith as everything is mail order more or less. With a brand like them (or maxped, 5.11 and the other usual suspects) you’ll be sure of certain things (as much as you can be) zips, stitching but the rest you never know!

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  5. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

I like the Katara 16 quite a bit I've had mine since release, If you haven't already looked at least two decent reviews of it on the tube which give an idea on most aspects of it. Versatility of the strap system was a major factor for me. Not disappointed at all.

6. Ayube

Ayube Empty Pockets

Yep I actually love the Vanquest Katara 16 it is my favourite edc bag...it's the perfect size and although i will most likely not use the single strap system it is a totally functional small edc backpack. This is me coming from a maxpedition edgepeak which is roughly the same volume but single strap...the whole time i was wishing i had that volume but in a backpack style, Maxpedition did come out with one recently called the riftpoint but it still looked too tactical for my liking. The Katara 16 has tactical functionality while still not looking like a straight up tactical bag. The compartments are actually very well organized for admin purposes. As long as you don't overstuff it and keep things in the pack mainly thin, the pack has such a small footprint on the back and does not stick out like a sore thumb lol. Love it. It's well built and i can attest as i have owned many 511 and maxpedition bags as well but most importantly when it is on your back, either it is unreal with how it handles weight distribution because i can put the same contents in the other bags mentioned but it feels much more weighty even with both straps on compared to the vanquest. Now i am looking into integrating some of vanquests FTIM maximizer pouches but for the interior and not to molle on the exterior.

7. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That's got some great features, I prefer what they've done with the straps to convert to a sling bag over Vanquest's method for example. I've never been a fan of attaching extra pouches to the outside of a bag so having a place for a water bottle inside the bag is a plus for me.

9. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

I found out while planning my 20th anniversary trip to Machu Picchu that they have strict backpack size restriction for entering the ruins, and my Rush 12 is too big. The Maxped Typhoon is the perfect size so I ordered a khaki/foliage pack - arrives tomorrow. If you have any questions about the Typhoon let me know. I found a place in Arkansas called LittleCreekTrading.com selling them for $99.65. My shipping was $8. I imagine shipping to UK is about $25-30? Also I recommend to look again at the Rush 12 (although it is 21L) - it is a superb small pack that can fit a lot for a weekend trip and fits in the carry on on most flights. I have multicam and black. RUG-GED. Been hoping that 5.11 would make the Rush 12 in Storm color, because I would buy it again (not that I need it now). Ok good luck and peace.

earthman likes this.
  10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've been misled about the size of this bag, I thought it were smaller than that so I ended up buying the 24 model, just checked the specs and that's rated as a 37L bag, never knew that either.

rr1071 likes this.
  11. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

I just rechecked to make sure I got it right and found that the Rush 12 has two sizes according to the 5.11 website:

The Black/Doubletap/TACOD/Sandstone are 1476 cubic inch / 24 liter total
    The Multicam is 1296 cubic inch / 21.2 liter capacity

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That's a bit odd isn't it?

rr1071 likes this.
  13. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

14. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I wonder if it a mistake on the website. It just seems strange that the pack would have different dimensions just because of the fabric. I think the 24 and 72 have the same volumes as their no-camo siblings...

15. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I saw that too. I have both Rush 12 black and multicam so i’ll try to measure a difference.

16. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets