1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small Pack recommendation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Wilburburns, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Wilburburns

Wilburburns Empty Pockets

I'm in need of a nice pack to carry to and from the ball field. Obviously, there are several options available, but thought some of you may have some good recommendations.

I Coach my daughters Softball team and need to carry the following items. Clipboard, Ipad, Pens, team paperwork, Few Generic First AID items, a Couple Waters/drinks, and possibly a Glove (optional).

I'm open to a small sling pack, or a full backpack, but I don't need anything large. Others have the responsibility of the gear, I just need to carry the paperwork and other book keeping items.

Obviously, cheaper is better, but I like quality. I am very much a dual purpose person, so this pack will likely be used on shorter hiking trips also, which is one of the reasons that the typical sports gear bags are not optimal.

Thanks,
    Cliff

dml24 likes this.
  2. rbent

rbent Loaded Pockets

Opsrey Talon 11.

I've got one in the small/medium size and really like it. I carry a Surface tablet, two notebooks, large first aid kit, other accessories, headlamp, with the occasional coffee mug/water bottle and still have room for more.

3. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Im coach in the Minors AAA ball, what I have found over the years that are key for me...

1. Whatever pack you get, be sure all compartments are zippered (Not a main flap closure), this helps keeps all the dirt out.

2. Drainage hole for your water bottle compartment, especially on hot days where your bottle(s) are going to sweat.

3. I like bags with a separate compartment for the paperwork/clipboard/ipad. (CCW or other flat back compartments are good for this, always check the specs for sizes of this compartment).

4. We normally have First Aid stations at the ball fields, but I also carry my own first aid (First aid is slow, I hate loosing players between innings to first aid issues). I pack everything oversized. Super large bandaids, large gause pads, large antiseptic wipes and antiseptic spray, water bottle just for first aid. I hate fiddling around with small stuff when you only have a minute to clean and protect. Clean and dress the wound in less then 60 seconds, and have the bench pick up all my scraps.

5. A good place to attach a hook. Nothings worse then seeing my bag laying on the floor in the dugout. I use an oversized carabiner... sometimes its the small stuff.

6. This should be number one, but I feel it goes without saying... QUALITY!!!

I feel I found the perfect bag for me, this choice will differ from yours but you have many great options on the market.

4. glockguy110

glockguy110 Loaded Pockets

You can look at the rush 12 or the maxpedition mongo both great bags

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Osprey, North Face, Pantegonia, Kelty, and REI make quality low cost multi purpose packs.
    REI offers the Stoke 19 Pack, REI Trail 25 Pack, REI Full Lode Daypack 32L and REI Traverse 30.
    Kelty has the Redstart 28 Daypack
    Mountain Hardwear Agama 28L
    North Face Borealis Daypack 29L
    Timbuk2 Uptown 33L
    North Face Vault 26L

Most of the above are below $100 and offer great utility for multiple uses.

Have fun shopping, just about everyone here likes that past-time!

6. Wilburburns

Absolutely a Must
    Preferably a pack with 2 mesh pockets on the outside is what I'd like, but willing to look at all options.

Just the info I need. Like I said, the largest item is basically a clipboard slightly larger than an 8.5"x11" piece of paper.
    [qiote]
    4. We normally have First Aid stations at the ball fields, but I also carry my own first aid (First aid is slow, I hate loosing players between innings to first aid issues). I pack everything oversized. Super large bandaids, large gause pads, large antiseptic wipes and antiseptic spray, water bottle just for first aid. I hate fiddling around with small stuff when you only have a minute to clean and protect. Clean and dress the wound in less then 60 seconds, and have the bench pick up all my scraps.

5. A good place to attach a hook. Nothings worse then seeing my bag laying on the floor in the dugout. I use an oversized carabiner... sometimes its the small stuff.
    [/quote]
    Hook for hanging up, or at least a way to attach one, Absolutely..

I had not thought of the oversized first aid items yet, but just last night we had to rustle around and find a bandaid for a player. This took way to much time, especially when youth games are on a time limit. Every second counts..
    Yes, goes without saying..

Thanks,
    Cliff

I feel I found the perfect bag for me, this choice will differ from yours but you have many great options on the market.[/quote]

7. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Again, I would stay away from flap main closure bags. mongo is a nice bag, but your main compartment will be full of dirt after one game on a breezy day. You say its a softball team, that equals even more dirt without the grass infield.

