1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small profile laptop backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by swedishelite22, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Also out of budget, but the Freitag F303 Hazzard is just soo cool.

2. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 always make the list and then falls right off. Be it the design oo the layout of their stuff kills it for me.... Really, same with Arc'Teryx.

I checked both of those brands out when hunting for my last pack before finding Osprey beepi the Cinderella slipper.

@Appel you're killing me with tearst of bags difficult to test drive or out of budget.

I came across the Dakine Factor 22L that checks pretty much all the boxes and comes in at $45 so that may get a test here.

This Targus bag isn't bad in terms of features and functionality, it's just tight in the shoulders/neck and I question the durability... But at $20 it may just be enough to beat the hell out of it and see what happens.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Oct 26, 2018
    #22 swedishelite22, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

Last, less expensive backpack I bought was an Ogio Clark laptop backpack. It is not that comfortable to carry but it suited my needs at that time. The "greenish" one has a nice orange inner liner which makes it easy to find stuff in the bag. I still kind of like it for "office use".

4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of trying something cheap to test a proof of concept. I think it's saved me cash in the long run. Give the targus a weeks test and see how it goes.

5. swedishelite22

This is likely the end result, that or it drives me nuts to the point I go back to my messenger bag until the Evade 2 comes out and kill two birds with one stone.

6. swedishelite22

For those interested/following the story, tthe Targus didn't last. Just too small in the shoulder strap width.

Testing the Mountain Hardwear Folsom 20 now. Decent storage (questionable pocket locations), comfort under load is debatable so far.

FiaOlleDog and Tallboyjim like this.
  7. Tallboyjim

I'm 6'1 (and hefty) and I've only tried a couple of backpacks around the 20ish litre range but neither were comfortable with any kind of weight in them - I took one back in the finish. My bigger 30litre cheapy karrimor and even cheaper high sierra rip rap can carry heavier weights quite easily.

As I said, I haven't tried many smaller packs, and experts and bag aficionados might be able to point to small packs that suit bigger people better but it was a though that crossed my mind.

On the other hand if that's wrong (and it's only my viewpoint with a limited number of bags) , and I note you had an osprey that worked for you in another role, try one that looks the part the best.

swedishelite22 likes this.
  8. swedishelite22

I'm a smaller frame than you, 5'10" but even when Im doing it right I'm still wide in the shoulders and chest which is where I come into issues. So many of the smaller bags have the shoulder straps anchored closer together at the top of the pack which just pinches the neck/shoulder blades and pulls the load down.

Yeah, the osprey is a small pack that carries reallywell, it just doesn't have the organization... Rather the shape works perfect for my original intent with a small profile, but doesn't translate to the work side as well.

I was looking at the 28L version but it's a fairly tall bag which wouldn't work.

Honestly, it's the ball ever actually gets rolling on the A19 Evade 2 that might be the winner. All great upgrades over the original version, a few features I may not use frequently but don't hurt.

#28 swedishelite22, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  9. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

In case anyone considers the Osprey DayLite (not the Plus): packhacker has posted a review on YT.

And you guys are right: the small (up to 20 liters) daypacks are narrow on the shoulders, good for urban and commuting (with limited time and distance), but nothing I would want to carry for a day hike in the mountains ... I use a Deuter Zugspitze 25 (25 liters, for when need to pack additional jacket, etc.) or a Salomon Agile Set 12 (12 liters, only the bare minimum like FAK and some snacks + water) instead. The Salomon Trail 20 and Evasion 25 are on my list - if the before mentioned rucksacks EOL.

BTT:
    Deuter Giga (there a many variants of this) is also a popular choice for laptop-carrying people.
    A more tactical bag would be the Vertx EDC Ready Pack.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Nov 7, 2018
    #29 FiaOlleDog, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    swedishelite22 likes this.
  10. swedishelite22

I just went through researching the Vertx and debated on that or the Evade. I'm 99% on the Evade based on the comments from those who used both on these forums. Now it's a matter of which version.

The Giga is one I have to check into. I looked at Deuter but the Giga is not a model that sounds familiar so I have to cycle back.

11. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have recently bought a Timbuk2 Spire, it is so lowprofile and it carries all the things I need to carry and I think it looks great.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  12. Tallboyjim

I had a timbuk2 messenger and although it had its faults it was built like a tank.

Something else I've seen but don't own is a 16l Thule lithos.

13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Actually you have reminded me, I have a Thule Paramount, which is a good bag too, but a little smaller!