1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Small Aluminium G-Hook

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ross2187, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

*I also posted this in General, to get exposure.

Hey guys,

Once I go down a path, I go down deep.. So wife and I are big fans of Bedrock Sandals, (look em up!) and the co-owner has this great basic Timex on a self-made nylon wristband, with a g-hook. I'm desperate for one of my own! I've contacted them several times to see if they will make me one, but it's not on their radar at the moment.

So I'm determined to make my own watchband similar to this guys. So here's the deal, the lugs come in at 18mm wide on the watch, and I've analyzed videos and pictures involving this band till the cows come home. CS from Bedrock tell me that the webbing used is from several years ago from their stock, I surmise that due to the spacing on the watch that it is in the 15-17mm area, so I've ordered a few pieces of webbing in this size.

The place that I'm stuck at is the G-Hook. I've attached a picture below. There are a few G-hooks available on Amazon and Ebay, that all of you have probably seen but they all come in at 25mm, and bear the name "LuckStone" across them. I've bought them for the process of making a proof of concept.

See the hooks here: https://www.amazon.com/Homyl-Webbing-Buckle-Accessories-Lightweight/dp/B07CDCZ2MG/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1524621194&sr=8-17&keywords=g-hook

Now I know things like the Sea To Summit straps have smaller, and even smaller G-hooks, but that seems to be the only place I can find them smaller than 25mm. But why can't I seem to find a source for a variety of sizes? I'm looking for a few like the one in the watchband pictured below. Possibly at 16-18mm, in aluminum. I wildly appreciate any and all help!

*Side note, I'm very well aware of the ITW G-Hook, and have a few on my TAD Litespeed. That's not what I'm looking for here.

[​IMG]IMG_1658 by rb2187, on Flickr

[​IMG]Image-1 by rb2187, on Flickr

2. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

No joy I’m afraid. The picture is from a Fossil Bracelet which uses the same type of clasp, but can’t find a seller of the individual clasps. Good Luck.

3. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Shoots, come on guys, someone has to know something!:frantic:

4. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Search google for bra fasteners, plenty of links come up. The downside is most are from Chinese companies that require a 2000 piece minimum order.

Did you ask bedrock sandals where they got the clasp?

5. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

6. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I did indeed, quite tight-lipped about it. Apparently, it was from R&D several years ago. Wouldn't give a source.

7. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

You could cut your own out of aluminum bar stock very easy, with hand tools and files...aluminum is pretty easy to work by hand (in a vice).

8. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know these hooks by other names?

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Well, no clue about names but if you check something like this on for example aliexpress and scroll down to 'similar' items you might find some interesting hits. Getting that exact same one pre-bent might be tricky.... if you have a local shop that works with stainless you could see how much they would charge to cut/bend/tumble you a dozen.

10. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I went out today and bought a digital caliper from HF today, been dying to for years and boy is it delightful! I got to measuring my watch straps and 1mm thick seems to be the ticket.

So, does anyone have any intel on where I can locate 15 - 18mm wide webbing that's 1mm or so thick? I've been scrounging the internets and there is so much webbing available out there!!

11. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

13. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

I used to think if McMaster Carr didn't carry it, it didn't exist, now I know the exception is G-hook clasps less than 20mm wide.

14. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

And webbing smaller than 3/4 haha, but its great to know they carry it!

15. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

16. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

jontay.com has some 5/8" wide