1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small Necker - which one? (be nice I'm new)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by fallow, Apr 30, 2009.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There will be a run of them fairly soon. They got delayed a couple of times but they are moving up the production list now. See the Bark River Central section.

2. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

+1 on Les Voorhies. I have one that I bought from someone here. I forget the model without looking at the card that came with it, but it is the scariest SHARP blade I have ever owned. It included a band-aid in the bag......that should tell you something!!!

3. Julian1066

Julian1066 Empty Pockets

I carry the CRKT N.E.C.K. on a black beaded chain. It's a marvellous little blade and I have never used it for ANYTHING whatsoever just in case one day it's called upon for emergency usage.

4. fisherman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

fisherman Empty Pockets

I really like the Emerson La Griffe and a HAK is also good if you can get one.

5. Etowah Edge

Etowah Edge Loaded Pockets

Fallow, Your tool was shipped today. The first one down under as far as I know.
    Thanks again for the order.
    James

6. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

:woohoo:

thanks again james, truly a pleasure doing business. Please keep me updated about any of your further projects.

7. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I just received the Tiger Knapp and it looks and feels awesome. The kydex sheath has 3 eyelets and I want to put paracord through 2 but was sure what knot (my scouting days are long behind me and the only knots I get are the ones I don't want in my tennis shoe strings) is best to go around my neck. Also, where are you guys buying the beaded steel and/or stainless steel chain at? Walmart, craft store, Tandy, hardware? I'll probably post a pic once I have some time to sit down and put it in place and start using it.

8. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

PSK's look great, like a RAT Cutlery RC3, but more rounded and somewhat sleeker. The paracord around the kydex looks pretty neat too. Looks like I'll have to buy a 100ft length, because everything EDC seems to be covered in paracord.

9. Supa

Supa Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest a CRKT Side Hawg 1 for neck carry but it seems you've already decided :laugh:

10. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Hi, for next time around, take a quick look at the Mantis MU-4.

It looks totally non-knife, has a small tanto blade on one end, and a truly useful bottle opener on the other
    As Julian1066 with his CRKT NECK (beautiful!), I am not giving it much daily use, it is a bit on the tactical side, especially if you consider the skeleton holes which give it almost karambit-like holding abilities... perhaps not the best EDC choice but really nice to have around :winkwink:

also, can you post an image of your ewotah tool? thanks

11. AlexSchira

AlexSchira Empty Pockets

The HAK is an interesting option, possibly TOO interesting an option. I sometimes EDC two of them without ever noticing they're there, and I've grown to love the design and innovations, but at the same time it does have drawbacks. It's a brilliant concept, but having a knife custom-fit to your hand...It's great until you're out and about and your buddy taps you to borrow your knife real fast. Unless you have a keychain backup to lend out, you're stuck handing him an unsheathed fixed blade without a handle, that will very rarely fit his hand. It's beyond functional, but I took to carrying a slim little Alox Victorinox because people kept asking to borrow a knife. Fixed blades have that advantage that while they can seem scarier to some, you just hand it over and they don't turn it upside-down trying to figure out how to open it and lock it. I've seen people try to Spyderco flip my Wharcom, find the release button on my Leatherman...With a traditionally shaped necker, you just hand it over and they're good.

12. brj

brj Empty Pockets

my fav neck knives are Spyderco's Swick & SPOT (emphasis on Swick ;) ;D)

[img width=640 height=480]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii108/r_birjo/DSCF0010-6.jpg[/img]

both are superbly engineered tools
    I think the new Swick (sprin run) is still available from www.spyderco.com for only 40 bucks (it comes without a sheath though)

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I always get a little suspicious when people start carrying things on neckchains. (CPF wasn't too happy about me ribbing some guy for wearing a neckchain-mounted flashlight in the shower.) Are your pockets that hard to reach? What unique functionality do you get from a neckchain-mounted knife, besides the potential to gouge your sternum if you fall?

14. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I like the Buck Smidgeon (shinier version of a Hartsook with a better sheath!) for a tiny "knecker" or a Becker Necker for something abit more substantial.

15. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Just making people like you suspicious is probably enough added functionality for most.

16. Devil505

Devil505 Empty Pockets

I love my Hartsook. I carry it and use it every day, multiple times a day. I've had it for 8 months now and it goes everywhere with me. I've also attached a Browning Microblast light to the paracord necklace my Hartsook hangs from. This little microblast 0.5 w led is a nice companion light with the hartsook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Browning-Microblast-AAA-Black_W0QQitemZ380130198150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5881868286&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

side note:
    these 2 items aren't for the big handed fellows.

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

another way of wrapping it.
    [​IMG]

I love my BK11, functional, wicked slicer, opens beer. Nuff said.

18. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I have a CRKT Dogfish. Had to refit the sheath on mine. It was loose. Didn't want it to fall out and stab my stomach. I also added another set of screws to get it tight. Put it in a mercharness and carry it un der my jacket now. Bit small for my mitts, but a great little knife in my opinion.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

If that were actually the case, it wouldn't speak well of the people here, because it would mean the site is predominantly populated by angsty teenagers who shop at Hot Topic and cut themselves to show how "hardcore" they are. I myself do plenty of things that others find suspicious -- my grandfather's rusty WW2 machete in my garage that I use for trimming branches is particularly effective in that regard -- but at least I have a better reason for keeping it around than to disturb my soft-handed suburbanite neighbors.

If the real answer is "I just like having a tool hanging around my neck", that's fine, but until someone tells me that, I'm going to continue to assume there's an actual useful purpose for having it there -- a purpose which, in my 26 years, I have yet to discover on my own. The only people I've ever seen who actually use "neckers" are spies in movies, which is probably a minority group on this site.

20. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I carry a necker every day, and find it a very convenient place to have a knife. I can have a fixed blade without having a belt, or having it deep in a pocket where I cant get it as easy. Once you spend a long time in one cutting chore that requires you to have a small fixed blade in a easy and fast to get spot, you would see it usefulness. But thats just how I have found it.