1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small and light wharnie or sheepsfoot with finger choil and/or lock

Discussion in 'Knives' started by aicolainen, Dec 28, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

As the collection grows one has to look for new ways to identify something that's missing and justify another acquisition.

Lately I've been scratching my head looking in my knife drawer when I want to bring something small and light for those fast and light trips out in the woods.
    It's a silly thing and I could probably do just fine without it, but it's one of those habits that are hard to break.
    I bought the mini grip sheepsfoot for the same reason, but it's just too bulky and heavy for the kind of fast paced outings I have in mind.

My Dragonfly is quite spot on when it comes to weight and size, but I have the regular blade shape, which isn't optimal for this specific use case. I know there is a wharnie version that would probably be very good, but I also want a slimmer profile when closed.
    A slimmer profile would certainly be at the expense of the spydie hole that I've come to like so much, but for this application the profile is more important. It has to be a one hand open though.
    I would strongly prefer to have a finger choil for the added safety, actually I think I'll even prefer a choil over a lock if that broadens my options.
    Being meant for outdoor use, and obviously with emergencies in mind, it has to be grippy. I don't want to put any arbitrary limitations on scale materials, but with an emphasis on weight and grippiness FRN or textured CF is obvious options.

I would be surprised if I don't already know about some obvious candidates, but my brain is sedated by an overdose of Christmas carols and heavy food, so nothing really comes to mind right now. And there's always a possibility that someone around here knows a good candidate that I'm entirely unaware of.

cliffb599 and That Movie Guy like this.
  2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Well... Howzabout Fox Bean gen2 BF-719 by Serge Panchenco. Smaller but a good one. G10, titanium or wood

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

3. aicolainen

Now look at that. First one out, and already we have a knife that has slipped my attention.

As silly as it feels to say this, it doesn't seem to me like this one is appropriate for the application. No real choil, no lock and grip doesn't seem to be all that secure.
    With that said, I might see how this could fit into more of a regular EDC role. Lately I've been contemplating on getting a ZT 0230, which is also a double detent slippy. ZT claim it can be opened one handed, but I would like to see some more user experiences before buy into that.

The traditionally inspired non threatening knives appeal more and more to me for EDC. I don't require much from my knives in my day to day life, but some modern features like one hand operation is so practical that I feel it's almost a requirement. I have carried the BM Proper for just about a week now, and I love the un-tactical appearance of it, but the two handed operation is very frustrating at times.

Anyhow, this Fox Bean fits very much into the same category as the ZT, but on a very different budget, so it could be worth a try for EDC, but as for the topic of this thread, I'm still searching.

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I was all set to say, "Spyderco Roadie" until you mentioned one-handed opening. Maybe with an aftermarket thumb stud...

Water-Rat and aicolainen like this.
  5. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

My first thought was the Cold Steel Tufflite, but it would be wider in pocket than the Dragonfly. (ticks the other boxes though). What would you be using the knife for? I don't see much practicality in a wharncliffe style knife over a standard clip type blade for outdoor activities, perhaps I am missing something.

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. aicolainen

The use case is almost entirely made up, but here’s some background.
    I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but some (many) years ago I had a dog that got entangled in some old overgrown abandoned trash while running free in the woods. I wasn’t into edc at the time and didn’t have any useful tools to help me resolve the situation, which meant more pain, frustration and panic than necessary for the dog. However unlikely this is to ever happen again, I now have a 8 month old dog full of energy and curiousity, so the possibility is certainly there.

When I go hiking or just regular dog walks, weight and bulk isn’t so much an issue and some kind of appropriate knife is always part of the kit, but when I go running or cross country skiing I dress very minimal, pockets are few and next to useless, and any object in them will likely bounce around in a very annoying fashion.

There are obviously other options like seatbelt cutters and such, but a knife is also more versatile and that’s nice when you try to be prepared for all the thing you didn’t plan for.

7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I would suggest maybe a dragonfly salt in H1 steel that you could carry in your waist band. The part I am confused on is why the Wharncliffe style blade vs the regular blade shape. If you are looking for a blade specifically for "rescue" purposes, simply grind down the tip so it is rounder and less likely to stab, and if it is for that purpose, I would also suggest the fully serrated version.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 for serrated blades for 'rescue' situations; cutting a leash, etc. I also agree on a 'salt' type steel; H1 will do it but even better is the newer LC200N; better edge retention. You might also consider from Spyderco the Native Salt in either a PE or SE; this knife blade is the LC200N; blade is a 3" leaf shape and overall is a lightweight in pocket with great egos. The 'salt' knives have yellow FRN handles but if you don't like a yellow handle you can do a RIT dye mod yourself after disassembly or even better one knife seller, Knives Plus does this kind of mod and often has stock of already dyed knives....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. aicolainen

@Hangman I didn't even think to round off the tip, that broadens my possibilities significantly. Even so, I will probably need to look for a long time to find a better platform for this than the Dragonfly, and the H1 version is probably the best way to go.

