1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small packs that ride lower or are better for big guys?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Chiro75, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for something that is in the size range of a Goruck Echo (which I already own and am looking to sell or trade on the BST forum here currently) but that is designed with longer straps to ride a little lower instead of high on the back. That's my only gripe about the Echo, being 6'0" and 250lbs. The size is GREAT (a little bigger is OK, too) and I love the padded laptop compartment. Perfect carry-on/urban daypack size, but I need something that works for my body shape/preferences a little more. I don't like really low-slung packs, but just something that allows for more adjustability, I suppose.

2. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

That's very interesting. I'm about the same size as you ;) and I have an Echo too(the original version) and the same requirements. Only suggestion is the RadioRuck or the here often recommended 5.11 Rush 12.

3. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I really like the Echo. I'm trying to sell or trade it, but if I end up HAVING to keep it I won't be too sad! LOL

4. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

Same for me. The Echo is a great rucksack.

5. Lemmez

Lemmez Loaded Pockets

I would upgrade to a gr1, especially if your a bigger guy.

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

7. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I have tons of Jandd bags. The lumbar packs, which I've never tried. Just seem too close to the fanny pack for me! LOL

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Being 6'4, I share your pain. One of the things I look for in a pack of any volume is a length of at least 19". I find anything shorter just doesn't work for me. It doesn't carry well and quite frankly looks a little ridiculous. From a fit perspective, adjustable sternum straps and longer straps in general also help.

If cost is not a huge concern, you might want to look hard at TAD Gear. The Fast Pack Lightspeed is a little larger than the Echo (21 Liters versus 16), but it's 22" long versus 16.5". I think it would be a better fit for your torso length.

9. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I have too many awesome packs that cost me well under $125, so it's hard for me to really justify the cost of a lot of the high-end bags, the Goruck notwithstanding.

10. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well then... the RUSH 12 was a good suggestion although I think it's a little small for a guy your size. Camelbak HAWG would be another option. Osprey Comet if you can find one (although it's a little larger). They are discontinued but can still be found on various sites I believe including Moosejaw.

11. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

The Goruck is actually a lot more comfy without the iBook in the laptop pocket. That's like a 1.25" thick stiffener, so taking that out helps.

12. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'1, 240lbs, and the R12 works great for me.

13. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Finding a bag that wears well is much simpler if you go with something other than a tactical pack. Most good non-tactical pack manufacturers give a range of torso lengths for their various packs. For the purpose of defining torso length, it is the measurement between the vertebra in your neck that sticks out when you lean your head forward and the top of your pelvic bones, as measured along your spine. If you have a pack that is too long or too short, it's generally uncomfortable. I am about your size and my torso length is 22", which is on the long side. If you get a tactical pack that has no real structure, a poor (non-weight bearing) or non-existent waist belt, and overload it, you will be uncomfortable sooner or later because all the weight rests on your shoulders. A good pack fit, non-tactical, is one where there is very little weight on the shoulders - the shoulder straps pull the pack tight against the body and provide some friction-type vertical support and all of the weight resting on your pelvic bones. It will end up there anyway, so why not spare your shoulders.

14. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I like the Echo because it IS so structured. It's night and day for me without my laptop in it, so that is a big factor in my comfort. The only time I need to take my laptop with me is on weekends when I'm teaching out of state. Those are short amounts of time actually carrying the bag, so it makes up a lot in its efficiency for those trips.

15. forte

forte Loaded Pockets

The new Mystery Ranch Spartan could be a consideration. Its size is between a Echo and RR.