1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small+Bright+AA+Clicky... but No Fenix!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ZenDriver, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ZenDriver

ZenDriver Empty Pockets

I've been hunting around for a while to no real avail, so I am turning to you all at the EDC forum.

I own a LOT of lights, but I would love to standardize on a single model. Trouble is, I am having trouble finding exactly what I am looking for. Since the light world is *constantly* changing, I was hoping you all would show me stuff I am overlooking and point me in the right direction. So, here is what I am looking for and why:

AA Powered Simply because they are available everywhere for next to nothing.

Tail Cap Switch I've never had much success with twists. They almost always require two hands to operate, and I have had reliability problems with them in the past (though, those were older lights that were sort of cutting edge at the time).

Not Fenix I own a bunch of Fenix lights from 3-4 years old. Their reliability sort of sucks from my experience. I have 4 Fenix CR123 lights from back in the day, and only 1 works reliably. Unless they have gotten WAY better over the last couple of years, I really want to avoid them. Pretty much everyone and their moth recommends them, so perhaps this opinion is outdated and based on old lights?

Some things I have considered, but am looking for alternatives to:

- 4Sevens makes great lights, but their AA series is just as fat as their CR123 series lights... but longer. Why the heck is that?

-NiteCore I have a NiteCore Piston Driven NX10 (I think that is the model) that is years old and fantastic. Personally, it is one of my favorite lights. The hesitation I have with investing in 4-5 of their new PD lights is this: Nobody I respect carries NiteCore anymore. TAD Gear dropped them and 4 Sevens dropped them. Why? Crappy lights or inside baseball drama about how they run their (Chinese!) business? I'm gonna drop a couple of hundred on these lights, so I don't want to be stuck with a company that sucks to deal with, even though the 11.2 series looks pretty great. If my concerns about NiteCore as a company can be quelled, they look like the winner. Any information about this?

So, that is where I am at. I want to thank you all for answering! I've used the search function a bunch, but my questions are sort of broad and difficult to find definitive answers to. As such, I want you to know how much I appreciate your distilled knowledge!

2. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

JetBeam?? I have BK135A, it fits all described...

3. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

4. Zeros

Zeros Loaded Pockets

5. glockboy

glockboy Loaded Pockets

How about the Zebralight SC51?
    But it got size switch.

6. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I also suggest going with a zebralight sc51 I own a sc51w I am really impressed with mine.

If you are hung up on having a tailcap switch the Jetbeam PA01. I don't own one but I want one look's like a cool little light 4 modes and 140 lumen's in a very compact size and TAILCAP switch. 49.00 at lightjunction http://www.lightjunction.com/JETBeam-PA01-R5-flashlight.html

It's a good looking light to :)[​IMG]

7. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I'd make sure it has a ramping feature so you can set the lumens to the level you like. I have a 450 Lumen Jetbeam (IIIM) but I find that I use it more at 0.3 Lumens. Get something that offers you some options other than low - med - high. Make a list of what you like... for me it's a clicky, lanyard ring, tactical bezel, cr123 batteries & a pocket clip.

8. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

oooo i like that jetbeam, would be perfect if there was a pocket clip.

9. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I have several older Fenix lights dating back to the Luxeon I and III LED days and they have been reliable.I used my P1 and later P2D as EDC lights so perhaps you have had poor luck.My current EDC is a Quark 1XCR123 NW which uses the same head as the Quark 1XAA.That is one of the reasons the lights share dimensions but most of the AA clicky lights are larger and as wide as thier CR123 counterparts IME.The previously mentioned Jetbeam is probably one of the few clicky AAs that offers a size advantage over CR123 lights,there are more narrow twisty AAs available.I personally would go with one of the larger AA lights like the Quark.The Xeno EO3 looks like a great light for the money but it is about as wide as my Quark judging from the dimensions.

10. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Although a bit bigger than the PA01, the JETBeam RRT-0 might also be worth considering. It runs on either CR123 or AA (with an adapter), and also has infinitely variable output adjustment.

If you really want something small and tough, another choice would be the Peak El Capitan in stainless steel - very bright, especially on a 14500 Li-Ion cell. It is a twisty, but you can get a momentary switch as an accessory.

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Sunwayman V10R Ti.

12. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

So what did Fenix say when you emailed them about the bad spell of torches?

I've carried a P3D Q5 since 2007 perhaps earlier. Carried it daily. Never skipped a beat. Amazing bit of kit for the money. The only reason I've not upgraded is it's still fully functional and just won't die!

13. Dferg10

Dferg10 Loaded Pockets

The Terralux is awesome. I am a big Surefire fan, but for the price and AA capacity you cannot beat the Terralux. I have bought four of the LightStar models from Amazon. 1 in car, 2 in house, 1 gift to my Dad. You can't go wrong with this one...

14. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I am considering a Zebralight SC51w. Zebralight claims 172 lumens on a standard AA battery. It has a nice UI, clicky switch and battery lockout. Admittedly the switch is on the body but I can live with that.

15. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

+1. these are the best made as lights. Make sure to unscrew the tailcap a few mm to lockout the light from accidental activation in pocket.

They also take 14500 for that added oomph factor and have a very sturdy feel.

Xeno e03 did not stand upto daily abuse and the switch crapped after about two months.

--
    pl. excuse brevity & possible typos - sent from a tiny device.

16. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

The light that has worked for me is the Streamlight PT 1aa.

17. ZenDriver

ZenDriver Empty Pockets

Quick Update:

I snagged the Jetbeam PA01. Thoughts so far:

- Fantastic size!
    - Seems very well built.
    - Great light quality/throw/brightness, especially for the small reflector size.

- The button is a bit tough to reach. Good for pocket carry, so it is a wash.

- Big downside: The UI sucks. I have no confidence that the next time I use it, it will be on the brightness settings I want. A SureFire E1B type arrangement would be a huge win for this light.

18. TomH

TomH Empty Pockets

+1

I've been EDCing this light for almost a year, and if I lost it today, I'd immediately buy another to replace it.

That's how much I like this light!