8. glockguy110

Wont the rain cover keep the dirt out I have been in the desert with a jumbo Versipack and never had any problems with sand in my bag ?

9. glockguy110

wouldn't the rain cover in the mongo keep it clean and free of dirt ? I have been in the desert with a jumbo Versipack and I never had any problems with sand getting in my bag and there was some pretty windy days

10. Katjang1

Katjang1 Loaded Pockets

I own a Karrimor SF Sabre Delta 25 liter. It's a discreet looking military pack. Very well made. It's one of my most comfortable packs. Great straps, great padding. Definitely suitable for dayhikes. Not a lot of pockets though. I recommend this pack to anyone!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by Katjang001, on Flickr

Ile likes this.
  11. glockguy110

You can also look at the 511 moab 10

Katjang1 likes this.
  12. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Imagine the desert during a sand storm. 50% of the time, a light breeze will bring the field chalk and dirt into the dugout. I don't need to take mineral supplements during baseball season, I get enough just from the field.

A rain cover is an idea, but I don't have time for it. Who wants to fuss with a rain cover. Working in a dugout is like being a corner man at a fight. You need everything at your disposal and be able to address issues without fumbling around. A rain cover will no doubt end up on the floor.

You might be surprised how much dust and dirt flys around at a ball field. My cloths are filled with dust/dirt after every game and Im not the one playing.

FighterZak and glockguy110 like this.
  13. Wilburburns

K2-Kevin, If you don't mind, what pack do you use.

You are absolutely correct on all the Dust/Dirt issues and also correct about needing everything ASAP.

Cliff

14. glockguy110

Alright thats true I dont coach or even really go to games so I cant really speak on matter I can only talk about my experiences and the rain cover thats attached inside the bag does make it a little inconvenient when trying to get your stuff out in a hurry

15. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I use a sling style bag, all zipper closures, a lot of molle/palls to attach an exterior water bottle holder (I like a separate water bottle holder so I can remove it and rinse it off independently from the rest of the bag). Water bottles and holders tend to collect a lot of dirt that gets sticky/muddy. being able to remove just that component is nice. Forgot to mention that...

For people that don't play ball or work ground level at a baseball field may not understand how dirty it gets. That dirt along with chalk is very light, a lot lighter then sand. Most fields have layers of "Field Dry" and tons of chalk from previous games mixed into the dirt. Even fields prepped with water before a game drys quickly and still ends up blowing around.

16. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Cliff, I have learned my lesson mentioning the packs I own in this forum. Been called names for mentioning certain manufactures.

Its funny how one little booboo on one player can hold up an entire game. We lost an out for batting out of order once, one out won't cost you a game, but the fans get really pissed!!! <grin>

Along with your pack, you should always have assistants in the dugout. Isn't it funny how many people it takes to keep things running smoothly. :)

17. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Check out the First Spear Comm pack. It's not cheap, but it's extremely well made. One of my all time favorite packs.

18. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I use the Kelty Redwing 50 as my EDC pack. 50L capacity allows great flexibility.
    Kelty's smaller packs, the Redstart 28, Kelty Shrike 30L have mesh water bottle pockets on both sides.

A review from another site says this about the Shrike 30L.

The Redwing 50 and the REI Outlook 40 that I use regularly are easily cleaned out for dirt and junk that accumulates in various crannies all packs have.

This being said, if possible find a local store that has some, or if lucky, all the packs you have an interest. Try them on and load them up and see how the comfort and fit works for you. That will aid your purschase decision.

Have fun!

19. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Kelty anything. I would highly recommend the Kelty Peregrine, my current EDC pack. Redtail for something more colorful.

dml24 likes this.
  20. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Did I forget to mention cleaning my dust bag? I never "clean" my bag, but I do blow the crap out of it with air compressor or leaf blower. I just empty some of the contents and go to town with my air compressor, I like to start kinda from the inside out if that makes sense (Hold the nossle from the inside of the main compartment). Then work my way all around it until black looks black once again. Air compressors are great for detailing your car too, blow our those air vents...

Wilburburns and dml24 like this.