1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small and durable flashlight needed

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Davidka, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

Hi,

After my Keychain fell off on the highway and the Fenix LD01 I had on it broke into two (but if you connect the two parts it is still working). I am looking for a replacement. I have a streamlight nano at the moment but hope to get something stronger and easier to find in the dark.

I would appreciate any ideas you have before I get another AAA Fenix. Maybe the E05.

Here we go... If more than one answer applies I've rated them alphabetically.

1) What do you intend to use this light for?
    I will carry it on my motorcycle Keychain. Stored in my bike or pocket or bag (I detach the bike key from the rest when riding). Will be used for finding stuff in my bag in the dark on the road, emergency fixes, might be helpful in emergency signaling, stairway light etc.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    Bought online and shipped to New York NY

3) Price Range: $1-50

4) Format:
    PART A:
    I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length: 1-3 inches. (Keychain sized) or a bit larger.

PART C
    Width: Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight: all these:
    b] Very light, can't tell it's there.
    a] Light, no heavier than a few keys or a small car remote.
    b] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb". Any.
    b] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less
    a] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    Any. Rechargeable will also be good.

7) How much light do you want?
    The more the marrier but I'll settle for as low as 15 lums if all the rest is perfect. A high mode of 100 will be nice but not a must.

8) Throw vs Flood:
    Throw (distance)----------------------|-----------x-----------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: at least a few hours on low mode.

10) Durability:
    a] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    b] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type: I don't care.

12) Switch Location: I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    b] A simple on-off is fine for me.
    a] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? I don't care.

15) Special Needs: none.

Thank you all for reading!

2. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

You cannot go wrong with the Fenix E05. A little larger is the Fenix E12, small enough to fit on a keychain.

Both IMOH, are great values at the price-pont.

The LD02 is an AAA light, $29.95 @ Fenix.

A little brighter than the E05 and it comes with a pocket clip.

• High: 100 Lumens
    • Mid: 25 Lumens
    • Low: 8 Lumens

Meets IPX 8 standard and the UI is through a tail pushbutton similar to the E12.

A lot of great AAA and AA light's available on the market now. However one can spend a lot more and purchase similar quality and performance.

Davidka likes this.
  3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The E12 is too big for a keychain in my opinion. The E05 is a tough light. I have the older design and love it. The more recent design has 3 modes and seems to be a versatile keychain light. You asked for a low/high mode setup. I don't really know of any lights in this size that are like that. Most are single mode or 3-mode. The only one I can think of is the Surefire Titan, which at $50 is at the top end of your budget.

Other brands with good smaller lights include Olight and Thrunite.

Davidka likes this.
  4. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Thrunite T01

• ThruNite T01 adopt cree xp-g2 R5 LED with a lifespan of 20+years of run time
    • Powered by 1 x AAA battery - max output 125 lumen - only 1 mode
    • T01 built with high quality & good heat dissipation with competitive price - best price for key chain light
    • Convenient twist switch design for better one handed operation
    • Kind note:10440 battery cannot be used in T01 flashlight
    [​IMG]

dml24, Water-Rat and Davidka like this.
  5. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

Thank you all. I already have the fenix e11 and it is definitely not a keyring flashlight. At the moment my shopping cart contains the e05, uc02 and uc01. I might order all three.

Thanks.

dml24 and Water-Rat like this.
  6. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

I know this is straying a bit from your criteria as far a lumens go, but have you considered the photon freedom? Small enough that you won't even know it's there, durable, led, waterproof, multimode, and still produces a respectable amount of lumens and runtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidka likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The uc02 looks interesting, I hadn't seen that before. It seems to fit your brightness/mode specs very well. The uc01 is very similar to the Nitecore Tube. The Tube is slightly smaller and from what I've seen in videos seems to have a warmer and more focused beam, whereas the uc01 seems to have a blue tint to the beam and a much floodier beam. One YouTube video I saw showed someone putting masking tape over the UC01's LED to diffuse the light and make it look warmer. Judging from manufacturer specs, the Tube has more throw to the beam. I like the modes on the Fenix better than the Tube's.

This video is unfortunately in French, but it has some good beam shots in the begining.

Davidka likes this.
  8. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

The photon freedom is a bit too basic for my needs, thanks.

It will be released later this month.

I might add to the above three a Nitcore Tube or Tip or both. Maybe I'll make a comparison video of my own.

Thanks again everybody!

Water-Rat and sc00ts like this.
  9. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

On second thought, after reviewing some video, this actually got my attention. Also these videos put down the rechargeables for shorter lifespan, especially if not used often. I still might include a rechargeable as well but at the moment Fenix E05 and the Photon Freedom are in the cart.

Thanks again guys.

sc00ts likes this.
  10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The least desirable feature of many AAA lights is the short runtime. Expected at high output. Lights that offer really high lumen output are a compromise light. That high output can often only be available for less than an hour before a new battery is needed. At least AAA's are easy to carry.

This short high output runtime is the reason single 18650 lights and AA/14500 lights are popular. The trade off is higher price and at least for 18650, 14500, C123 batteries, less available than AAA or AA types.

Of course this is not new information. Just one of many factors flashlight fans weigh every time a new light is considered.

Davidka likes this.
  11. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

... Maratac Running 10440 Li Battery ...​
    Trusty Rechargeable​
    I have carried one for years ... nice little light with AAA option.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Davidka likes this.
  12. jcr

jcr Loaded Pockets

Davidka likes this.
  13. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Though, most folks would consider an E12 too big for a keychain, I guess that's all subjective. I see some people out there with ridiculously heavy keychains, so I suppose it's still possibility but definitely pushing the envelope on bulkiness.

I'll throw two odd ball suggestions out there, since we've covered most of the well established small-ish Fenix lights...

1) Fenix CL05 - 1x AAA lantern style twisty keychain light with 7 modes. My wife has a pink one, comes in green also. Not a thrower, but usable soft even light for basic tasks.

2) Fenix UC01 - Tiny USB powered 45 lumen light, single button control, very wide beam. Not a ton of throw, but a wide spill. Convenient and battery efficient.

dml24 and Davidka like this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to suggest you at least look at the Fenix E15 too.
    This is a pretty small light,certainly works as a keychain light but the current version can hit 450 lumens on high which you might not use a lot but can sure come in handy when you need something blinding too!
    I have carried one since discovering the original version several years ago and it has been flawless.
    The current version is a little larger but a lot brighter and the only real downside is shared with all Fenix for some reason,they don't do really low output selections and I do not understand why?
    Aside from that though it is an ideal keychain option I think.

Its the one on the middle.

[​IMG]

Davidka likes this.
  15. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Do you really have three lights on your keychain or did you just do that for comparison?

Davidka likes this.
  16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ha!

Only the Fenix was on the keychain but I certainly could do it!

Davidka likes this.
  17. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

I loved the 4Sevens Atom A0 when I had it. (Gave it to a friend). Small, lots of flood, small magnet in the back. It made a great EDC light for up close work. Took it camping once, not great since you couldn't throw far, but the flood was amazing. http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=3140