1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small, easy, inexpensive sharpener for pocket knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Lunal_Tic, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I can't really compare the two but I've heard that the carbide sharpeners shred your blade, stripping a good bit of metal off.

-LT

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

That's one of the reasons I only used the Meyerco once or twice. Carbide can also easily increase the size of any nicks that are in the edge.

3. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

This guy --

Good enough for TAD it's good enough for me.

Cheap, too.

:pp:

4. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I'm pretty sure that's one of the carbide sharpeners mentioned above. I'm not sure that any given vendor's sale of the item constitutes a glowing endorsement. I'd put my trust more in the knife nuts we have wandering around here.

-LT

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Just received the Sterling Superior sharpeners I had ordered. I think I've finally found a pocket sharpener I can be happy with. Bear in mind that, while I can appreciate a good knife and admire some of the works of art that people carry around, I'm not a "Knife Nut" and my knives tend to be more of the daily workhorse variety.

I didn't realize how thin it was. Fits nicely in the pocket (or keychain, if you must), it could even go in a wallet.

[​IMG]
    The Sterling sharpener under my trusty A.G. Russell folder.
    Lansky sharpener in the background (notice how bulky it is by comparison).

Works great. Just made a half dozen passes starting with a "firm" amount of pressure and ending with a very light pass. It does use carbide blocks, but... There was a note in the included instructions that said that "marks" (I'm assuming "nicks" here) on the blade should be made true with a stone.

Other things I've tried:

various Arkansas stones (after years of trying, I could never maintain the proper angle)
    Gerber pocket diamond rod (too aggressive for my tastes),
    Lansky pocket sharpener (carbide edges and ceramic rods, too bulky for a pocket)
    Gerber pocket sharpener (course and fine ceramic rods, same problem as the Lansky)
    DMT diamond cards in various grits (same problem as the stones)

Might have to try one of the Redi-Edge sharpeners just for the heck of it.

6. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I'm a very amateur sharpener.
    I have the Sterling Sharpener and found it effective and easy to use.
    Maybe the knife gurus will see a problem but for me it works exactly like I want.

Luigi

7. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

I dunno.. The guys from TAD are pretty nutty knife nuts.

8. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

I am not a fan of the carbide sharpeners, but the Sterling is well made and is easy to use. The Lansky mini crock sharpener also is easy to use and well made. You can't go wrong with either.

9. elam79

elam79 Loaded Pockets

Lansky mini crock. Simple, unbreakable and will put a decent edge on just about anything.

10. fyrpiper

fyrpiper Loaded Pockets

If you carry a multitool such as a Gerber or Leatherman tha has a curved surface on the outsides of the pliers, you can use these just like a honing steel. I was bored in a meeting one day, got to fiddling with my knife ( Spyderco), noticed it wasnt as sharp as I'd like (OCD) and started running itt on the stell of the LM. Within a few strokes it would shave arm hair easily. It probably wont fix a dull blade, but consistent touchups will keep your bade a sharp as new. I have several that have never seen a stone or "sharpener" per se.

11. carlcastle

carlcastle Empty Pockets

In the spirit of EDC, with cost and portability in mind, I would suggest checking out a product called handi-hone made by razor-edge.

They are small pads of abrasive with an adheisive backing. You can put a pack of these in you EDC bag or in your glove box. Just stick one on a flat surface and you have a sharpener that will get a progressively finer grit to it until you have a leather-like strop.

When I was in the military, I would attach them to the humm-v's, radio equipment, tables, blocks of wood or metal, whatever I had around. You can also stick them onto a convexed or concave surface and sharpen the back blades of Ka-Bars, serrated edges, etc.....

Then aren't the most permanent sharpener in the world but they will get you thru until you can get home to a real set of stones.

12. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip, carlcastle. I've been using a steel and some benchstones from Razor Edge for years, but I hadn't seen those.

13. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

14. pnslts

pnslts Empty Pockets

15. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

16. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

When travelling, I carry a Gatco Tri-seps and a small medium grit arkansas stone, which have served me well. Both were quite inexpensive.

Anyone else has tried the Tri-seps? I find it great for both serrated and plain edge, although it is nearly impossible to do a full regrind. But good enough for touch-ups. Sometimes I will finish up on any available piece or cardboard.

Attached Files:

17. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I have one of those but just never seem to get the edge I want and swap back to my DMT. Maybe because it's so short.

-LT

18. ScottZ

ScottZ Empty Pockets

The best would be a small rectangle of leather and some fine sandpaper.  Plus, you end up with a convex edge which in my opinion, is hard to beat. Also remember, half (or more) of the secret to sharpening is to take care of the knife so it doesn't need it as often.

19. shecky

shecky Empty Pockets

I use one of these. Works well, very portable.

20. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

On my last CountyComm order, I got one of their Pocket Sharpening Stones. For field touch-ups, this little thing is a great compromise between quality, functionality, and price.