1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small EDC Bag recommendation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jacobwilson99, Aug 13, 2014.

1. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

The family here at EDCF has never had any trouble spending my own money. Gonna need some help yet again.

I've been searching for the perfect small EDC bag. I've been using a Camelbak HAWG NV, which is an incredible pack. But I'd like to get something smaller. I'm a backer on Kickstarter for the Bolstr bag, which gets really really close to the size, style, and function I'm looking for. However, I'd like to look at some other options before fully committing to the Bolstr ( I have 16 days to change my pledge). I like most things about it, except the design is a little funky to me and I can't quite put my finger on it.

The famous Maxpedition Remora is a great option, but it's a little too thick (it comes out from the body further than I'd like). It's also too military looking for what I want this bag to be.

Hazard 4 Kato and Maxpedition Jumbo EDC looks a little big at first glance.

I'd like to carry things like: iphone, keys, wallet, notebook, pen, small tools (pry bar, tweezers, etc.), small backup knife, possibly an ipad mini, possibly a small book.

Sling/backpack carry are great. I don't want anything carried by belt. No fanny packs.

So what do I want?
    - Sling/backpack bag for small items
    - minimalist style
    - non military aesthetics
    - can hold item up to an ipad mini
    - Price? Preferably under $100

The Bolstr does all this, but I'd like to know if there are any other options out there.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hazard4 Kaito,look on Dvor right now.

I am trying not to order one too.

3. jacobwilson99

Nice bag, but I think it's a little too big for what I'm looking for.

4. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

Looks like one of the Tom Bihn cafe bags to me personally.

5. jacobwilson99

They do look really nice. If there was an X-Small I think I would have bought it immediately. I'll have to think about the whether the Small is too big, though.

6. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

while not really my style the topo mini mountain bag is kind of perfect for this size

7. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Spec Ops Pack Rat. Outstanding organization, has a spot for every item you mentioned plus a few more. Low profile, does not stick out. Yellow interior makes finding things a snap. Has D rings, all you have to do is add a black shoulder strap and you are in business. Plus you can thrown it in a backpack.

Whiteswoodworks likes this.
  8. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

If you like the Haz 4 Kato. They have a smaller version called the Tanto.

9. Bagnerd

Bagnerd Loaded Pockets

The Hazard 4 Tonto holds a LOT for its size.
    Very well thought out and holds up great.
    I would buy it again

AlgoOPC likes this.
  10. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Did you check out the HPG Tarahumara ? It's a little over budget but close.

HTH
    Mike

11. Whiteswoodworks

Whiteswoodworks Loaded Pockets

I like my pack rat. I also like the vertx satchel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Take a look at the Pac-Safe "men's bags" - likely to find something sized for what you want, but might be too expensive because of all the extra security precautions they build into their products.

13. Katjang1

Katjang1 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the German Brand Tasmanian Tiger. They have a small pack called the Tasmanian Tiger Essential pack.
    It's really small, very well made and affordable.

14. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

GGG SOP is a great small EDC choice and fits your criteria well IMHO.

15. jacobwilson99

That's a very nice bag, but more of a medium sized backpack. Bigger than I'm looking for atm. Thanks!

Looks like a great bag. More on the size of a medium sized backpack, though. Much bigger than I intend for this bag. Thanks!

The Pac-Safe InstaSafe 200 is ridiculously awesome. Likely a main contender for my second bag--to pricey at the moment. Thanks a ton for this recommendation. Awesome bag.

Little over budget, but also much larger than I'm looking for.

That looks really good. Very close to what I'm looking for. Maybe a tad to thick, being 5" off the body. Definitely on the list for my second bag, though.

This is a great recommendation. Thanks! I like the size, portability. I'd provide my own strap--which is a plus (customizability) and a minus (extra cost). The organization is perfect. I'm not sure how I would like carrying a clam-shell-opening bag tho. It's a great option and one I'll probably get in the future.

Thanks. This is still really big compared to the Bolstr and even the Tom Bihn Small Cafe.

16. jacobwilson99

OK! After going through all the options. I retracted my Kickstarter amount and put a Tom Bihn Small Café bag on order. They had the color I wanted and I think it'll be a great size and design for the moment. The wife also approved of the Tom Bihn over the Bolstr.

However, not I'm already shopping for my second. And the Pac-Safe InstaSafe 200 is a killer bag. Definitely at the top of the list, followed by the Spec Ops Pack Rat and the Hazard 4 Tonto.

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations.

17. Whiteswoodworks

Whiteswoodworks Loaded Pockets

The Packrat is pretty accessible by just opening it a little at the top. I keep my Nexus 7 in the largest pocket, and multi tools and pens and notebooks are also very accessible. You don't have to open the clam shell all the way up. If you want any pictures let me know.

-Stay classy

18. jacobwilson99

Thanks for pointing that out. I can see how it'd be pretty accessible since organizers all open up.

19. nine204

nine204 Loaded Pockets

I think the Tasmanian Tiger Essential is the bees knees. comes in OD, tan, black, and 2 camo types.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chrisbfu, andyang and SurvivePenna like this.
  20. rbent

rbent Loaded Pockets

Osprey Talon 11 size small/medium. Great bag, I carry a Surface RT, two moleskine notebooks, rain jacket, large first aid kit, typical accessories, and some glasses and still have room for other stuff. No military look so that was a huge plus for me.