1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small Refillable Notebooks? Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by panzer, Oct 19, 2009.

1. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I want a smallish (5 x 8 range) notebook that is refillable and maybe has a slot for a pen or two. Want something rugged for field work. Anything else out there besides Rite-in-Rain Kits? They are nice but expensive.

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've found it amazing the lack of smaller refillable notebook options. I've been looking for something even smaller, like the size of a checkbook cover, for years. There are nice planners that would be perfect. Nice leather cover, small/tight spiral bound paper, but they're planners. I just want blank/lined sheets.

Moleskines are a good option, but I don't like that they aren't made really for you to tear the sheets of paper out. I see them more for journaling. You go to Franklin Covey's site, go to accessories, notebooks, and they actuall sell Moleskines. I think they're missing out.

3. BigJackVI

BigJackVI Loaded Pockets

I was looking for this for a long time myself. Filofax has a couple of refillable planners. They also sell blank & lined paper. I went with the "Mini" size, because it fits in a shirt pocket.
    They are a bit pricey, but mine is 2 years old, and is still like new.

Filofax at Amazon

4. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

5. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

Good luck finding what you want. I never did. I take copious notes on index cards and copy paper folded into thirds. I make lots of lists and this lets me have six columns of notes/lists. Then I can just store them in sheet protectors in binders. The paper folded into thirds also fits in the County Comm Tacfolio (easily the best piece of gear I have come across in a long time).- George

6. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

You might want to check out the Levenger and Circa Rollabind systems, etc.

7. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

not sure if this is what you seek but brigade quartermaster has some notebook covers similar to rite in the rain ones but far cheaper,
    they have 4x6 and 3x5" sizes they also have pockets for pens as well, they are called notesafes or something I have had mine for over ten years in all climates and it looks new, I carry the 3x5 daily and it holds a pen and pencil, USB drive, Lock picks and a small FAK as well as a note pad.
    I think it was 5 bucks or something ten years ago

8. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've tried Levenger Circa. Great system, but I find the discs make it kind of bulky. Maybe I should dust it off and give it another try though.

9. nhops

nhops Empty Pockets

Just a heads up - the Circa system is also available (I beleive cheaper) under the Rollabind name...

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Rhodia may have something similar to what you need.

11. nhops

nhops Empty Pockets

12. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Go to a Christian book store. Look in the bible covers. Should be able to find a thin one that will take the 5x8 size notebooks. Will probably be a tad oversized but quite workable and with at least one pen/pencil holder. With a sharp blade and a little care you can cut off any religious tagging that might bother you.

Phil

13. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

It may be too small for your purposes, but I've carried a Levenger "international pocket briefcase" since 1999. After 10 years of daily use (including four deployments to the Balkans and SW Asia) it's starting to show a little wear around the edges, but it's still going strong. The fact that it doubles as a wallet is a major added bonus.

14. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

15. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

Found a 3x5 card holder on the Office Depot site, might be workable. I haven't had a chance to go check it out yet.

16. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

How about a Hipster PDA variation, something with an elastic band to hold a pen ?

17. swlman

swlman Empty Pockets

Been a while sinces I've commented on anything, but small re-fillable notebooks are something I go through a lot of. Finally made my own--sort of. Went to Dollar-Tree and bought a 5 pack of cheap notebooks, approx 3.5 X 4.5. Came home and made a book cover out of duct tape. Now the notebooks have some protection and don't get rubbed/pulled apart from being in your pocket. After reading the previous posts in this thread, I think I'll add a duct tape tube to the side so a Zebra 301 compact can ride with it. For all kinds of duct tape solutions to EDC problems, check out "Instructables.com".

18. greyelm

greyelm Loaded Pockets

19. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Ditto on the Hipster PDA. I made a cover for mine from a manila folder- tucked the cards into the fold (with the scored expansion lines on front) and cut it to fit the cards. Really made it more durable and I glued oft-used info inside the covers (calendar and phone numbers for me).

Its not real weatherproof, but it is cheap and fun. And you could always carry it in a small waterproof bag.

20. Jetpac

Jetpac Loaded Pockets

You are a bad man for linking to that, ive seen it and now i want it, have you got any pictures? does it take a pen?