1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small ignition type pliers

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by parnass, Mar 29, 2006.

1. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

In addition to a knife and a Leatherman or SOG multitool, I carry a separate pair of Channellock 4.5 inch tongue and groove pliers, model 424:

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/4_5_inch_Tongue_and_Groove_Pli_P112C3.cfm

Weighing only 1.6 ounces, the USA-made Channellock pliers are lightweight and small enough to be carried easily in my pants pocket. The blue plastic cushions are comfortable.

The additional pliers comes in handy in a variety of situations, including turning a bolt with the multitool pliers while holding the associated nut with the Channellock pliers. The Channellock's jaws remain parallel to each other in most situations and don't slip off of the object they are grasping.

I bought the Channellock pliers at Farm & Fleet, but have not seen them sold at many other stores.

2. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

Those are nice, definitely look handy and the price is right. I'm almost thinking I saw them at Home Depot but you had to buy a package of 5 or 6 different Channelock pliers.

3. Lazermonkey

Lazermonkey Empty Pockets

I carry in my a fatboy a small ajustable wrench but I kind of like your idea a little better. O0

4. Nomad

Nomad Empty Pockets

I have a set of the channel lock small pliers. They are very much better than any others, except perhaps craftsman. Look closly at the groove shape. They are rectangular and will take quite a bit of force. Others use a slanted groove which will cause the sides to pop out of the groove and jam. I EDC the channel locks. After many years I retired my leatherman. Now EDC a becker necker as a belt carry, the channel locks and an a Doc Allen wrench.

5. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

6. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Mine, too.

todd

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The Leatherman Crunch is an interesting tool. It is a lot heavier than the Channellock ignition pliers (6.8 vs. 1.6 oz) and more complicated to deploy, though the Crunch's jaws have a much larger capacity.

Attached Files:

8. dakota

dakota Empty Pockets

Doc Allen wrench?

I googled it and come up with nothing.
    What is it?

9. dakota

dakota Empty Pockets

10. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

I see your point there, and as you already got a multitool there's no big need for all the extra's.
    Still want a Crunch though...

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I know that feeling. :)

12. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I don't carry channel-lock pliers but I do carry a Leatherman Crunch. Others have expressed their need (or want ;)) for this tool. Let me just say it is a very handy little tool. The design is very neat and it serves it's purpose well. Sometimes, I just play with it because it's amazing that it can fold up into itself like it does. I keep it in my bag for backup to whatever other multi-tool I am carrying. It is definitely a must-have for any multi-toolaholic! ;D

13. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

You obviously don't believe in the "Friends Don't Let Friends Buy More Multitools"-program do you ;)

14. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I believe in the Friends Tell All Of Their Friends About Every New Tool So They Will Buy Them All program! ;D

15. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I'm a charter member...

todd

16. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

I'm screwed ain't I :help:
    And I don't think there's a 12-step program either.

17. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

There is a program.  It is very simple yet somewhat expensive.  If you wish to enroll, check EDCForums daily to satisfy Step 1.  Once you do this, you may proceed on to Step 2 by choosing from an array of vendors presented here.  Step 3 speaks for itself. 

Personally, I practice this 3 step method and find it highly rewarding.  I can now leap tall buildings within a single bound...well, maybe not but I now have the night-vision of a cat using my newly acquired flashlights and I can also split a speeding bullet with some of my new blades I have acquired.   ;D

The Easy 3 Step Method
    Step 1: Look for items that you want (need).
    Step 2: Purchase said items.
    Step 3: Go back to Step 1.

18. paul810

paul810 Empty Pockets

Sometimes I carry around a little Vice-grip plier, similer to the smallest one in this picture, it comes in pretty handy as is seems to lock onto things better than just my hand strength alone preventing stripping whatever I'm trying to turn or hold onto.

[​IMG]