1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

small folding knife suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hex, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

When the RAT 1 was introduced in the German Messer Magazin 2/2007 the appr. price was ~€ 125!
    Usually the prices in € were same or higher as in $ even though the exchange rate was 1.40 or more.
    I guess Ontario just couldn't sell for a premium price like other big Co's

To me it would be well worth double price but I'd prefer a steel update.
    On the other hand I don't hope they'll make a D2 special edition of the RAT 2 as for the bigger version, my knife budget is so slim you could call it non-existent :p

Daywalker and dischu like this.
  2. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Ontario RAT II on amazon.com $26.50.
    Ontario RAT II on German amazon.de EUR 47,90.
    EUR 47,90 = 54,17 Dollar EUR.
    Double price.
    :eek:

Adahn likes this.
  3. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Im fairly new to steels so I'm just wondering if anything is better than AUS 8 at the price point?

4. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Well they aren't the toughest knives out there, but you can watch Vininull do as real "hard use" test to it, they ate actually pretty tough for 30$. The only tougher knife for cheaper is a Ganzo G704.

5. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

Well im not expecting them to be on the level of a High end flipper. But I'm wondering if they're equal to a good CRKT knife etc. Thats what I've used for years and it's kinda my benchmark for decent quality for decent price.

6. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Loaded Pockets

OP it sounds like you have your heart set on a Mini Griptilian. I would suggest just finding a lightly used one and get it over with because you are never going to be satisfied until you get it anyway. I've been in the same situation you are, except I live in the US so the knife laws are not as strict, but I've been in the situation where I really loved a certain knife and wanted one but just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on it. Well what ends up happening is you just waste more money in the long run on other knives that aren't really what you want only to eventually get the one you want anyway. So I would just go for it. The Mini Griptilian is a great all around knife. I have a couple of them now and I often reach past my more expensive higher end blades to put a mini grip in my pocket. Just get it over with. You won't be disappointed.

7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I've bought all of my knives via the bay or US online shops. Even with shipping and stuff it's always much cheaper.

8. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Yes, I like to show the price difference between US and Germany for the Rat II only.
    I got mine Rat II unused from ebay from a knife collector for appr. 30,00 EUR inclusive bill of a well known knife shop so I´m sure it´s original.

Talking about cheap small folding knives you should have a look on the Chinese Sanrenmu 7010 (formerly 710). 7cm blade in 8Cr14MoV and available in different finishes (black, satin, black stonewashed, camo ...). Appr. $7.00 shipped worldwide. A great small knife for a small price. Try it, it´s worth the money. It´s also called "Poor man's Sebenza" ;). It´s in my EDC rotation 2nd place behind the Rat II.

[​IMG]

The next small folding knive on my list is the Böker Plus XS in 440C stonewashed-finish and green G10 handles. This knife is legal to carry in Germany because it´s with a very strong slip joint (no lock).

NelsonIII and Daywalker like this.
  9. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

dischu Every knife addict should try the SRM 710/7010, even the ones who can afford the Sebenza.
    It's wiser to lend out a $7 knife to non-knife folks who do whatever with it :p
    It's also a great knife for modding, no harm done when it's not working out.
    [​IMG]

To me the biggest mistake is that it's for top-down carry only, that's why I don't buy them anymore.

The Boker Plus XS is a knife I'd like to try, too, when my budget allows it again, if not for anything else then to support its designer, our fellow forum member Daywalker :)

Daywalker likes this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

eBay.com about 27 USD plus shipping 10-13 USD = 40 USD = 35 EUR = about a third cheaper.

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You beat me on this one :D

Adahn likes this.
  12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

At least you're in Austria with the most reasonable law on knife and dangerous objects in general.
    Buy and carry any knife you want if you're 18+ as long as you know how to behave like a grown up person...

13. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I remember when BQM was selling Rat 1s for $80 apiece... I wanted one then, but waited. And it still took me until they changed the logo from simple and nice looking to ugly and gimmicky to get one in my pocket, even at $30. Still a fantastic knife for the money, though.

Adahn likes this.
  14. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Danke dischu!
    [​IMG]

Adahn likes this.
  15. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Adahn
    SHOWOFF!!!:D Great job Knifebro...and thanks for your support! A pic for you, the latest version of the XS in Satin:
    [​IMG]

Be safe!

Adahn likes this.
  16. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha hex

A LOT of great suggestions here. I will second the Manly and the Spyderco offerings like the Pingo or maybe even a Roadie. However...
    Try looking into the Boker Plus SubCom 42...can be found in Black, Pink, Orange, and Titanium. As mentioned, the XS is a good choice too, as biased as that might sound. :rolleyes:

Overlooked is the Svord friction folder, or even a Higonokami. There is a Higo type knife on evilbay that opens one handed and i believe the steel is D2.

Have fun choosing and be safe!

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Yes, this is really a nice knife and I'm glad it's not bead blasted ;)

18. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Rucksack or Forester. Locking blade, not one handed opening. Try Heinnie Haynes website. Brands - Victorinox. I understand that knives are excessivly expensive in Germany so it might be worth purchasing from them.

c99camper likes this.
  19. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Who knows after this Sunday's election...:(

Adahn likes this.
  20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I'm not even sure who would be more populist in that matter.
    Extreme right or left, they both like to lecture people what they think is good for them.

Better to use small non-locking knives then :p

[​IMG]

Btw, they disappeard from daily life in the 60s after the knife laws got tougher because a man killed people with a Katana.
    Interesting that a crime with a weapon had such influence on simple tools.

Water-Rat likes this.