1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small Multitools

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ailsnail, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ailsnail

ailsnail Empty Pockets

Looking for a better tool than the crossgrip. The plier is no good, doesn't cut.

2. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I really like my Leatherman P4. It's a great tool and it's held up to almost 2 years of daily use.

todd

3. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

I really like the leatherman squirt line, I bought all three and then could never decide which one to carry. I need to learn to sew and make a small three pocket case to carry them all.

4. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I carry all three in my pocket but I need to find a case that will hold them also.

5. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

I kept a couple old laptop bags for the ripstop material, just need to learn to sew or find someone who will custom make. I found someone who does custom work but they use real stiff hard material and I wanted something soft.

6. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I thought about making my own out of leather but I just haven't found the time to break out my leatherworking tools lately.

7. MrSmith

MrSmith Empty Pockets

What is the third squirt? I only know of the S4 and P4? Thanks

8. MrSmith

MrSmith Empty Pockets

9. The Closer

The Closer Loaded Pockets

Sad to say, but I had to give up on the small multi-tools!!! I kept breaking the pliers, scissors, or wire strippers. They are fine for occasional use but, I found they are no replacement for their big brothers.

10. Fignozzle

Fignozzle Empty Pockets

For small multi-tools I'll +1 on the Leatherman Squirt line, P4 is mine. I also own a Gerber Shortcut that is FAR less quality than the Leatherman. Bought it on impulse at Wally World one day, and I gave it to my son. It's a nail-buster to try and open the blades, which seem stamped out of pot metal.
    Buy the Leatherman, whichever flavor best meets your needs.

11. pipedreams

My two year old P4. The finish is beat up, but it works like new!

todd

Attached Files:

12. morituri

morituri Loaded Pockets

I carry the Squirt P4 daily. It's a great little tool that's suitable for a hundred little things.

13. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Greetings everyone!
    I bought a SOG Crosscut online a few days ago. On another forum, members seemed to gravitate towards it bit more than to the Leatherman. We'll see how it goes.

Stay sharp!
    DH

14. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

A jump drive is about the same size as a Leatherman Squirt/Micra, so maybe one of these jump drive cases might work for carrying multiple keychain tools.

15. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

i have a squirt p4 as well, and it is great for how small it is.

if you want something more substantial without going full size check out the leatherman juice line. only the thin ones really are pocketable (i have the s2). it is a bit big for keychain carry (though i did it for 3 years) but all the tools are nicely made and the pliers quite nice. Only downside compared to the squirt is the size and the lack of spring action on the pliers.

16. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

Another vote for the Squirt P4. It was my 2nd Leatherman, and I was blown away by how well it works for its size. And the set of implements is almost ideal, I think. Screwdrivers, a knife, pliers, and a file (2 file cuts, in fact) are possibly the 4 most important tools IMO. It is nice to have scissors, though.

17. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Same here. Also own a PST II and a Wave (not used often), had a Juice but it was stollen. Now the Squirt P4 is on me all the time. Matched it perfectly with a Prybaby XL and an Arc-P AAA on a utility key ring (see photos on the key ring section of this forum).

18. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I often carry a Gerber Shortcut on my keyring, and sometimes carry a LM Micra as a pocket knife in particularly knife-unfriendly areas (Most of Britain, for example!! :crazy2:)
    The Shortcut certainly isnt the prettiest tool out there, but the blade seems pretty strong & the (Fiskars?) scissors are very good.

19. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I had my SOG CrossCut for a few days now. It is just alright. My old Leatherman Squirt is a much higher quality tool. The CrossCut tools don't line up just right, so when you try to close them, they scrap the sides of the handle. The compound leverage is a feature I found useless on a tool this small. Also, I haven't tried cutting anything so thick that I would need compound leverage from a tiny multi-tool. The extra gears from the compound leverage feature also makes the tool longer. Also, I like how the tools of the Squirt are found on the outside when it is closed. The CrossCut, it is found in the inside, so you have to open the tool entirely to get to the other tools inside. I always found that inconvenient.
    On a scale 1 - 10, I will give this tool a 6.

20. pipedreams

That sucks. I was hoping for a glowing review. I'll just stick with the little Leathermans. Thanks.

todd