@Moshe ben David Thanks. I already have a few knives in LC200N, including the Native Salt, and like it a bit better than H1. For this purpose though, I don't think it matters much if it's H1 or LC200N, I simply don't predict a lot of cutting with it.

One reason I never considered the Dragonfly salt before, was that I expected it to be heavier than the regular DF. My Pacific salt had a very heavy blade that I suspect must be significantly heavier than the FFG Endura. But I jut checked now, and spyderco list both Dragonfly and Dragonfly salt at 1.2oz.
    The Native salt, although light weight for its size, has significantly more weight and bulk than the DF, which feels weightless in comparison. For this purpose, that difference really matters.

Thanks for the input all. I was looking to see if there was a gem out there that I might have overlooked. It doesn't appear to be. The Dragonfly is really a great performer for it's size and weight, so I'm not really surprised to see it come out on top.

10. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Yeah I use the handle cut-out as a choil. And yes it stays in my collection to 'spark joy's there. Personally I EDC a blacked out Bugout. It is so slim and rides so low in the pocket as to almost disappear. Coupled with a LM Style CS on a belt hoop and a Pioneer X in my manbag. (I use the Bugout one handed)

11. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Also If you like the Firefly, take a look at the Spyderco Chapparral. Not much bigger in th pocket, but larger and better blade. The FRN handle is grippy af. I am lusting after the Spyderco Smock. Interesting shape on that one for sheepsfoot/wharncliff lovers and front flipper I do believe

That Movie Guy likes this.
  12. aicolainen

@Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen in any other crowd, this would be embarrassing, but I have to admit I have the Chapparral FRN as well.
    It's an amazingly nice knife, that fits my hand very well, but it's not very light weight with the steel liners and I would feel bad desecrating such a good blade to make it less pointy.

The Smock is yet another interesting knife, but I have yet to find a use case to justify a purchase. I won't admit to being a collector, so I try to make sure that any new knife fills a void or improves on another knife for a specific use case.

13. PragmaticMurphyist

Given the use case, I'd go right outside the box and look at a Leatherman in a belt pouch or other carry solution. Caught in cord, line or netting then you have the knife. Caught in wire and you've got cutters. Plus you're covered for a wide range of other uses.

14. aicolainen

@PragmaticMurphyist the idea isn't bad, but there's the weight. I would have the pants around my ankles before I even get out from my own driveway.
    Besides, even the idea of ever needing a knife for this purpose ever again is pretty far fetched, so I have to draw the line somewhere.

15. PragmaticMurphyist

Yeah, that's valid. (And thanks for that mental picture... Someone pass the mind bleach! :))

Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.
  16. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I kind of kept silent for a bit because I knew my suggestions were not likely what you were looking for. I love the sheepsfoot blade shape. The Sheepsfoot knives (Sheepsfeet?) I have include:

Roadie - a little small and doesn't one hand open quickly, but it will one hand open. Nice blade to have when you need something small and unobtrusive that can still be opened one handed if needed. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my medium size hands can fit four fingers on the handle but it is easier to handle with a lanyard.

Tuff Lite - a great tough work knife. Probably thicker, heavier, and shorter than you were thinking.

Kershaw Agile - A neat little knife, but probably heavier than you'd want with a cheap steel. Feels like a Cryo with a sheepsfoot blade.

Spyderco Salt - Like a Delica with a H1 Sheepsfoot blade. Mine is serrated and yellow, but you can get them in black handle and plain blade. The rescue is a similar size with more of a sheepsfoot tip. Unfortunately, if you think a minigrip is too big, this probably will be too.

GEC Calf Pen - probably not really what you were thinking of, but a nice traditional with a locking two hand open wharncliff and a non-locking one hand blade with a belt notch opener.

17. aicolainen

Yeah, well, gotta get on with the testing.

New year's eve workout in sleet and wind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18. aicolainen

@Water-Rat thanks for providing several choices there.
    I believe the dragonfly salt with a modified tip could be very close to perfect, but the regular (Delica) Salt might be an advice worth looking into. I used to have the Pacific Salt which I felt was a bit too large and heavy even for the much less weight sensitive tasks I got it for. The regular Salt seem to have a more reasonable blade stock and weight. Might even work for this..

19. PragmaticMurphyist

Dammit! I've been eyeing these up for a while. Now I might actually have to buy one! :rolleyes:

;)

20. aicolainen

Not a wharnie and not a sheepsfoot, but not very pointy either. And very interesting:
    TRM Nerd