1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small, easy, inexpensive sharpener for pocket knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Lunal_Tic, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I'm looking for a small, easy to use, inexpensive sharpener for pocket knives? Some of my non-knife friends have recently started carrying small SAKs etc. and I'd like to give them a no brainer way to keep them sharp. It's unlikely they would take the time to learn to do it the correct way with a Spyderco sharpener or Lansky etc. This needs to be nearly as easy as opening their knife.

Let's hear some ideas?

TIA,
    -LT

2. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Lanski key-chain sized crock sticks. Won't do for really dull knives as they come only with fine rods but they work well. 4.00 ish.

3. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have one I received from Dave's Knife World. Work great!

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

The Lansky Mini Crock Stick Knife Sharpener gets my vote for occasional use by "non-knife nuts," too. I've given several away with positive feedback.

todd

5. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Loaded Pockets

A fine/extra fine DMT folding sharpener. here

6. Pwallwin

Pwallwin Loaded Pockets

7. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Have that one - while it can do the job, I wouldn't really call it "small"... plus there's the issue of carry, since it doesn't have any type of attachment point (guess you could drop it in a bag if all else fails :idiot2:).

8. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

The pull thru type are probably the best for non-knife nuts, where other types of sharpeners require a little knowledge of what angle to sharpen at and getting a consistant edge on a blade. I also have the Smith's sharpener mentioned above, it works fine for a quick edge on a SAK. Here are a couple of smaller sized sharpeners that might work.

Redi-Edge Compact Sharpeners

The Sterling Sharpener

9. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

Marbles also offers a pull through type...
    Amazon.com

10. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

11. mrmakochan

mrmakochan Loaded Pockets

I have the one from lighthound and am pretty satisfied with it. I've used it to sharpen my pocket knives and my kitchen knives.

12. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Just be careful if the blade has any knicks in it. The tungsten carbide discs can easily catch, and will make knicks grow larger if you aren't careful. After I did this to one of my Benchmades, I retired the Meyerco and replaced it with a Spyderco DoubleStuff, a great pocket-sized stone for those who are comfortable doing free-hand sharpening..

13. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Codeman what do you do when the disks get covered with metal dust?

14. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Same thing that Spyderco recommends for their ceramic rods - Ajax, Comet, or Bar Keeper's Friend, some water, and a toothbrush. I tried taking it apart once, using some Security Torx bits I got at a local electronics store, but the additional time that added wasn't worth the extra bit of clean I got for the effort. Using Ajax and a toothbrush works pretty well, but you'll have to tackle a slice of the discs at a time since you have to use the brush in strokes that don't spin the discs. Be sure to get it dry, too, afterwards. I used a hair dryer. I didn't know how corrosion-resistant the carbide discs are, so I didn't want to take any chances on them getting rusty.

15. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

16. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

The Gerber Diamond Knife Sharpener is also a nice handy sharpener. Doesn't do well on fine serration blades though.

Never had a problem with the Meyerco and have used it for eight years Codeman, but I use the diamond file first.

17. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I just received a couple of Lansky's Mini Knfe Sharpeners and made a very satisfying discovery. The ceramic rods are held at 40° inclusive. That perfectly matches the primary bevel from the SharpMaker 204, making it an ideal EDC touchup sharpener for me. Woo-hoo! ;D

18. Blackhat

Blackhat Empty Pockets

I'd also recommend the DMT minisharps. They are small, easy to carry, and do a great job.

As an aside, I'd also recommend getting a section of titanium dioxide welding rod. I was turned on to this trick by a pipefitter woh used a section to do the small serrations on his knives. It comes in different diameters so you can "custom fit" the rod to your serrations, and it does as good if not better job than a diamond rod. You do have to be careful though, as you don't have a handle to grip.

19. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

gerber pocket ceramic sharpener

paid 5 bucks on ebay

20. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Has anyone used both of these and can compare? I'm waiting for a Sterling sharpener I had ordered to arrive, then I saw the Redi-Edge. I know the Sterling uses carbide edges, but as for the Redi-Edge, I wouldn't know Duramite(R) from dolomite.