1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small bombproof messenger

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by eighty, Mar 9, 2017.

1. eighty

eighty Loaded Pockets

Hey ladies and gents,

I'm looking for a small bombproof messger. I actually got a chrome chekhov (http://www.zappos.com/p/chrome-chekhov/product/8269976) which I love but it's just too short by about and inch to fit my ipad with a case. Is there anything similar that you can recommend?

What I like:

- small.
    - weather proof
    - flat when empty. so I can pack it with me.

Not so much:

- chrome buckle is cool but heavy

Any suggestions?

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just got a Mountainsmith Adventure Office Small messenger bag a few weeks ago and really like it. It's 610d Cordura HP (not sure if it's waterproof) and is well constructed. I like the smaller size compared to most messenger bags, but at 9L it's still a bit larger than your Chekhov.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have wanted to try a Blue Ridge Overland Gear Messenger but have no actual experience with one.
    I do have a few others of theirs and they are Bomb Proof for sure!

Also not a Messenger really but the Tom Bihn Pilot is an amazing little bag as is the Co-Pilot its little cousin!

4. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Mission Workshop Monty?

5. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch Outsider is my go-to messenger on the larger side. Emdom Baker Street bag on the smaller side. However my most bomb proof bag of that type is the HSGI Armordilla II but I don't know if you would consider that a messenger bag. Also I second the Mission Workshop Monty, ended up not keeping it but regret getting rid of it when its raining hard out.

6. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I picked up a Vanquest Skitch 12 a month ago. Not 100% waterproof but held up pretty good in the last couple stormy weather I had in my area. Built really well and appears to be just about bombproof. Great price too since it's on sale from them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I use a large Timbuktu for work, it has a rubber lining on the inside, and has held up well. They make them in small, medium and large, and various colors.

8. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Zulu Nylon Emissary Messenger. Or their Indy Satchel is a great small low profile messenger that will fit a small laptop or tablet.

Mephysto likes this.
  9. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase.

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Timbuk 2 has several series that meet you specs. Variety of sizes and materials if you want a personalized messenger bag.

11. Mephysto

Mephysto Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Indy Satchel by Zulu Nylon Gear.
    I have been using one since November - and for the first time in my bag-whoring EDC-conscious life, I have lost the need to look at new bags. I can now watch a review on some shiny nylon, lean back, smile to myself and say: 'Nice bag. But I have mine already.' A feeling I would have never imagined possible. ;)

Besides, any time I put it on with my hat, I am legally entitled to whistle the Indy melody. :p

12. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

Ortileb has a couple messenger styles that may work. The city and urban lines have a lot nicer looking and feeling fabric than the typical taurpalin but are still going to be completely waterproof.

13. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I can personally vouch for both Timbuk2 and Crumpler. The Tim was purchased about 6 years or so ago, still in fantastic shape. Great organization pockets. Tough vinyl type lining, totally waterproof material. The one I have was "custom" from which I understand is made in the USA, while other "off the rack" bags may be made in another country. My wife has a standard small messenger, and has used it quite often, and it has held up well.

The Crumpler is a big, open bag. You will need organization pouches. However, also super tough material. Seems to be waterproof stuff, but I am not sure. It's well made, but seems like a mail sack compared to the Tim. The Tim has a level of refinement with the many secure and separate pockets and panels.

dml24 likes this.
  14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

When considering a Timbuk2 messenger bag keep in mind Timbuk2 when purchasing a personalized bag one can choose from a variety of colors and materials. I choose a water resistant material that has proven to have no problem keeping light rain, drizzle and Michigan snows from getting the interior wet. The organization pouches are numerous inside and outside. That's what sold me on the Timbuk2!

15. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Arcteryx sling blade. /thread
    :)

16. eighty

eighty Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone, that's a lot of stuff to research here, but glancing at all of the options I guess the bombproofness is less important to me rather than the size. Chrome Chekhov is about 4L or so and almost completely (1" or so) flat, which means I can pack it with me.

Mountainsmith Adventure looks interesting, and so does the Arcteryx blade. I do have Mission Workshop Rummy, it's huge and monty is only a tiny bit smaller.

I still have to understand what Ortlieb and others have to offer! Thanks

17. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

The buckle on the Chrome Chekhov drove me insane. The strap is just belt webbing, so it flops all over, hitting you in the face when putting it on and off (bad for glasses wearers) and marring tables when you put it down. Apparently, replacing the buckle is the one thing the tailors in the Chrome shops are forbidden from doing, even if you bring your own. Also, found the shoulder side a little short, and I'm a small person, so where the buckle ends up on you may not be good. Lastly, it is really small.

If you are interested in that size, I'd look at the Rickshaw small or mini Zero bag, especially in X-Pac with flap straps (gives you overflow options and provides more security). It's more comfortable and versatile, allowing for high or low carry, and switching shoulders. And compared to Timbuk2, much better built while having a similar aesthetic (every Timbuk2 I've tried has blown out in a matter of days due to construction -- all US made items, and now there stuff is using pretty cheap materials).

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would have a look at a So Tech Mission Go Bag too.
    I have 2 of them now and they are issued to the Military and certainly rugged and weather proof but more than that they are a pretty unique bag in almost every way.
    They are on Ebay pretty cheap often enough and hold a lot more than the easily flattened shape might seem?

I have been using mine for everything from computers to food and water to tools for a while now and I love the design,features and construction and just keep finding more uses all the time.