1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small MedKits for dogs

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by 1967marti, Jul 24, 2018.

1. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

I have my 2 dogs run vests when we are out hiking or training outdoors. The idea behind this is: 1. If we get separated and someone finds one of my dogs injured, they can provide first aid. 2. If I forget my outdoors medkit, and they happen to get injured, I have everything needed already attached to them for most injuries.

Each kit includes:

2x Large non stick, absorbent pads
    3X Small OEM packs of neosporin
    1x Full roll (15 ft) of 'no chew' vet wrap
    1x Roll of gauze
    6x Gauze pads
    1x Bottle of saline eye wash
    4x Packs of iodine wipe pads
    1x Pair of medical gloves (venom steel brand)
    2x OEM sealed #15 surgical razor blades
    1x Pack of CELOX hemostatic powder
    1x Pair of mosquito hemostats

All packaged in the vacuum sealed bag it weighs in as 3.5oz. Measures in at 4 inches wide, 4 inches tall and just under 1 inch thick. The MOLLE pouch also has a 4-foot soft leash (made from 6mm climbing rope), that can be used to guide the dog as well as a make-shift muzzle if needed.

From the list you can see there is everything there to handle fishing hooks/thorns to deep punctures/cuts that require wound packing. The idea with this is to be able to treat minor issues on the trail, so we can keep on going, or stabilize a more major injury (so he isn't bleeding out) while I carry him out and off to the vet.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Desertratt1322 and Gary Gross like this.
  2. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

I'll be adding a vial of hydrogen peroxide (to induce vomiting) once I can find a good container. I keep a small 4oz bottle of factory sealed peroxide and syringe in my hiking medpack for that. On the trail there isn't too much that you would need to make them barf up immediately, but the odds of them snapping up a chunk of poisoned meat is a reality around here and the peroxide also doubles as a wound cleaning aid so I don't mind the space it takes up for the value it adds.

3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

That seems really good and comprehensive. My only thought is whether the bandage is the support kind or the securing a dressing kind. If it's the second, I'd switch it for a crepe support bandage. If your dog sprains a leg, it'll help them limp home.

If you have a pet first aid guide, perhaps you could photocopy or type out the pages to treat the common problems this kit will be for, laminate them and tuck them in alongside the kit, for people who want to help but maybe aren't sure how.

4. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

It's the self-sticking type of wrap... It has some kind of bitter tasting stuff mixed in with the rubber to help keep them from picking at it.

I have some large SAM splints in my hiking pack if there is a visible break (just to keep it from flopping around, not to try and set it on the trail). I think I'd most likely pack him out if I saw him limping real bad on a leg. I wouldn't want to risk further damage if it was a break or soft tissue damage, and I forced him to walk out on it.

I keep a laminated card with all my info as well as the numbers and addresses for out local vet emergency rooms, as well as a little one-liner saying I'll reimburse the costs for your time/travel getting my pooch to the vet if found.

Good idea for the medical 'cheat' cards. I'll have to do that.

thegrouch314 likes this.
  5. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

Who makes the small vest?

6. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    OneTigris

Journo likes this.
  7. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

I tried a few different ones but I liked the fit on this one the most. This is the 'patrol' version. It's a lot shorter than the normal one, which I like for the high temperatures in the summer. I can dig up the link for the pouches too if you want the exact same load-out I'm running.

8. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

i would add some EMT gel.

9. 1967marti
    • +1 Supporter

1967marti Loaded Pockets

I was looking for some of that in OEM containers that are less than 1oz. I have one tube in the main outdoors kit, but it would be nice to find some small packs like you can find the neosporin in.

10. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Something to consider is a pair of Allis tissue forceps, the small interlocking teeth are great for removing ticks.

11. kscaddo

kscaddo Empty Pockets

Wow! I don't know how I missed this thread. I am also putting together a kit for my little buddy. Order a tac vest off the 'bay just yesterday. More good ideas here, thank you.