1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"small" multitools with pliers and pocket clip

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by yenemy, May 22, 2012.

1. yenemy

yenemy Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a more versatile replacement for my pocket knife, and am hoping to find something small/light enough to edc in my jeans pocket alongside my money clip, with pliers, a decent blade, and a pocket clip.

So far the only models I found that match this are the Leatherman Skeletool and its CX variant. I have heard plenty of worrisome reports of the pliers falling apart pretty easily, and generally sub-par build quality. I've looked around for other options, but nothing seems to be out there, so I'm turning to you guys for help!

2. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I've never heard of a Skeletool falling apart, but I cannot say it has never happened. I do not own a Skeletool myself, but I have handled a couple. They are not exactly heavy duty tools, and the pliers are not as rock solid and unyielding as those of for example a full size Swiss Tool. However, I find build quality, fit and finish to be somewhere between good and great. Certainly nothing Leatherman should be ashamed of or you afraid of. The Skeletool is a pocket tool, and IMHO, it looks like the best option out there for that purpose.

Of course, there is also the Juice series, but I have to say that I find the Skeletool way more useful. First, it has a bigger and better knifeblade. It opens from the outside, and you can even open it with one hand. Second, it has Leatherman's large bit driver, which is a great way of cramming more features into a smaller package. Also, the Juices don't have pocket clips, so if you go for one of them, you will have to install an after market clip of some sort.

3. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

Skeletool is great MT. Never left me hanging!!

You can also look at new LM's Wingman and Sidekick (one has pocket clip) also you can buy separate pocket clip for LM Wave, and you'll get that same pocket clip with purchase of Charge models...

Also you can find LM model Sideclip.... It's discontinued model but can be found online...

Also you can get any model of MT without pocket clip and buy NiteIze pocket clip called eCLIPSe... It has adhesive tape on back and I saw it used on Juice, Victorinox and other MT that doesn't have generic pocket clips...

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

According to the Leatherman web site, both the Wingman and Sidekick have pocket clips. However, I think they are a bit heavy for every day pocket carry. The Wave certainly is, IMHO.

On the other hand, one of my relatives EDCs a Wave with pocket clip, and the weight doesn't seem to bother him. I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

5. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

I have a Skeletool that I haven't had for more than a month or two but it works just fine. I've done a few smaller fixes and repairs while carrying it, and for a while I had it in my jeanspocket instead of a knife. I have never felt it was too weak or could break. Turns out the shiny finish of it stood out a bit and I got a few questions about what I had there in my pocket. Something that hasn't happened with knives for quite a few years...

Most of the time I have it in my bag though, and in that kind of role it's a bit limited in tool-selection.

The plier does it's thing. Good fit and "pinch".

The bit-driver is a great thing to have. For me screws are the general EDC-opponent that can't be fixed by my knife.

The knife isn't that great though. I have the half-serrated version and the serration might be useful, but the blade is so small and seem a bit weak longer out on the edge, so I feel it has very little useful cutting edge...might be just me...I've grown to dislike half-serrated edges since they make the blade worse at normal slicing-duty and you might as well have full serration.
    The wingman might have a wider selection of tools, but I think the Charge would have been my choice of tool one step up from the Skeletool. The bitdriver is just too important for me.

6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

@ Argeus: I am generally not a big fan of partly serrated blades either, but I can see how they can be useful on a pocket size MT. On a single purpose knife, I prefer plain edges, but on an MT, i think a serrated blade has its place. However, two different knife blades would have made the Skeletool both thicker and heavier, making it a poorer choice for pocket carry.

As I've stated before, every MT is a compromise between size and weight on one hand and the best possible tools on the other. So is the partially serrated blade, and most definitely the Skeletool.

7. sandman-23

sandman-23 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman wingman has all I need and gets used daily, and paid for itself over several times. Plus its cheap enough to replace. Also you will find the scissors to be really usefull. Been carrying mine for six months now with no buyers regrets.

Last edited by sandman-23, May 22, 2012
  8. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

Yes. I can agree with that.
    The Skeletool is really, really light. As a pocket-carry-tool it really is great and fits very well in the front pocket on my jeans. It does have slightly sharp edges if you try to get something else out of the pocket. But in general it worked just great. I just felt the need to have a better knife in my front pocket and thought about getting a Leatherman Squirt PS4 instead as my pocket-carry-MT paired with my Delica...

Just as an alternative.

But apart from my ongoing experimentation with my pocketcarry, getting on topic, I think the Skeletool is an excellent pockettool if you are thinking of it as your only tool. It brings a useable knife, bitdriver, pliers and a (somewhat weird) bottle opener which in my opinion are all the most important tools. I could probably go through life with only that, I just don't feel like it ;)

9. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I've had my skeletool for a yr now and it does the job. very light, like the bit driver, knife ok, pliers have never given me any problems.. wish they were spring loaded tho.

10. DisrupTer911

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Skeletool CX for about 3-4 years now, basically since they were released.
    I've used it for quite a few tasks probably not meant for it, and the pliers have handled everything I've thrown at it.

I've had 2 iterations of the Skeletool CX, being that I twice lost it, and purchased a replacement, one model w/ the half full/half serrated edge and one with a complete full edge on it.

What I have lost and my biggest gripe is that the spare bit holder compartment is useless for carrying that extra bit. It's just friction holding the bit into the handle while the one bit is in the screwdriver portion.
    I've lost so many bits out the side of the handle its not even funny. I don't even carry an extra one any more, I just keep the 1 flat 1 philiips headed bit in the driver at all times.

If they'd re-engineer that spare holder slot it would be 100% perfect.

11. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Skeletool or its little brother the freestyle should fit your needs quite well. Alternating between the standard and CX models should get you the serrated/plain blade preference covered. Its lighter duty than a wave certainly, but quite capable.The only damage I have managed is breaking off the pocket clip when I got caught on a doorway, which was promptly fixed by warranty. The only danger I see for the health of the pliers is using them as a prybar, as they are thin.

If you are OK with not having the knife on the outside, a kick with pocket clip is quite slim, and has the beefier pliers.

12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I used to EDC a Wave or Charge all the time, and rarely noticed the weight. (Light summer shorts were a problem, of course!)

The Wave weighs 8½ oz.; the Skeletool weighs 5 oz.; the Wingman is 7 oz.

I've been carrying a Wingman daily since it arrived in the mail Saturday, and it's no worse than having one of my larger knives clipped to my pocket.

13. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

I love my Wave but it is really too heavy for most pockets unless you live in jeans.

I always carry mine in a pouch on my belt along with the bit kit. It is a weekend or camping trip EDC otherwise it lives in my Land Rover along with a roll of Duct Tape. With duct tape and a Leatherman you can fix anything!!