1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small profile laptop backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by swedishelite22, Oct 18, 2018.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

In a nutshell my messenger style bag is great but I find myself compensating the weight/size of the bag in my posture and walking so I'm looking for a traditional style backpack instead.

I really want something minimal and clean looking as it's a professional setting, will be 100% work use. I rarely travel for work but do beibr work home and bounce all over my 500,000 sq ft building so it's a very "essentials" mobile office.

Budget is minimal, $100 ceiling ideal, can go more if I really need to and am open to going used too.

I really really like the Recycled Firefighter 12 hour given its functionality, high vis interior, and slim profile but it only holds a 13" macbook and doesn't have a true admin like section (thouth I would easily overlook this if it would fit my laptop). The bag pretty much checks everything for me except for the laptop size and price.

QUESTION: The 13" MacBook Pro is said to be 12" x 8.4"... My 14" Dell is listed as 13" x 9" ... Anyone confirm if that'll fit?

I need to carry:
    -14-15" laptop (Dell)
    -mouse
    -charging cables
    -padfolio
    -steno pad
    -couple file folders
    -misc (pens, keys, etc)

Water bottle holder ideal but not a must have by any means.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Oct 20, 2018
    #1 swedishelite22, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Fjallraven Kanken Laptop 15" Backpack, a timeless classic that fits right into a professional setting. A little higher at around $90 street price on Amazon.

3. swedishelite22

Thanks for the suggestion. It definitely fits the slim/minimal requirement. The nylon straps and overall design I don't see working though.

ballistic likes this.
  4. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Not sure if Osprey is too "outdoorsy" but maybe it's worth to have a look at the DayLite / DayLite Plus / Axis 18. A 14" laptop fits, but you may want to try a 15" before you buy.

#4 FiaOlleDog, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    swedishelite22 likes this.
  5. swedishelite22

I actually have a Daylite Plus for biking or hauling the family stuff around and thought about using it here too but it is a little too casual for work.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe are fairly straight forward, might be struggling to get it in budget.

7. swedishelite22

I will check them out further. At first glance the venturesafe 15L looks promising. They too losl that the laptop compartment is rated for a 13" MacBook which is frustrating as 1) the whole world doesn't use MacBooks and 2) as such it'd be nice to know true measurements.

The Incase City Compact is another that caught my eye. Good reviews mostly but bag snobs (and I use that term lovingly) tend to list off some cheaper materials (eg small zippers, thin nylon).

Jjb5730, Myrddraal and RED-FIVE like this.
  8. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

9. cnutco

cnutco Loaded Pockets

Following this one. It is tough to get good quality and use for your target bag in that budget, but I am interested.

My current bag for work is a Maxpedition Entity Series: Entity 23 CCW-Enabled Laptop Backpack 23L. Works great so far.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. swedishelite22

Thanks for the suggestions.

The eBags one is too much. When there are that many little pockets and spots to stay stuff, in my experiences, nothing ends you up in a proper home and weighing gets stuffed then lost or forgotten about. With ~6 items + pens to carry it seems like overkill.

The slim fold is interesting. I have one of their wallets and enjoy it. The depth is concerning to me, on a completely personal level. Part of the reason I want to stick with slim (literally) is if I have space to tuck another notebook or file, I will. Then I end up lugging stuff around that o don't need to. The wide depth at the bottom but tapered at the top, to me, also kinda gives the look of a large lunch box. It also means that while the 1.25" depth may be true when empty, it's far from it when loaded with anything really.

Am I close?

11. swedishelite22

12. Tallboyjim

What about The North Face? Maybe a Vault or a new (retro) lineage?

Actually the kabyte looks good as well.

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Oct 20, 2018
    #12 Tallboyjim, Oct 20, 2018
  13. swedishelite22

The Newt 15 looks great but appears to be discontinued.

The Kabyte looks very nice, though the price is hefty.

The Instasafe is similar, though I can see the cost in the materials I guess.

The venturesafe 15 looks good but it's only listed for the 13" mac.

The Victorinox Laptop is nice, though it's hard to tell the size of some pockets given the lack of detail.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Oct 20, 2018
    #13 swedishelite22, Oct 20, 2018
  14. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I love that you mention the RF 12hr as it is my overall most loved bag. I also have the 24hr currently on standby for tactical baby bag deployment in January. The 24hr with either the hook and loop mesh pocket system for the interior or the rigid molle panel insert with pouches might be the perfect solution. It's marginally larger in size than the 12hr. All said and done, more than your intended budget for sure but it's a hell of a system. In black or tan it looks very clean. Rumor has it, he's making a 2.0 that has admin slots in the front vertical pouch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cnutco likes this.
  15. swedishelite22

So I picked up a Jester but will return it as the weight distribution is all off with the front pocket riding so high.

I also found this Targus bag, dirt cheap with ok reviews. I picked it up and am surprised by the space. The material is thin and it won't last a lifetime. I'm debating keeping it as my wide shoulders and chest leave the short straps digging a little.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-15-6-Sport-Backpack/710135137

I actually tried out the Daylite Plus I have for my family day pack and found it get comfortable which was surprising. It's bright red so I'd have to grab a black version for work but was surprised at how well it worked, (good call @FiaOlleDog)

I found a Pacsafe Venturesafe 25L (first gen) and would jump on but ran into confusion. The second gen is listed to hold a 15" laptop, but I've seen some specs on the first gen model that say 13" so I'm hesitant. Can anyone (@Tallboyjim) confirm if this holds a 15" laptop?

[​IMG]

Last edited by swedishelite22, Oct 25, 2018
    #15 swedishelite22, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  16. Tallboyjim

Can't help on that I'm afraid, but pacsafe seemed quite approachable so they might be worth an email.

17. Mrbushhog

Mrbushhog Loaded Pockets

Spec-ops brand slab 2.0 is what my wife uses for her and the kids iPads when we travel.

18. swedishelite22

As an update, the pacsafe laptop sleeve will accept 15" laptops but it's moor padded on the internal side.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Spec-Ops brand but its way to tactical looking for work.

19. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Timbuk2 Division? Nice selection of colors, clean design and can accommodate a 15" laptop. Not exactly slim, but definitely not bulky. They have a discount code for 40% right know which brings it to around 65-70 bucks USD.

I've been eyeing a Arc'Teryx Blade 20 lately but that price...

https://www.timbuk2.com

20. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

The Crumpler Backload 17'' is a very nice backpack. A bit pricey though...